Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Emails

Author Topic: Emails
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
In a section of my current WiP, there is an exchange of emails. My question is, do I write them in italics, bold, or some other font different to the one I'm using, to distinguish them, or just carry on with the same font and style as the rest of the story?
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Courier?

Or is that too old fashioned?

Assuming the story gets printed in Times Roman (that's common, or some other serif font like Garamond) you might consider Arial, which is the default font for many e-mail systems.

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if you could simply put it into the body much like a text version of headers, with only the current message showing. (Card does this in several of his Shadow books. Specifically in "Shadow of the Hegemon," so that is a good place to look for an example, as well).

Something like:

to: rugen@florin.gov
subject: Ongoing Funding, Pit of Despair

Dearest Tyrone:

While I understand your commitment to bringing the highest
quality of pain, torture and humiliation experiences to our
current prisoner population, it is time for us to seriously
discuss certain limits in your prospective pain induction
research budget....

I think that something like this will provide you with legitimacy of address in the to/from lines, as well as even give the reader some cues through the subject line. I do think that it has to be well thought out, but I think its effective if done well (not saying my example is either of these...).

Also, since it will likely be more than six lines long, they could be indented a half an inch from the left margin, which would specifically set them apart from the rest of the text.

Hope this helps,

Thane

[This message has been edited by Igwiz (edited November 21, 2007).]

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
I love in-book emails and letters. It's really a great immersive technique. The way Card does it works pretty well.
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose in a printed MS the email could be in Arial and the rest in Times New Roman. Or vice versa. The final typesetting might have to wait on what the publisher thinks.

In my Internet Fan Fiction days, I passed around a couple of stories where I played with different type in text. Had to give it up---a lot of people said the text showed up as gibberish.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
The SFWA says here:

quote:
  • No fancy formatting within the manuscript. Indent each paragraph five spaces (1/2 in.). Indicate italics by underlining (do not use italics; they are easily missed). Indicate boldface by drawing a wavy line beneath the text and writing "bf" in a circle in the margin. Do not hyphenate words (the typesetter will include the hyphen so the word might read "Schenec-tady"). Do not right justify the text (you may like it, but it's harder to read -- especially on long paragraphs -- and it messes up word counts).

• Unfortunately, they don't tell a standard for epithets--which is what standard (I assume) that you would use.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited November 21, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
    Administrator
    Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
    You can include instructions on how you want the emails to look in the final printing, though. Usually things like that are sent to the editor after the story has been purchased in what is known as a "style sheet."
    Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    InarticulateBabbler
    Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
    Thanks Kathleen, I was wondering how you'd do an epithet, so was hoping you'd anwer.
    Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    darklight
    Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
    Thanks all for the advice. It will be put into practise once I get around to edit.
    Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
    Administrator
    Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
    Been trying to find something online that talks about style sheets for novel publication, but it appears that web design has co-opted the term, and locating anything through Google is becoming prohibitive.

Maybe there's something on some of the editor or writer blogs out there?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    InarticulateBabbler
    Member # 4849

There's an interesting post on "style sheets" here, which is Deanna Hoak's blog (She's a freelance copyeditor that does a lot of work for TOR). I haven't seen anything on epithets yet, but I'll let you know if I find something.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited November 23, 2007).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
    Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.