Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What was there before Harry Potter?

Author Topic: What was there before Harry Potter?
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I start, I say, no flame wars.

It seems that today anyone that wants to talk about wizards references Harry Potter. Even if you haven't read it or don't like it, it seems that HP is a standard. Anytime you write something about wizards in training, or especially wizard schools, someone's going to compare you to HP. I know Rowling didn't do anything innovative in creating her world, but she seems to be the standard.

It led me to think, what was there before HP? Was it just JRR Tolkien, or were there others where everyone said this is what you have to measure up to. And, was there anything where if you referenced someone to it, they'd understand. A lot of my comparisons come from HP because I know people are familiar with it.

Just curious what people think.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Ursula K. LeGuin A Wizard of Earthsea, as far as "wizards in training".
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
The gut that wrote 'Magician'--Raymond E. Feist. I loved those books. Although I read them before I started writing, when I was far less critical--so I don't really know how they measure up.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think my favorite Young Adult magical book series is The Chronicles of Prydain, by Lloyd Alexander. Although the magic plays a smaller part than in Harry Potter, there is definitely magic or mysticism at the heart of the stories.

I also think that The Dark is Rising sequence had a good deal of magic in it, as well as The Wrinkle in Time series. They just seem to have faded away since Harry Potter made it big.

Of course, we can't forget the Chronicles of Narnia, although in some cases, Lewis actually seems to separate magic into two realms. There is the ritual magic that is shown in the Magician's Nephew and alluded to in Prince Caspian. Both of these examples show that Lewis didn't think much of the incantational magic. However, there is the "spiritually creative" magic that is invested in Aslan and the Emperor Over the Sea that seems to be some higher form of magic.

Those are my major recollections of magic in my formative reading years...

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as massive success goes, you go back to Tolkien, who established heroic epic fantasy as a commercial category.

As for wizards in general, you wind past Tolkien through E. R. Eddison and Lord Dunsany and William Morris and then take a deep dive back to Merlin and his role in the life of King Arthur. There are any number of sidebar splits (note the "evil scientist" in SF from Frankenstein on down), but that's more or less the main line. Unless I missed a connection somewhere, or misremembered details.

On wizard's schools, well, Rowling's schools resemble the English public-school stories, just with fantastic elements added. Hogwart's is just a supernatural version of Eton or Harrow or any of a few others.

(Of course, strictly speaking, Gandalf in Tolkien's work wasn't so much a wizard with skills that could be taught but an angel who could work miracles.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, in terms of standards, I'd have to say Tolkien is it for pre-HP.

As for wizarding schools, i don't know that there was any book that was famous for it. i seem to remember a British book called Bed-Knob and Broomstick by Mary Norton, but the details are too fuzzy. I think it had to do with a school, but i doubt that book was well known enough to be called a standard.

Edit: I'll add that even Tolkien wasn't that well known outside of the Fantasy genre, at least until after the movies. Many may have heard of him, but not as many were familiar with the story. Not, certainly, like HP, where people who'd never read a lick of fantasy read all the HP books (and some who insist they don't belong in the fantasy genre--go figure).

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited December 11, 2007).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe one reason HP worked so well was there was nothing quite like it before.

Before HP there were stories of kids at boarding schools, of kids solving whodunnits despite the grownups, and of kids and witches and wizards. But HP brought all three genres together, made it fun and didn't bother with YA political correctness.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanderbleek
Member # 6535

- posted      Profile for Vanderbleek   Email Vanderbleek         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading a book, the main character of which was "Thornmallow." It was very similar to HP (talking pictures, wizard school) and it was published before HP.

Must not of been that big, otherwise I would remember more about it.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
What about The Golden Compass? HP was released in 1997 according to wikipedia. I'm sure there are a pile of Forgotten Realms books that cover wizard school.
Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading one about Sherlock Holmes in school it was a mystery much like the earlier HP's.

As to fantasy, there were tons beside Tolkein (although Tolkein was, and is, the end all beat all) I think back to Junior High, everyone was reading the Dragonlance books. You still won't find a more fleshed out world than Krynn, (considering there is around a hundred novels about it). Then there was Robert Jordan, they were calling the Wheel of Time the next LOTR. Of course there was A Wrinkle In Time, that was a quite important book for me. Lloyd Alexander's Pyrdain. (I know these have been mentioned but I want to add my votes for them.) Narnia.

Among the more obscure, there was one called the Gammage Cup that was fantastic.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with inart. I always thought that HP was a total rip off of Ursula K. LeGuin's, A Wizard of Earthsea which was written i think in 69 or 70.
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought Le Guin's wizard school resembled Rowling's, other than both books had a school that would-be wizards attended. Le Guin sets "Earthsea" in a strange land where strange customs abound...Rowling sets "Harry Potter" in a familiar and existing England but only takes a step sideways into magic.

A Google search came up with, among others, a reference to a wizard's school in one of L. Frank Baum's "Oz" books---I read the book but do not recall the reference or how far the idea went.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! No one's mentioned Diana Wynne Jones, aYA writer. She had several fantasies set in wizard schools or involving young wizards and boarding schools. Like WITCH WEEK, THE LIVES OF CHRISTOPHER CHANT, and so on. Good novels. My kids loved them.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe WoT was making the best seller lists well before HP came on the scene. So were the Runelord novels as well although on a lesser scale. Feist and Modesitt didn't have quite the huge sales but certainly did quite well.

There was plenty before HP and personally I never think of them unless someone brings them up. They are hardly the "standard" for fantasy in my mind.

Edit: I had to agree that Rowling's wizard school seemed very similar to Le Guin's in concept but maybe any wizard school would. Le Guin invented the idea as far as I know (maybe not but I can't think of anyone who did it before she did).

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 12, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Has no one mentioned "The Wizard of Oz" by Frank L. Baum? The books were great, and much darker than the movie starring Judy Garland. If you've never read the books, you are doing yourself a disservice. These stories were my first encounter with a fictional wizard, and predated my exposure to Tolkien by about 5-7 years.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I guess I'm not the only one who doesn't read these posts that closely...
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
There is mention of a wizard school in Bram Stoker's Dracula, and that refers to an even older legend. Of course this one was run by the devil and only 10 student's could be there at a time, and the tuition was one of the students' lives.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

So much for school vouchers...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.