Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Strange SF

Author Topic: Strange SF
sakubun
Member # 5719

- posted      Profile for sakubun           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any suggestions for really "out there" SF?

Things along the lines of Cordwainer Smith's Underpeople.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Cordwainer Smith was my first thought on seeing the topic title...for some other really outre stuff, I'd recommend the works of James Tiptree, Jr., if you can lay your hands on any of it.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Iain Banks and his "Culture" novels. The two I know best are EXCESSION and LOOK TO WINDWARD.

After more thought -- what about Karl Schroeder, especially his novel LADY OF MAZES.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited November 01, 2007).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sakubun
Member # 5719

- posted      Profile for sakubun           Edit/Delete Post 
James Tiptree, Jr. (August 24, 1915 – May 19, 1987) was the pen name of American science fiction author Alice Bradley Sheldon, used from 1967 to her death. She also occasionally wrote under the pseudonym Raccoona Sheldon (1974–77). Tiptree/Sheldon was most notable for breaking down the barriers between writing perceived as inherently "male" or "female" — it was not publicly known until 1977 that James Tiptree, Jr. was a woman.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
James Tiptree, Jr. (August 24, 1915 – May 19, 1987) was the pen name of....

Off topic, but yet another writer that shares a birthday with OSC (myself included.)

Too bad it really doesn't mean anything for literary success.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Brian W. Aldiss wrote a novel about these aliens (at least I think they were aliens), who, essentially, live in, er, a certain word beginning with "S" that we agreed not to use here. I read it...but I can't remember the title...

Is that weird enough?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
The Aldiss book was 'The Dark Lightyears'.

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Yes, that's it. Probably blotted it out because the subject was so unpleasant...

For an odder turn of thought, and usually a funnier one, try the stories of Howard Waldrop. The ideas are so bizarre that the stories stay with you...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.