Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The Silent Z

Author Topic: The Silent Z
Wastrel
Member # 6532

- posted      Profile for Wastrel   Email Wastrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Please forgive my ignorance, but doubt has been lodged in my mind regarding this subject.

I went to a used book store last Saturday, looking for some books in the Amber series by Roger Zelazny.

When I entered, the two young men behind the counter asked if they could assist me. I asked where I could find books by Roger Zelazny (ZEH-LAZ-NEE).

One of the young men said "It's pronounced ZEH-LAY-NEE. The Z is silent."

"I'm pretty sure it's pronounced ZEH-LAZ-NEE", said I. A silent Z? Were they joking?

The other young man said "No, it's ZEH-LAY-NEE."

Not wanting to proceed further with the "argument", I asked them to show me where "his" books were, purchased a few, then left.

Even though I know I'm right, I still have this nagging bit of doubt burning in my mind. Will someone please douse my doubt?

Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite series of all time. I've often had trouble with his name myself.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
The name wasn't listed at behindthename.com (which often has pronunciations) and I couldn't find an official site for him and wikipedia didn't have a pronunciation either. Though I did learn that there is an Internet Scifi Database (isfdb.org). I thought that was kind of interesting. Maybe an imdb.com for spec fic books.
Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhere on a Zelazny site, there's a very old interview(from the early 70's). I burned it on CD--don't know where that got off to. Neither am I sure if the interviewer mentions his name.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1655

- posted      Profile for Avatar300           Edit/Delete Post 
From here: http://www.loc.gov/nls/other/sayhow.html#z

Zelazny, Roger (zə-LAZ-nç)

Posts: 78 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"It's pronounced ZEH-LAY-NEE. The Z is silent."

"And unfortunately, you're not. Now, where's my book located?"

-or-

"'Zis iz an inzult! How dare you dizparage my akzent!"

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wastrel
Member # 6532

Avatar300, thank you! The fire of my doubt has been doused. Google failed me. I could not find this in all of my searches.

"And unfortunately, you're not. Now, where's my book located?"

lehollis, I laughed out loud! I wish I'd had this line at the time.

Thanks all!

Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

LOL. Maybe they got Zelazny and Delany mixed up.
Wastrel
Member # 6532

Well, I suppose I should cut them some slack.

When I was quite young, my brother had a rather large collection of Robert A. Heinlein paperbacks. The "Robert" and the "A" were printed very close together on the spine. I was 12 before I realized it was Robert A. Heinlein and not Roberta Heinlein. :P

HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Well I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. ZelaZny back in 1991 and he did not correct me when I said "It is a genuine honor and pleasure to meet you Mr. Zelazny!".

I also knew Eric Wujcik who wrote the Amber RPG, which is how I met Zelazny and he used a hard Z though he called him Roger.

I think the guy at the bookstore had been sniffing too much newsprint.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Wow! I am very envious.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I was out of my teens before I ran across anyone outside published works who spelled "Asimov" the way Asimov did. Usually it came out "Asiminov" or "Eismenov" or somesuch. And some of these people were teachers.

My spell checking keeps telling me my own name is spelled wrong. Who am I going to believe, me or the computer?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.