Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » rejection

Author Topic: rejection
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been gone for a few weeks -- sprained my wrist and couldn't type, and then had a lot of work to catch up on.

When I went to the post office today, and saw yet another manila envelope with my name and address in my own handwriting, I was ready to throw in the towel. I really enjoy writing, and I've gotten some kind and helpful comments from hatrackers, but if people don't want to read what I write, I can't think of any reason to keep on wasting my postage.

Then, I read the rejection letter, from Janet Hutchings at Ellery Queen. "Thanks for letting EQMM read "Heaven and Earth". I wish we had space for every good story we see. We enjoyed this one, but unfortunately it does not suit any of the spaces we currently have open." It made me realize how much of a role luck plays in selling fiction, and you can't get lucky if you don't play the game.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent point, Rick. We have to keep in mind that rejections have a lot of reasons. And every story I've sold has been rejected before it was sold. Tastes differ. Opinions differ. And you have to have the luck to have good timing. Never give up.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave up attaching significance to any of my rejections---I hope someday to attach no significance to an acceptance, but that's still in the future, maybe.

Of course the number of rejections I've gotten lately have gone down along with my output---this year, it's a total of two. I should try writing something else and bringing that number up before the end of the year.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I've had a terrible time writing (or not writing) short stories this year, so I know what you mean, Robert. I can't seem to get any finished. I've done a total of five that I considered worth subbing. I have about 6 that ended up trunked as a "snipped" because I decided for one reason or another they just weren't going to work. I wish I were better at writing short stories. And I think I may have mentioned on this forum the rejection I got from Shimmer on one of my current crop, saying I should turn it into a novel.

It is hard not to put more significance on a sale or "good feedback" than on a cold rejection. I used to think that once you "started" making sales they would necessarily come regularly after that. I was disabused by editors of the notion.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited October 24, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Rick - Congratulations on the "rejection"! Keep playing!
Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, rejections aren't so bad. Kevin J. Anderson--who has the world record for attendees at a book signing AND was the highest paid science fiction author (6 figures when contracted to finish Frank Herbert's Dune series)--also has the most rejections, by weight, of any other author.

Fair trade?

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited October 24, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
But, as Daffy Duck once said, "I'm not like the others. Pain hurts me."
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Ruyle
Member # 5943

- posted      Profile for Jon Ruyle   Email Jon Ruyle         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of us are in the same boat.

I was listening to NPR a few months back and some guy was going on about how the only reason for making art was for the sake of the artist. "Wow... this guy obviously knows nothing about art," I thought. Turned out he was a famous artist (though not famous enough that I remember his name )

Anyhow, I'm still not sure I agree with the guy, but it had an effect on me. Shouldn't it be enough that I enjoy writing? The desire to create is a part of being Human. One of the good parts.

I'll keep writing. If someone reads what I write and enjoys it, great. If not, well... *I* enjoy it. One can only do what one can.

Sounds like you're close... no doubt you'll get published if you keep at it.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Rick, I like what you write -- so it must be good!

And, sooner or later, you'll click with an audience and editors will buy your name. I just recently saw an author I critted at Critters published in Asimov's and Analog so it is possible.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this is a world record or not, but I was rejected last week within two hours of an online submittal to an agent. The reply: "I'm not the right agent for you."

I was happy in a sense, because many agents say they don't reply unless interested and make you tie up the story for months waiting on a non-reply. "Such agents are disppppppppickable," said Sylvester the Cat.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sakubun
Member # 5719

- posted      Profile for sakubun           Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could take my philosophy...

If you never submit anything, you never get rejected.

It's sad I know, but getting out of analyzation paralyzation is tricky. As soon as I decide to write something I get a whole new angle on it.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.