Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Is there anything wrong with this?

Author Topic: Is there anything wrong with this?
jaycloomis
Member # 7193

- posted      Profile for jaycloomis   Email jaycloomis         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a first person narrative story I'm working on, and I was in the middle of writing this line when I stopped, wondering if it sounded right. I'm sure if I didn't think about it would seem okay, but now it's got me bugged.

"...it was easy to get sick of life here."

Would this be correct the way it is, or "...it was easy to get sick of life there."

He is talking about the place he was at, and it's in the past tense. But 'there' doesn't seem as... I don't know, personal?

-Jay

[This message has been edited by jaycloomis (edited November 28, 2007).]

Posts: 62 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if he's talking about some place that's not the here and now, it should be "there".

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KStar
Member # 4968

- posted      Profile for KStar           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been running into the same question. Thanks!
Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be made even more clear if you added a bit to it to make it a bit less ambiguous:

"...It was easy to get sick of the life he led there..."

I'm pretty sure you're trying to convey discontent, not thoughts of suicide

It may be a bit more chunky than you want though. Just my thoughts...

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spcpthook
Member # 3246

- posted      Profile for spcpthook   Email spcpthook         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want it more personal have him actually name the there because this should be there. It was easy to get sick of life on (Terra--insert actual name here)
Posts: 71 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Annepin is absolutely correct.

"Here" refers to the here and now, where he literally is at the place of the narrative. It might sound more "personal" because it is his thoughts. But "there" is just as personal for the same reason, it's his thoughts. What makes it personal is that he is thinking about it, not the narrator.

But if you say "here" and mean anywhere else or any other point in time other than the present, then it's both wrong and confusing.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.