Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Is this cheating?

Author Topic: Is this cheating?
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I admit it. I steal historic battles. I am currently doing a battle that is... well, it's a blatant rip-off of the Battle of Stirling Bridge as far as the set-up and strategy. Hey, it was a GOOD battle. (Pfffft any battle the brits lost is a good battle but don't tell our friendly neighborhood brits I said that)

But is it cheating?

Edit: Did I ever mention that in addition to a couple of English degrees I had an undergraduate minor in history? lol

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited November 26, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
No. You wrote what happened, it is irrelevant were you got your inspiration.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if you don't give credit to the soldiers who actually participated in the battle, you should be able to use a real battle in fiction.

Is it cheating? Well, in a way, because you didn't make up the battle yourself. You didn't do all the research into tactics and strategy and come up with your own battle. But, so what?

As you say, it was a good battle. Just don't use someone else's words (plagarism) to describe it. It's not cheating to describe it your own words.

And if you feel guilty about the borrowing/use of the battle, you can put something on your Acknowledgements page giving credit to those who fought that battle, and that will make the few who recognized it as they read it feel really cool for having known which battle you were basing your battle on.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I like the idea of giving credit to the soldiers, Kathleen. Thanks for the suggestion. And anyone who recognizes it would deserve to feel good about it.

Edit: I have done quite a bit of reading and research on strategy, I should say. But sometimes the real thing just seems to me to FEEL more real, maybe just because I know that it worked. Actually, it's necessary to tone down some of the dumb decisions the English made. No one would believe it in fiction. LOL

And my battle does involve the use of magic, which I'm told the Scots did not have access to.

It was one of those serendipity things. I wrote early on in the novel that there was a bridge that somewhat resembled Stirling Bridge although it's a bit wider. Then later I decided there would be a battle at the same town. Sterling has always been one of my favorite battles. (Too bad Gibson made such a hash of it in the movie. They took out the bridge! Blech!)

Further edit: Is it normal for someone to have "favorite battles?"

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a military man, but my WiP had battles. And you can't just say 'the battle sucked'. You have to have SOME detail. Mur Lafferty at ishouldbewriting.com discussed this in one of her podcasts. When you're in a fight, you only know what's happening to you. You only know who's hitting/stabbing/shooting at you. And that's all you really care about.

But you do need SOMETHING. So yeah, some battle scenes I've written have been 'borrowed', at least a little, from history. So what?

You could reenact the Battle of the Bulge, and most people won't realize you're doing it. And those that do will probably applaud your cleaverness.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
I am a military man and I can tell you from experience that it's difficult to write a battle scene, even with first hand experience. You can't fully appreciate strategy unless you've put it into practice. I don't consider it cheating to use historical battles. If it was me, I'd try to make sure it's not easily recognizable as historical. You don't want the history buffs reading your story to be put off by recognizing it. It needs to be subtle.

Rux

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaycloomis
Member # 7193

- posted      Profile for jaycloomis   Email jaycloomis         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheating? No I agree with everyone else that it isn't cheating. Every great idea is inspired by other ideas already thought of, or from something that already happened in history. (unless you're a real outside thinker, and can grab those few truely original ideas!)

However, I think creating strategy is much more entertaining than rewriting previous stratagies . I agree that if 'feels more real' to use strategies that WERE real. But with your own ideas, it makes it feel real if you consider all of the options and really know that it would work if this were the situation. You as the writer are omnitiant after all.

I try to think outside of the box, above and beyond and use all dimensions. If there's magic in your battle, then something like...

the Brons sent an agent into the Crons ranks, and he carried with him a special stone that when placed on the battlefield erupts into flames, or opens a portal from which the Brons can pour into the enemy's formation and reak havoc.

One thing that's nice about fantasy and the use of magic, is that you can think in three-dimensions -- that is you can consider aerial battle in a time setting you normally couldn't.

I'm sure the Scotts and Brits couldn't send people soaring through the skies on giant eagles to drop bombs on the enemy.

This would be considered strategy -- it's not just how troops move on the field, but the ingenious ideas behind it as well.
Just a couple thoughts.

-Jayson

[This message has been edited by jaycloomis (edited November 26, 2007).]

Posts: 62 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobertB
Member # 6722

- posted      Profile for RobertB   Email RobertB         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an MC who consciously bases his battle plan on Cannae (Hannibal's greatest victory). He's studied military history, fantasised about putting his knowledge into practice, and now he's doing it. Why not?
Posts: 185 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I see no reason why not. It's a hallowed practice. I recall H. Beam Piper basing a battle in Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen on the Battle of Barnet---which I didn't notice at the time (having never heard of it when I read the book), found out when some writeup pointed it out, and found it amusing. I've spotted a few real battles in fictional guise elsewhere.

It'll go over most readers's heads. But those who do get it will get a chuckle.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SaucyJim
Member # 7110

- posted      Profile for SaucyJim   Email SaucyJim         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the whole not cheating aspect and with the most people just won't get it aspect. Honestly I've been a major lover of military history for years, and I probably wouldn't get that you were directly referencing another battle with your own.

Besides, readers who realize this on their own will probably pat themselves on the back and think well of you. The ones who don't realize it... well, they'll think it's your own battle.

It's a win-win for everybody.

Posts: 59 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

quote:
I'm sure the Scotts and Brits couldn't send people soaring through the skies on giant eagles to drop bombs on the enemy.

Neither can the people in my battle. I keep the magic in my worlds at a very modest level. It can affect battles but is a long way from over-powering.

Thanks for the comments. I rather enjoy rewriting actual battles. Sure I have enough background in strategy that I can (and have) written my own. But there was that bridge there just ASKING for a nice battle. lol

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited November 27, 2007).]

RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Sure they could, think air force.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sure they could, think air force.

At the Battle of Stirling Bridge?

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
As a reader, I don't get excited by tactics. I want to know how the characters I care about feel, what they're going through, etc.

As a writer, I'm not a military person, but I've managed to write battle scenes in my HP fanfiction that has soldiers in Iraq asking me where I served, because I got it so "right" (and due to the gender-free pen name I use, they usually think I'm a man, not a woman). I understand some basic concepts of tactics and strategy, although I've never studied them, so I use air support (in my fanfics, people on brooms, in my novels, people on winged horses or people with wings of their own), pincers movements (although I don't call them that), ambushes, whatever I can think of that will add to the general chaos - but I view it all through a very limited POV, so the reader is seeing how one or a few characters, people they should really care about by this point in the story, are doing throughout the battle.

I don't care about tactics - I care about PEOPLE. So to me, no matter what the tactics, I want to see what the people I care about are doing, and how they're doing. I want to feel their pain, their fear, their joy at finding someone safe they'd feared for, to see them make themselves defer the pain due to the ongoing battle around them when they see a friend hurt or killed.

The most powerful image of war I've seen lately was a clip from a film called "My Boy Jack" that was on British TV on Nov. 11 (and will air on Masterpiece Theater on PBS on April 20, 2008 from 9-11 PM). It stars Daniel Radcliffe (yup, "Harry Potter" in another pair of glasses) as Jack Kipling, the only son of Rudyard Kipling, who was a "king and country" man and very much in favor of the war (WWI). Jack's vision was so poor, he failed the physical when he, like nearly every other young man at that time, tried to sign up for the military. Jack was as gung-ho to go to war as his dad was for him to do it, so Rudyard pulled strings to get Jack an officer's commission in the Irish Guards despite his thick glasses and the poor vision he had even with his glasses. Two weeks after he arrived at the front, Jack is shown (in this clip that's part of the DVD interviews with the cast - which is online somewhere - go to www.danradcliffe.com and look for it if you're interested) leading all these men who are older than him into battle. His own fear is plain, but he does what he's supposed to and leads them out of the trenches and onto the battlefield in an absolute downpour of rain. At some point, he's shown helping a man to his feet, and when he straightens up, Jack's shot in the shoulder - a wound that shouldn't have been fatal, IMO. His glasses fall off, and he's shown fumbling around in the mud searching frantically for them - and they're only inches away. What a heartbreaking scene! I suspect he was shot again, but that wasn't shown in the clip. Jack Kipling was one day past his 18th birthday, and that was his first battle - and his last. His body was never found. Focusing on that one young man, who looks much too young and small to be even carrying a gun, in this battle is much more gut-wrenching than seeing anything to do with "strategy." And that's what I'd rather read.

I've read a lot of military stories/novels and seen a lot of military films. It wasn't until I saw the interviews on the "My Boy Jack" DVD (available online, as I said) that I learned that 20,000 men A DAY died in that war. They also said the war ended because they ran out of bullets! I don't know how accurate that is, but because I cared about that character, I paid attention to those details and they were burned into my brain.

I don't think what you want to do (using real battle strategies in your story) is cheating, but if it were me, I wouldn't focus on the strategy. I want to write things that are as powerful as that brief scene in "My Boy Jack", so I focus on one or two characters most of the time, especially in battle scenes. I don't really want to read about overall strategies. I want to see how the characters I care about are coping. JMO.

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be pretty hard to steal an actual battle, especially one that happened more than 700 years ago. Also, I'm guessing that the majority of the tactics used in that battle weren't invented in that battle or used for the first time.

Even the Macedonian Phalanx, which was the most practiced and solid of its kind, was based on the older Spartan Phalanx, which may have been imported from Egypt as early as 2500 BCE.

Considering these situations, as well as the evolution of most military strategies, I can't imagine that you would even need to worry. And it sounds like you are providing an historical fantasy of the battle, so what difference does it make if the battle itself is as accurate as possible. The setting and other plot and milieu attributes won't make anybody think that you're doing more than paying homage to the past.

That's MHO, anyway.

T2

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.