Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » How to avoid writing "just another fantasy"?

Author Topic: How to avoid writing "just another fantasy"?
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm looking for a combination of advice and encouragement here... I've been feeling a bit downtrodden since folks critting my WIP say there's nothing about it that really makes it stand out from other fantasies. I see their point--there are a lot of elements that are similar to "every other fantasy", but there is a good story there that I believe in, one that hasn't yet been told.

So, how do you make a fantasy stand out? Some authors seem to strive for new and different settings, creatures, circumstances, like in urban fantasy. Others meld different traditions or ideas. I like a good old fashioned fantasy (_not_ necessarily Tolkienesque), but I don't want to write something that feels, well, familiar.

Is it the characters? The setting? The circumstance? What books have you read that make you say, "Meh, feels too much like Jordan's Wheel of Time," and what makes you keep reading? I realize this is a broad, undefined question. Interpret it as you will.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that part of what you're seeing may be hazard of having people read only a chapter at a time (or I'm guessing that may be happening). When a work is critted like that people will see the "parts" but not the "sum of the parts" which is the over-all story which may be very different and original.

If you feel that your story is an original take on a fantasy, I'm willing to bet it is. Will a hug help? Don't give up on "traditional" fantasies because some people prefer urban or whatever. They are still highly popular with READERS and publishers. That's why they sell.

As for what makes a fantasy different, it's the same as what makes a work in any genre different. It's an individual vision that the author brings to it. If we worry about not having the fantasy elements, then it turns into a "not fantasy" the same as a romance would if people said: But books have already had a romance! *rolls eyes*

Hang in there. I have confidence in you.

Edit: As for what makes a story different, I know I didn't really answer it and gave you a pep talk instead.

It's hard to say and don't count on it EVER working. I found something I thought would be a quite original way of going at my NiP. Guess what! This year I've read three books with a similar element. I'll have to count on the story and the characters. LOL

By the way, where are you getting your work critted and are they critting it as a whole or in parts? I'd advise not getting it critted until it's completed as a first draft at least. (Not that you asked. lol) Are they fantasy writers? Do they write and (as important) read epic fantasy? I learned the hard way that it does make a difference.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 03, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

quote:
Will a hug help?

*sniff* *sniff* Yes, it does! Thanks JeanneT... I appreciate your support and your vote of confidence.

Indeed I'm working on the second draft, so I'm pretty confident of what the story is, maybe not yet how to tell it. I'm getting it critted at chapter at a time, by folks who read (and write) fantasy.

I'm beginning to see the sense in what you're saying--to have people read through it all the way. On the other hand, if folks don't want to read through the first few chapters, what's the point?

Anyway, thanks for the pep talk!

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

If you don't mind, I'll email you. Really, if you think the story is good then I believe it is. Now if the first few chapters are a problem, you could be starting at the wrong place or need to work on those to strengthen them. That doesn't mean the whole story won't work.

*hug*

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly the two main things that make people call a story "just another fantasy" are characters that could be interchanged with fifty jillion other fantasy characters and ideas that don't follow OSC's advice to toss out the first or second idea you get and wait until the third or fourth or fifth.

He advises this because most people will be likely to come up with the first or second idea (because those ideas are rather obvious to everyone). It's when you really apply your creativity to dig deeper and find the third or fourth or fifth idea that you get interesting stuff.

When OSC does his "1000 Ideas in an Hour" sessions, he usually spends part of the time on character and part of it on ideas (and the kind of idea he usually focusses on is the price of magic -- what it costs someone to be able to do magic).

In those sessions, he asks people to call out suggestions, and he tells people that all suggestions are free, that anyone who wants to can write something up from any of the suggestions. He also shoots down ideas he thinks fit in the "first or second idea" category, and he gets quite excited about the ones that dig deeper.

He also tells people to ask themselves, as they are developing ideas, two main questions: "what does the character try next?" and "what can go wrong?"

You can go through your story and ask yourself if the things you are doing in it seem like "first or second ideas" and if they do, can you dig deeper? You may not want to change what you actually have in the story, but you can dig deeper into the motivations of the characters to come up with things that will seem fresh and different and not "just another fantasy."

For my part, if I can't care about the characters, the plot had better be phenomenal, or I won't keep reading. So I'd encourage you to make sure your characters are well-developed, believable, and have interesting motivations.

I know from what you've posted here on Hatrack that you are a good writer, annepin, so I know you can do it. Remember, "just another fantasy" can also depend on who your reader is. If you care about your story, there are readers out there who will, too.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dienstag
Member # 5696

- posted      Profile for dienstag   Email dienstag         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're daring, throw a bit of sci-fi in there. Or some technology. It's nice when magic isn't always the answer for something.

Also, like it was said before, make sure the characters are unique. Take Star Wars for instance: not the best plot, not the best dialogue, but you just cannot forget the characters in it. Everyone had their motives and backgrounds, and they were so real. I always ask myself what would my characters do in the same situation? If wizards from an ancient time attacked what would Luke do? Would would Yoda do? What would Vader do?

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mfreivald
Member # 3413

- posted      Profile for mfreivald   Email mfreivald         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me dump my bucket 'o encouragement here, too.

In fantasy you need everything you have in other genres: Character development, substantive themes, conflict, and some whopper of a problem to solve. I think the best fantasy carries with it a good dose of nobility and some kind of moral orientation to it.

As long as you write a good story, I really don't care if it has a lot of typical fantasy stuff in it any more than I care if a crime novel has a lot of typical crime stuff in it.

The Lord of the Rings has deep themes of temptation, duty, loyalty, and sacrifice. Frodo, Sam, and Faramir carry a nobility that is extremely rare in fiction. (Both were botched big-time in the movies--so I'm not referring to those adulterations of them.)

These things transcend the genre, and the most important things in fantasy should transcend the genre.

I think the "cost of magic" thing is worth considering, but I also think it is over-emphasized. After all, did it ever cost Gandalf to use his power? (Other than the normal way human beings get tired.) The approach seems a bit too materialistic in nature to me, and fantasy doesn't have to be materialistic. (Although that seems to be the trend.) To be sure--magic shouldn't be incoherent. Arbitrary and random magic turns into uninteresting gobble-dee-gook very quickly.

It doesn't surprise me that OSC supports that way of thinking because he has a very materialistic way of describing magic in his works. It's basically a fantastic "science" to him. (Assuming I understood Kathleen correctly.)

All that being said, I've tried my hands at a number of genres now, and fantasy is, by far, the most difficult one for me. If you are writing <i>readable</i> stories in the genre, you are well ahead of me.

If you would like me to give your story a read, I'd be happy to give you my thoughts on it. Either way--keep at it!

Cheers,
Mark

Posts: 394 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

<dries tears>
Thanks so much for the encouragement... man, these doubts are pesky! I'm reminded of how solitary a craft writing, or any art, is. Ultimately, you have to write what you feel and sell others on it. But the judgment is all yours, and I suppose a lot of writing is just learning to develop, and listen to, your own judgment, plugging forward when you know (hope/ pray) something feels right.

halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a personal nit with the Fantasy genre.

There is a huge difference between Salvador Dali's The Temptation of Saint Anthony (brief nudity, but it's art!) and this random Forgotten Realms dragon picture (edit: fixed bad link)

For horror it is the same thing when you compare Francis Bacon's Tryptich to that silly Chucky doll monster thing. I would rather take on a thousand Chucky dolls then have to deal with that eyeless, bloody thing on that coffee table.

I think writers can get lost in trying to make it 'fantasy' and forgetting about the base - it needs to just be a good story. The same way that artists loose the meaning of what they are creating by, well, over-creating it.

A good story shouldn't reference 25 locations in the first paragraph (And he looked over the Ocean of Chian'ta where in the distance he could see the castle of Morginia and the bay of Kilingao where a thousand years ago the great elvish battle of Ikibat happened).

A good piece of art doesn't need a black dragon blowing smoke at some perfectly shaped warrior-princess with a flaming sword, jade beaded necklace, and chain-mail-teddy. There is nothing left to really think or imagine.

But this is just me, and as usual, I can really only relate to what my own faults are. I love abstract, I love writing something that is so abstract it's abstracty. I love anti-descriptions and strange sentence structures... but when I'm done I usually get something like this when I really wanted this.

[This message has been edited by halogen (edited December 04, 2007).]

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

She asked for encouragement and suggestions, not for someone to dump on her because they don't like the genre. If you don't like epic fantasy, I can suggest an easy solution. Don't read it. Some of us do.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 03, 2007).]

halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
wha...? I wasn't dumping on epic fantasy, at least I wasn't trying too

I was simply outlining what I consider fantasy that doesn't seperate itself from the pool. That's what her question was... or at least one of her questions.

[This message has been edited by halogen (edited December 03, 2007).]

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Being one of the foul people who ripped on it, I can say the writing wasn't the problem. I've read a large collection of good fantasy, even the branded dnd books can be good sometimes. What makes good fantasy? Same thing that makes good scifi, or just good fiction, a good story. I agree with Kathleen, keep looking for the ideas that are not common, or happen all the time. Go to a book store and pick up random fantasy books and read the first couple pages. If you look through enough you will see that there are so many ways to get interest and draw the reader in that you can be very original without having to make drastic changes to your story.

Sometimes our first ideas don't work. Happens to me fairly regularly. So you think about it, then try again...if that don't work...try it another time. What difference does it make if it takes four or five tries to get it right? Don't fear rewriting, or revisions. They are just part of what writers have to do. Well, most of us that is.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeanne, I don't think halogen was dumping on annepin. I also don't think halogen's post was an expression of dislike for fantasy.

My impression was that halogen was expressing a desire for more of the really great fantasy, not dissing all fantasy as bad.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited December 03, 2007).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I like your voice, tone and attitude, Anne, and that alone can draw me into your stories.

Are your readers being fair to your story? Do you trust them?

Assuming there's something in what they say, then ...

"but there is a good story there that I believe in, one that hasn't yet been told."

So it's not "just another fantasy," there's something unique about it. Can you focus the story on that somehow, and cut away the peripheral stuff?

Would it help to write down, in a sentence or two, what the good story is? Perhaps that way you could focus your mind--and more importantly your passion--on that while you're rewriting. Perhaps give the core aspects more depth, colour, vibrancy--more of the passion you feel for the story--so that they stand out from the world around them?

Good luck,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
Halogen, as a professional artist, I LOVED the comparisons you drew! They made TOTAL sense to me! And I didn't think you were dissing fantasy at all. (And the artworks you referenced clearly expressed what you were trying to say, IMO. Well done!)

Annepin, as a fantasy writer, my own great "quest" is to write characters, especially my heroes, who I care desperately about, so my readers will care desperately about them too. The story has to be good, but the characters, IMO, have to be GREAT for me to be drawn into a fantasy. (And they have to be flawed somehow, not perfect - perfect people are boring.)

Lots of fantasies are "ho-hum" to me and I don't read past the first page. Urban fantasies, for instance, leave me cold, farm girl that I am (JMO - I can't relate to urban stuff much, having always lived on farms). So it could be just your critters' genre preferences showing.

Most often, fantasies (any book, really) I start and then put down without reading further have something that bothers me about the characters. Their names, for instance, may be too "foreign" (with so many apostrophes and vowels that I can't make sense of them) and then I'm turned off (which is why my sf reading has dropped off in recent years - so many people seem to think that kind of name is necessary for their characters).

I liked the Star Wars comparison someone made here, and it backs up my character name complaint - Leia, Luke, Han Solo, Yoda, Jabba - all are "easy to pronounce and remember" names. So's Chewbacca (sounds like "chews tobacco" and his fur was the right color for it, which makes it a good memory-nudge for his name - most "odd" names in sf/f stories don't have any such reminders, so it's easy to lose track of who's who). If a book has a big cast of characters and they don't have individual names and voices that are easily discernable to me, my reading is slowed and I'll just put the book down (the way my life is, the only reads I can manage these days are "fast reads" - the only "slow reads" I'll stick with are "how-to" books I need to read for my business or other interests.)

You have to have great characters, an intriguing story, and you have to begin the story at the right place. For months, my novel, "Star Sons: Dawn of the Two," began with my boys being teenagers, with mentions of how they got into the circumstances they're in interwoven throughout the story, as needed for clarity. The novel was complete and I was revising it, trying to make it "sing," when someone said it might be better with a different beginning. So I added two chapters to the beginning. I've just posted the first chapter as a sample on a couple of sites and it's already getting great reviews and people begging to pre-order the book! Yay! Changing where my novel began gave it a different flavor, although I didn't change anything in the rest of it (other than to remove some of those references to their past, since I showed the past in the new first two chapters). It also made the reader more empathetic to my main characters, I believe, which is important to me.

So evaluate the names you're using - are they pronounceable? Will the reader have to stop and sound them out to make sense of them? If so, you've slowed the reader's eye, and you'll lose a lot of readers if you do that very often. Evaluate your characters - will the reader cry if they get hurt, I mean seriously have tears fall from their eyes, rather than just going, "Gee, too bad"? If so, they care enough to keep reading to find out what happens to those characters! Do each of your main characters have voices different enough, personalities different enough, for the reader to keep track of who's who? These are the things that make me a fan of a particular author. If they succeed in these things, whatever the genre, I'll probably read every book of theirs I can find.

There are only so many plots in the world. I read somewhere there were only 12 basic plots and Shakespeare did all of them (I can't quote you where I read it, sorry - that was ages--as in literally "decades"--ago). So your plot may be similar to many, many others in the world (if it's a "hero quest" story, for instance, that style of story has been told for literally thousands of years). What your reader wants to know is, how are you gonna put a new spin on that plot?

I have only read your posts on here, not your fiction, Annepin, but from the posts I've read, you know how to WRITE (your posts are well expressed and often eloquent, IMO). It's writing characters that people ache for when they hurt, rejoice with when they succeed that's the biggest trick, IMO. That's the kind of book I want to read, and I believe a lot of other folks feel that way.

I've been as frustrated as you are right now, and thought I'd never get it right. But usually, after hitting rock bottom ("I can't write! Whatever gave me the idea I could?!?"), a writer who's going to succeed (IMO) will bounce back and find a new way to look at the problem, which leads to the solution she's seeking (if she works at it hard enough!)

I'm a writer AND an artist - both very solitary professions. I ache to get feedback on what I'm doing, and whatever I'm doing has my heart wrapped up in it. Getting negative feedback can be soul-destroying - at least for a while (it helps to develop a thick skin, but some comments can cut right through even the thickest skin). What really helped me was to say, "You know what? I like what I'm doing. I don't like these negative people" (a good critique includes encouragement as well as criticism, but not everyone "gets" that). You have to understand that their comments are only their opinion, and you DO have a right to disagree with them. But they should encourage you as well as pointing out the flaws in your writing. If the critique group you're in isn't giving you positive comments as well as negative, find another group before you become too discouraged.

Good luck with your story!

Lynda

[This message has been edited by Lynda (edited December 04, 2007).]

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not being able to operate on Tolkien's level in the "quest" fantasy has stopped me from trying out that. I've tried several others out. My first completed novel was a fantasy (but owed more to Mervyn Peake than Tolkien, I think at this late remove). I've tried my hand at this and that in fantasy, but with few as satisfying to me as my stabs at science fiction.

Of course my science fiction resembles fantasy in that you can take out some of the science fiction tropes (say, replace "nanotechnology" with "magic" in my latest novel) and it'd still work. (I may just do that. I've had trouble rationalizing the background of some characters, and the story does involve mysterious powers and raising someone from the dead.)

I've got a few other tries at straight fantasy, trying to come up with something new (or newer---it's hard to come up with something totally original). Some are fairly well developed and I might go back to them someday.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I happen to like epic fantasy. Like ANY genre you are supposed to tell a good story. I hardly think that needed to be said. However, if you throw the constraints of the genre out, you've also thrown out the genre--like writing a romance but love interests are SO DONE in romances be sure not to put one in.

I think we disagree rather radically on what "really great fantasy" is. Trying to write the way Dali painted isn't really great fantasy in my opinion. Neither is "something that is so abstract it's abstracty." There now that's my opinion.

I'll take the fire breathing dragon, actually, AND the warrior princess which there are far too few of. Again my opinion.

In fact, you just gave me my basis for my next novel. I've never used either, but I will this time. Ha! They fit right in with an idea that's been rattling around. And there will be nothing even slightly resembling Dali.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 04, 2007).]

SaucyJim
Member # 7110

- posted      Profile for SaucyJim   Email SaucyJim         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, what usually relegates a fantasy to "every other fantasy" in my mind is the idea and summary execution of magic. I have nothing against magic to begin with; I think it has the potential of being a really great story element. My problem is with how people use magic in stories.

A wizard can conjure up the metaphysical forces on a whim. The rogue can use a spell to cast an invisibility field around him. A combat sorceror makes the most impressive fireball ever and sends it hurtling at his foes. These are all impressive uses of magic, but at the same time incredibly boring. So magic is an end-all device. That just subtracts from the story. If you use magic, I'd recommend making it more subtle and costly. Not everyone can know it, and certainly young people (such as below thirty) can't master it.

The best example for what I'm talking about can be found, I think, in George Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. Magic there is mostly regarded as fiction, but as the books carry on it slowly becomes more and more "real," seeming to regenerate because of various devices in the story itself.

You could take it the opposite way. Throughout the story you could say that magic is on the decline. Treat it like a rising wave; for some eras it's a strong and potent force, able to be touched upon by many souls. At the same time, however, there are down times when magic is all but completely nonexistent.

That said, for everything else (use of elves, dwarves, massive kingdoms, epic heroes, etc.) I've found it depends completely on the writing. So if you're even just a half-decent writers (and from what I can gather, you're more than just that) you should be able to put together something that is certainly not just another fantasy.

Posts: 59 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to own and run a game shop. AD&D, Warhammer, Hahn, HOL, Vampire the Masquerade... all of them... AND a range of table-top wargame and computer games. We had themed gaming rooms for RPG, terrain rooms and tables for wargames, networked computers for LAN games. It was in an area with a lot of uni students AND unemployed young people. It opened at 10am and closed at about 1 or 2am. We sold amazing amounts of caffeinated soft drinks. We ran Worldbuilding, scenario building and mapping workshops. We also ran training workshops for new referees/dungeon masters

We had HUNDREDS of customers and I reckon most of them, at some point, told us their novel ideas (usually based on their game and group of gamer friends) and their scenario ideas over the years.

They were customers... we HAD to listen.
It was exhausting.

What was most tiresome was shallow, cookie cutter characters running a default course through an obvious plot.

What was exciting/envigorating was new ideas, a different take on something we THOUGHT we knew inside out.

As Kathleen said, don't pick the first, second and maybe not even the third idea. Like a good carpenter, measure twice (or three times) and cut once. MHO

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited December 04, 2007).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'll add a bit, (I'm in a similar situation in my medievalesque WIP.) perhaps you could find an unusual mythology to mine. Many of the "just another fantasy" elements come from Norse and Celtic (and the other ones that Tolkein used).
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanderbleek
Member # 6535

- posted      Profile for Vanderbleek   Email Vanderbleek         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things I found refreshing about the young Merlin books (By T.A. Baron) were the new characters and creatures. Sure Merlin was there, but the amount of cool (and some absurd) creatures made it a new read...

If you don't want to make it sound like Tolkien, leave Orcs and Elves out of it...

Posts: 50 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

It seems a shame to never be able to write about elves, but I have to say they just don't seem to work. Even in Carey's The Sundering which needed the elves since it was a reversal of the Tolkien tropes and is one of my favorite recent work, she had a hard time making them interesting. The only interesting one was Ushahin. I loved what she did with the orcs though. Talk about a revesal! It was brilliant in my opinion.

And I feel bad that I think I was overly rough on halogen. I apologize for that. We have totally different taste in fantasy. If someone doesn't like epic fantasy, that's own taste. Of course, as I've mentioned a couple of times, I do so I felt a bit defensive.

What seems to me to matter the most is telling a good story. And I am absolutely confident that Annepin can do that. So... that's all I have to say on THAT subject.

annepin
Member # 5952

My internet's been down, but it's wonderful to return to these comments.

quote:
Being one of the foul people who ripped on it, I can say the writing wasn't the problem.

Lord Darkstorm, I didn't mean to give the impression I was upset with my critiquers (though I assume there's a touch of humor to your comment)! Quite the contrary--you guys have been wonderful and have given me a lot to think about.

JeanneT, I'm glad to hear that you enjoy that sort of story, and you're right, a good story is key, whatever the plot/ milieu/ characters. Which means, of course, there are no easy answers! And, that one thing can't please everyone.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
If I loose my sense of humor then I don't know if I could stand myself...

On occasion I have let the claws come out and the results aren't pretty. It is a bit unfair that you are competing (in a small way) with many other fantasy stories that I've read over the years. The Elric series which features a race of evil beings of whom the main character is one...but he has compassion...and an evil sword that drinks peoples souls. Or the Kingdoms series by Angus Wells, the Deathgate Cycle by Weis and Hickman, The Crystal Gryphon series by Andre Norton, the Black Company by Gen Cook....and on and on and on. I've read as much or more fantasy as I have scifi. I read a book about elves that I forget the title and author, but remember that the elf women had to cross from elf lands to human lands to mate with a human to have an elf child, the children she has with her husband never turn out to be an elf. So, yes, there can be new elf stories that aren't like all the rest.

How do you compete with all that? Well, it can't sound like the majority of the fantasy out there. You want ideas, ask...I bet you could have the entire story twisted so many ways you wont recognize it anymore...nor would anyone else. That would make it something than just another fantasy. I want you to have a good story, since I'll be one of the ones reading it.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

But then it wouldn't be her story though would it. It would be a conglomeration of other people's ideas. Just another way of looking at it.
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

And why wouldn't it be? So, if we use an idea that isn't something we came up with ourselves then it is no longer our story? I distinctly remember asking for help on ideas for my nano novel prior to writing it...and guess what? I got quite a few, some altered the story a good bit. It is still my story, even if some of the ideas were sparked by someone else.

I'm not going to argue purism or high idealistic concepts. Reality is that we take what we can from wherever we get it and use it to write our stories. Unless someone else is writing my story...It's my story, just like any story annepin writes will remain annepin's story. If we have to come up with every idea all on our own then this site and others like them are responsible for making many stories not those writers stories?

Sorry, I don't buy it.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

That's ok. You don't have to. No, I don't want to write a story that is made up of someone else's ideas. As I said, it's another way of looking at it. I obviously look at it differently than you do.

Some things, you know, aren't a matter of right or wrong but of what works for me doesn't work for you.

Reality is that not everyone works that way. I never have and never will post asking for ideas. They simply wouldn't work for me. They wouldn't be mine.

Is there any rule that we have to look at it the same way?

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 05, 2007).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.