Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Basic Grammar: Toward vs Towards

Author Topic: Basic Grammar: Toward vs Towards
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone help me here? I'm at a loss, what is the proper time to use toward vs towards? I realize this is basic but, you know what you know. And I don't know the answer to this.

If I were to make up a convention it'd be as follows:
He moved towards the bar.
They moved toward the bar.

My gut says "He moved toward the bar," is correct. So, I don't know.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
Unlike "farther vs. further" (farther generally used for distances only, with further used for more abstract concepts), I believe the correct answer is to use whichever one you want. Like forward vs. forwards, backwards vs. backward, towards/toward are interchangeable spellings for the same word. Generally speaking, I think it just depends on your on what region you live in, whether people usually say toward or towards.

So use them in whatever combinations you want, whichever one sounds best for any given instance.

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Backing up AstroStewart:

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/between-versus-among.aspx

Complete with references!

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alethea Kontis
Member # 3748

- posted      Profile for Alethea Kontis   Email Alethea Kontis         Edit/Delete Post 
I edit both US and UK authors for a major publisher -- our rule is that the "s" (towards, afterwards, backwards, etc.) is for the UK authors only.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Very interesting. Why is that? Sort of like rumor vs rumour?
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny, as an Australian, 'towards' sounds informal and relaxed to me. 'Toward' feels more like your trying to impress someone.

I don't know why.

If you were to use 'toward' in conversation most people would notice on some level but not say anything.

weird... I will have some deep therapy and get back to you.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Zero:

quote:
Very interesting. Why is that? Sort of like rumor vs rumour?

Nah. That'd be "toward" vs. "touward". Or "toward" vs. "towaurd". Or even "toward" vs. "touwaurd".

You knouw houw thouse British types like to lyttere their wourds with all kynds of alphabetycalle refuse. Maniacs, they are.

[This message has been edited by trousercuit (edited October 29, 2007).]

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

hahaha! genius!
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, you're right trouser, and count the Australians in on the fun. They even put an extra "i" in aluminum! My sisters and I thought that everyone in Australia was just pronouncing the word wrong, until we got hold of an Aussie dictionary and found that it's spelled (or is it spelt? LOL) aluminium. Honestly, were vowels cheap that day?
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaldea
Member # 4707

- posted      Profile for Chaldea   Email Chaldea         Edit/Delete Post 
Just thought I'd put in my two cents here.
As a news copy editor at one time, our rule was to omit the "s" on such words in question; toward, backward, forward, etc. But in other literature, both are correct according to most English usage reference books.

Posts: 75 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
'Honestly, were vowels cheap that day?'

Interesting question ...

'In 1807, Davy proposed the name alumium for the metal, undiscovered at that time, and later agreed to change it to aluminum. Shortly thereafter, the name aluminium was adopted by IUPAC to conform with the "ium" ending of most elements. Aluminium is the IUPAC spelling and therefore the international standard. Aluminium was also the accepted spelling in the U.S.A. until 1925, at which time the American Chemical Society decided to revert back to aluminum, and to this day Americans still refer to aluminium as "aluminum". '

From http://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/text/Al/hist.html

I spent a whole afternoon once in America wondering how you guys made aeroplanes without ever having heard of aluminium!

Edited to add: My Oxford English Dictionary defines 'toward' as a mostly North American variant of 'towards.' I think this is one example of the many subtle differences between American and British English. (And if I'm not mistaken the Aussies use British English spelling albeit with some local vernacular.)

Here's an interesting page on 'Americanisms' from the Economist's style guide for British journalists writing for an international audience:

http://www.economist.com/research/styleGuide/index.cfm?page=673931

Just 2c,
Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited October 30, 2007).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

Fascinating! I've only seen this from the American side - a list of "Britishisms".

[This message has been edited by trousercuit (edited October 30, 2007).]

trousercuit
Member # 3235

That's really annoying. The author can't make up his mind whether the reader is supposed to follow American convention or not.
Zero
Member # 3619

Yeah---could have had a lot more clarity, the writing skill was lacking.
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah---could have had a lot more clarity, the writing skill was lacking.

Perhaps you could rewrite it as an exercise and make it clearer. heh heh

That's a great article.

I once heard an American politician use 'happify' in a speech.

Happify?

Amazing.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited October 31, 2007).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Don't forget truthiness!
baduizt
Member # 5804

- posted      Profile for baduizt   Email baduizt         Edit/Delete Post 
These must be George Bushisms :P

Cheers

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Actually mine was Colbert.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.