Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Reusing ideas

Author Topic: Reusing ideas
gobi13x
Member # 6837

- posted      Profile for gobi13x   Email gobi13x         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not know what the rules are for this sort of idea. If you summited a short story and it got published in a magazine, could you let reuse the basic idea, such as world or characters, for a novel or another short story? I was just wondering.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what you mean by "basic idea." You can't sell the same work as though it hadn't been published. But you can certainly use the world and characters in more stories.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited November 10, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a short story published, you can certainly turn it into a novel. I did.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Or...you can write a bunch of stories (short and / or long) with the same idea (and / or characters), then stitch them together and file off the rough edges, and produce a novel that way...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I can think of writers who reuse almost exactly the same plot, setting, and characters over and over. Of course, the words have to be different.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I had an idea for a story, but I couldn't decide which of three versions to write, so I wrote them all. I also sold them all.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell us more.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck there are some writers who change the story but write the same words.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gobi13x
Member # 6837

- posted      Profile for gobi13x   Email gobi13x         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback. I think you have successful answered my question.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Some writers write the same story and only change the title and cover, and then they only change them slightly.

On a COMPLETELY unrelated note: James Patterson.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.