Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » POD--Do it your bedroom!

Author Topic: POD--Do it your bedroom!
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel more certain that one day I will be in print, after seeing this.

http://www.easybookbinding.com/

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes. I am now contaminated by having looked at a self-pub site.

Self-publishing does not count as real publishing, and PoD and self-publishing are not the same thing. PoD is a technology. Self-publishing long pre-dates that technology and can be done by PoD or traditional printing.

Edit: If someone really did want to go the self-pub route, I've read that lulu.com is the best choice. But my knowledge of that process is pretty limited.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited November 30, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greenscreen
Member # 6896

- posted      Profile for Greenscreen   Email Greenscreen         Edit/Delete Post 
How does one self publish?
Posts: 61 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JBaird
Member # 7280

- posted      Profile for JBaird   Email JBaird         Edit/Delete Post 
I can think of at least two instances where self publishing is a valid way to break into writing.

One is the comic book industry. Most new writers and artists start with a low print run self published book that they can shop around to people in the industry at conventions.

The second is the roleplaying industry where there is similar shopping around at conventions.

Otherwise I would steer clear of self publishing myself.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
How you self-publish - there are companies who you pay to print the book for you. Marketing the book is your problem.

People who do seminars sometimes self-publish to sell their books "at the back of the room." This is a valid use for it. Poets self-publish out of necessity since getting poetry published in book form is almost impossible these days. People self-publish books that are of interest in a very limited area such as family or church histories. Writers who consider themselves hobbyists sometimes self-publish just for the satisfaction of seeing their work in print.

Otherwise, I honestly can't see any reason for doing it.

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no desire to self publish--I just liked the idea of someone making books in their bedroom.

I can understand it with regard graphic novels--I studied at the London Cartoon School in my youth, and many comic shops will stock stuff that is well presented, self published or not.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey if you could combine this concept with the book vending machines, download the books from the internet and print them in your room, that would be cool. But if that sophomore marketing spiel is any indication of the text of his book I'd have to throw it through my computer monitor.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I would be surprised if they didn't already have book vending machines in Japan. Hell, they probably have giant vending machines that distribute vending machines there.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.