Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did You Write? 10-15-07

Author Topic: Did You Write? 10-15-07
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Did You Write? 10-15-07

Are these notes working to embarrass you into writing? It is not working for me.
Keep in mind that world creation, as long as you are getting something on paper, and editing, even if it is someone else's work, is writing. Not just new creation.

I do have an excuse for not writing. I still don't have either of my normal computers back. My nephew should have my normal computer operating soon. He just has to add an operating system to it.
I do have something to write, it parallels my normal Waxy Dragon stories, but might not be part of the series itself. I will decide that later. The Bubblehead of my Waxy Dragon stories goes to a world of his grandmother and there he becomes a Woodworker that Waxy loves. He looks into the wood and sees the impressions left over by Elfin Children who hid their presents in the wood until it was time to gift them. He removes all the wood except what is in the impressions and those are his art pieces. Waxy Dragon was inspired by a wax candle sitting on my monitor. The teddy bears in the stories are inspired by teddy bears I own. I was recently given some plush fairies and I would use them as inspirations in this woodworker stories. I just need time to write the story. I doubt it will be this week. I lose a day this week due to a meeting.
So, the answer to my question posed by the title of the note is, No, I did not write. As to the other question of embarrassing me to write, I can also say NO, that never works.....

Tonight, I will be two story ideas ahead of the month as I post tonight's story ideas on the four other boards I post them on. I got excited about two of my story ideas, and left work early today, so I wrote both of them. They were fun to write and likely quite dumb. I like them though.
For me, the most pleasurable parts of writing is the beginning the story, and the finishing a story. The closer they are together, the better I like it. I also do not care to edit. I would rather spend my time creating the stories and worry about working them to publication levels later.
With my story ideas, I get the best of all worlds. I get the excitement of starting a story, and the pleasure of finishing a story, usually within about an hour of each other. I also post them raw, other than a spell check (I like my magic correct) so I don't worry about editing. Another advantage is that I get to explore another story each and every night. The problem is that I have to come up with, or choose, another story each and every night to write.
My compost pile, the pile my "to be posted" story ideas are sitting in, is quite big so finding something to post has not been a problem for a long time. I call it a compost pile because ideas not worth posting, slowly sinks to the bottom of the stack. I just did a count. I have two compost piles. One is rotting nicely but not yet fertilizer that has 170 ideas. these may never see the light of day, ever. My working stack has 70 ideas in it and a lot that are quite usable. Back in February, I had split out the story ideas and had 32 in the usable stack, and have been posting every day this year and still increased it to 70.

I have a turning club meeting Thursday and am working to get some project ready to show off there. I had a good weekend for working. Other than a few coats of final finish, my duck bowl is done, and looks good. I also made some Christmas ornaments this weekend - doves - that I carved as an experiment to see if they would make a good ornament. I happen to know that the work displayed at the club meeting will be far better than anything I can make at this time. I am happy with my results anyway.

I would describe my club meeting in story form as to where a young craftsman has worked all his life to make something worthy of display in front of the king. Craftsmen from all over the kingdom will show off their work. The king and their family will select the best pieces for display in their palaces, and will pay handsomely for the work.
The craftsman arrives and as one, the artisan set their works out on the tables, then walk around the tables in a line until they return to their paces so they can see what they are competing against. The craftsman is heart broken. Their pieces are finely made, finely finished, embellished with expensive finery. His, in comparison, is strange. The royal family arrive and look over the pieces. The princess keeps walking back and looking at the craftsman's piece. They get together and talk. The princess brings the family over to look at his piece. They look at the ones they thought were good and finally come back and selects his work as the best. The other craftsman are shocked. The king says that this is because it is different, more interesting than theirs. The princess and the craftsman could also become good friends after that as he makes new pieces for them in the palace.....

So the answer, in my case to the question of DID YOU WRITE?
I did not
Did you?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
no i didnt have my computer with me today. i am using a company computer at my friends work.

i still posted

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

I did. I worked over my collaboration. (Like Rocky Balboa worked over a side of beef.) And I've started on the next chapter.

Made a change or two on my Apocalyptic Taco Mix challenge/WOTF entry.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
No. I was away last week---in and around Charlotte, NC and Atlanta, GA, if anybody's interested---and I really didn't have the time for it.

I generally just "let it go" with being online and all that stuff while I'm out there. I'm not tempted by the options I see while traveling. And I don't own a laptop so I couldn't take my computer with me---it'd just be one more thing to keep track of and worry about losing or leaving behind---in fact, I did leave a pair of shoes behind in one motel by mistake.

Now that I'm back, I hope to get in the groove and get something going by the end of the week. Also I hope to print out what I've written of my novel, so I can work on rewriting it with a better eye for what was going on around what went on in my on-stage characters' lives.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a little on my current WIP, but have started psyching myself up for NaNo, 2 weeks away now

I have created a rough plan for my NaNo piece, but with enough flexibility to allow more in if I require it. It seems to be going well so far.

So, yes I wrote and consider this another pass

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in Oregon all last week supervising the finish work on my bronze, "Elegance" (it's gorgeous!), but I had my laptop with me and worked on a final polish of my novel, "Star Sons: Dawn of the Two." I wanted to work on the new one I'm nearly finished with, but there was no time - polishing a 400 page novel takes a long time!!

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricia V
Member # 6324

- posted      Profile for Tricia V   Email Tricia V         Edit/Delete Post 
rstegman, perhaps you should put your excuses together into a book.

Still, I appreciate the weekly shout out.

Can I say I wrote? Not really. But I think I've figured out what was wrong with me, so that's progress, anyway.

Woolf apparently said a woman need's a room of one's own in which to write. I'm finding time of one's own to be a bigger challenge.

I also think the impending Nanowrimo is sapping my writerliness. Like that project is in the forefront of my mind, but due to the rules of the contest there's not much I can do on it.

[This message has been edited by Tricia V (edited October 16, 2007).]

Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I worked on my synopsis for Falcon and a working outline/synposis for my collaboration.

Now that I delayed working over the said collaboration by a day, I need to log off and start on it.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! I've got a blog post drafted (for a new blog I'm launching), a memo for the PTA, some stuff with the non-for-profit I volunteer with....wait a second. What about FICTION???

But seriously, I did some of that too. Mostly I am working on my outline for my Nano project. I am trying the snowflake method, which I am finding really interesting and a good fit for me for right now. Got me over a hump with plot I was struggling with. I hope to enter nano with a good 20 page outline or something really solid to sink my teeth into. When I get raring, I can easily type 3-4k words in the 2 hrs I have free 4 days a week, so I'm hoping that solid outline will help me keep trucking.

I also did a Liberty Hall flash. I used it to explore some ideas that have been pecking at me but have no place in my Nano project.

Heaven knows I need to work on my Apocalyptic Taco Mix story. I think I only have 2 paragraphs written right now, no plot (but a setting, yay me.)

All-in-all, not a bad week for me!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
KayTi, hehehe! Yeah, I worked on a software user manual and some technical memos...

Also started a new short story. Never wrote one before, so I had to do the crash course (Internet research) on what makes a story half-way decent. Its painfully slow going -- I'm too embarassed to admit how much time vs. number of words so far

Its good practice at making every word count, but my hubby says I'm not there yet. Hmph.

Sorry to say, this thread does not inspire me to write. But an upcoming F2F writer's group sure as heck does!

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricia V
Member # 6324

- posted      Profile for Tricia V   Email Tricia V         Edit/Delete Post 
My boss is out of town today so I probably could do some writing. I have to pretend it's nightime when I will be wondering where my day went.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.