Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Publications?

Author Topic: Publications?
jaycloomis
Member # 7193

- posted      Profile for jaycloomis   Email jaycloomis         Edit/Delete Post 
If one were interested in submitting short stories or the like to fiction magazines, where would one look?

I don't know of many fantasy magazines, but if you guys could give me a list of some good ones I might even subscribe!

-Jayson

Posts: 62 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a great database of pubs...good luck and have fun!

http://www.duotrope.com/

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
These are the Big 4 Pro mags:

Asimov's
The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction
Analog (hard SF only)
Realms of Fantasy (fantasy only)

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about that list. It seems a bit dated to me since it leaves off some of the newer biggies such as Strange Horizons and Baen's Universe.

Another good source in addition to duotrope is ralan.com.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited November 27, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
True. Strange Horizons and Baen's Universe are both pro markets. I'd been confining it to the magazines.

http://www.sfwa.org/org/qualify.htm#Q3 list these as pro:

Analog Science Fiction and Fact
Asimov's Science Fiction
Baen's Universe
Brutarian
Cemetery Dance
Chizine
Cosmos
Dark Wisdom
Dragon
The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction
Odyssey - Adventures in Science
Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show
Pedestal Magazine
Realms of Fantasy
Strange Horizons
Subterranean Magazine
Writers of the Future Anthology

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I haven't checked on all of them, but a lot of the prize winning or prize nominated short stories are coming from non-print media these days, so it seems like a good idea to include them. Thanks for posting the list, Chris.

I would expect to see some others such as Clarkesworld added to the SFWA listing in the not too distant future.

And relating to another thread it is well to notice that the WotF Anthology is on that list.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited November 27, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say its definitely worth using a search engine like duotrope.com or ralan.com for the simple fact that you can select a word count range, a pay range, and genre. It'll narrow it down to which mags will even take what you've written. After that, though, you still need to go to the magazine's website to verify their submission requirements. Duotrope or ralan might not always have everything up to date, and you don't want to violate submission guidelines, its one of the ways editors narrow down the stories they have to read.
Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Good advice and I second it. Both have links to the publication to make it easy for you to double check.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.