Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Music to write by (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Music to write by
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm just a bit of a music snob, EP Kaplan. I like to poke fun at people who listen to music that I think sucks, and I really don't like black metal. It strikes me as incredibly corny, as does Rammstein.

Of course, I'm an industrial musician myself, and there is definitely a level of corniness to industrial music. I guess it just comes down to which kind of corny you like. I enjoy the corniness of KMFDM and Ministry, but turn up my nose at the corniness of Mayhem and Rammstein.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varg_Vikernes

On a somewhat related note to video game music, Yoko Kanno, a composer of anime music, is an absolute genius. Love her music.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I take it, wetwilly, that you have never listend to Iced Earth, Demons & Wizards, or Blind Guardian. Iced Earth has a couple of fast-paced, dark natured songs, but Blind Guardian has more of a Metallica/Rush/Queen sound--an interesting mix. BG and D&W both have big-production sounds. Most of all three bands' music is themed. Blind Guardian has concept albums (like Pink Floyd's The Wall) that go from Nightfall in Middle Earth to the fall of Troy And Then There Was Silence. Demons & Wizards--which is John Schaffer (founder, guitarist, song writer of Iced Earth) and Hansi Kirsh (founder, singer, bassist, song writer of Blind Guardian)--Defies music labeling.

In short, if you are lumping these with Death Metal or Black Metal it would be like lumping Chicago together with Mötley Crüe.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
I helped "write" that article...

I have a friend who looks almost exactly like Dead. When the infamous "Suicide photo" was put on the cover of Dawn of the Black Hearts, we told everyone that "Sid blew his brains out, see!" I was never a huge Mayhem fan, for the record.

Of course Rammstein is a bit corny, never said they weren't... Then again, I never got into most industrial bands. An ex tried to get me into Wumpscut, but I wasn't going to have any of that.

Oh, and it's Hansi (Hans Jürgen) Kürsch. Umlaut u. My dream as a writer is to have him do a song about something I wrote. Though I'd settle for a BG song about EG. I already got his okay to use some of his lyrics in a story.

[This message has been edited by EP Kaplan (edited December 11, 2007).]

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.