Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » throwing a Slush-ball

Author Topic: throwing a Slush-ball
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
So, I'm curious. I was thinking of sending my WIP first to a slush pile and second to an agent, after I get rejected from the slush pile, but I got to thinking... (a dangerous habit)

And... does anything ever get taken seriously in the non-solicited slushpiles? Or is it just a colossal waste of time?

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
From everything I've seen (take with a grain of salt), it's difficult to get chosen from a slush pile at a major publishing house--very difficult. The way I understand it, you have to pass four slush readers before any editor will give it a read.

Also, I think you would shoot yourself in the foot--so to speak. An agent can't sell what has already been rejected to said publisher.

I think you have to make a choice.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited October 18, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably it shouldn't be submitted until it's no longer a WIP, but actually finished, at least until you have a track record. I'm not overly fond of doing things their way, or seeing the necessity of doing so...and I certainly wonder how seriously they actually view the slushpile. (I waded through a lot of bad Internet Fan Fiction in my day---but probably not as much stuff altogether as these poor slobs do in one day.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Zero, it depends.

Some places like Imjinn Books do not work with agents. They want direct queries. But if you are aiming for TOR - a company that takes both unrepresented queries and agented ones - the agented queries probably will get more consideration because the agent knows who and how to target the editors.

Obviously, if you foreclose a lot of open markets by being rejected as slush you make it: (1) harder to get an agent; and (2) harder for the agent to sell (because you've limited the market).

But just like whether or not to have a scene, it's your choice to make.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Oh good advice, thanks. I hadn't really considered that I'd be narrowing the market by getting a rejection, but that makes sense. And yes falcon I was thinking about Tor, and now I'm leaning strongly in favor of seeking an agent.

Any recommendations?

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hteadx
Member # 6563

- posted      Profile for hteadx   Email hteadx         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out agentquery.com

I would also suggest checking out verlakay.com it's for people that write children's books. But there are many published middle grade and YA authors, in sci-fi and fantasy, that post on the board. They have a forum for information on Agent response times and tons of other useful information.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Robert hit a major issue on the head, and everyone seems to have missed it or ignored it.

Probably it shouldn't be submitted until it's no longer a WIP.

If you think you'll have a hard time getting out of the slush pile (regardless if it belongs to an agent or publisher) with a simple submission, just tell them that what they're about to read hasn't been completed yet.

Miss Snark has, I believe, the best advice on this topic. Finish your novel, then edit, then edit, then edit again. Once it is perfect, or as close to it as you can get it, start querying.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

haha, yeah, I understand.

I don't intend to submit anything anywhere until it's finished, ground, and polished. That much is obvious, but I like to think ahead. You know, try to see the end form the beginning.

DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to note, when you are ready to find an agent, http://www.querytracker.net/ is also a good resource.
Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Zero, it's a good idea to plan ahead. Making a good list of agents and checking to be sure they're who you want to sub to is a time consuming task if it's done right. I am taking a lot more time on it this time and I think it will pay off. I learned a LOT on my last two novels.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Hopefully I can benefit from your experience with this.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.