Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What do you write with?

Author Topic: What do you write with?
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Just interested to know what you write with. Obviously we all use computers most of the time, but do you use other stuff? Blackberry, iphone, ipod touch, pda, pencil and notebook?

I am thinking of getting an Ipod touch as an MP3 player, but apparently you can download a hack to give it a basic word processor, which I thought would be great for taking notes--or doing short bits of writing.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to go "old-school," with a pen and paper, and I still do that sometimes with outlining/brainstorming/plotting. But I write best at the computer, so that's what I stick with...
Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

- posted      Profile for KPKilburn   Email KPKilburn         Edit/Delete Post 
When I'm not using the computer, I use a 21 year-old Staedtler Marsmatic 00 (.30mm) technical pen...

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/001/group_id/7549/Staedtler-Marsmatic-4-Pen-Set.htm

...and a Miquelrius pad...

http://www.shopmiquelrius.com/servlet/the-242/Miquelrius/Detail

I've had the pen since I started college in '86 and I bought a bunch of the notepads when I was in Spain a few years back. They last forever and are convenient to carry around. I use them to take notes for work also. I also have a bunch of leather-bound blank books from Italy, but they're so nice, I haven't written in any of them yet. I love European writing instruments and paper.

Posts: 172 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
20" iMac G5. Microsoft Word. Diet Pepsi.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
Pilot extra fine pens, various colors. Stenopads. Mountain Dew.

I do a little writing on the computer, but I find typing to be constricting - it's too neat and orderly. I prefer to write messily, with lots of scratch-outs and arrows pointing here and there and little notes to myself scattered here and there throughout. I've learned the hard way that if I'm not writing on paper, I'm not writing at all.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
A Windows XP desktop and a Windows XP laptop, diet A&W root beer and lots of good music!

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Mac PowerBook G4, and Windows XP desktop, on occasion. Pen and anything available in my bag or pockets, from paper napkins to receipts. I try to carry a notebook around everywhere, and have several piled up around my bed, but invariably I'm caught without something to write with.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Windows XP desktop and Word mostly. Sometimes Dell Windows laptop when I want to go to a coffeshop to write.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LCastle
Member # 7363

- posted      Profile for LCastle   Email LCastle         Edit/Delete Post 
Honking big Alienware (XP) laptop at home. Ten-year-old Dell laptop (Win98) lives at work for when I can pop out at lunch. MS Word (still getting used to Word 2005, or 07, or whateverthehell the latest bizarre release is). The big fun comes with transferring files.

quote:
When I'm not using the computer, I use a 21 year-old Staedtler Marsmatic 00 (.30mm) technical pen...

We should start a club... I have a 21 year-old Staedtler Mars Micro mechanical pencil.

-Lisa

Posts: 100 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Pocket briefcase, takes 3x5 cards. I take it everywhere and write notes with a fountain pen, usually a Parker--nice change from all the high tech.

http://www.levenger.com/pagetemplates/navigation/preview.asp?params=category=11-76%7Clevel=2-3

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KStar
Member # 4968

- posted      Profile for KStar           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in love with my laptop. I use Microsoft Word, and a space heater for me feets and about three cans of Coke Zero per hour.
Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
PC, preferably QuarkXpress but I recently made the inevitable switch to Word (which I hate, but I got tired of having to convert files whenever I wanted somebody else--like a potential publisher--to be able to open them.) I write with a paper and pen when inspiration strikes and I am nowhere near a computer, but only then.

Mountain Dew Code Red, and way too much of it.

4,129 songs on random (currently "Missing" by Beck).

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

I find too much caffeine disrupts my process--I end up pacing around in circles. I usually stick to two cups of tea. On the weekends I'll have a Guinness.

On the other hand, I'm constantly nibbling on things. I need to keep up a steady supply of food, especially in the mornings.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Computer.

MSWord.

Courier New + 1.25 inch margins + 1.5 spacing = 300 words/page.

Black Coffee

Silence.

A kitchen timer set for 60 minutes.

A plain calendar, on which I mark the days I write with a capital-W.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited December 12, 2007).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MasterTrek
Member # 7272

- posted      Profile for MasterTrek   Email MasterTrek         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the time I use my laptop and Word 2000. Lots of music. Candy to get my brain flowin' for them high action scenes. And I have an idea pad that I carry with me for those little bursts of inspiration. But I would love to have an old Typewriter to write with too.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
MSWord on 2 (Windows XP) PCs and a HP (Vista) Laptop. I'm fond of both Pen and Pencil on paper (I've made my living with mostly those tools). I used to bang stuff out on a word processor, before that a typewriter (I've had three different kinds, including the Royal), but, I'd write in crayon if I had to.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
For plotting and generating ideas, I use pen and paper. I like a good, smooth, black-ink pen.

For everything else, I use my computer. No brand name, I built it myself from parts.

I use MS Word, because I used to do technical support for the product, which means I know it inside and out, still. I plan to switch to an open-source alternative soon, though. I don't want to pay for upgrades that don't really add much to the product.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanderbleek
Member # 6535

- posted      Profile for Vanderbleek   Email Vanderbleek         Edit/Delete Post 
I use my LG vx9900 (also known as the enV). The word processor isn't great at all, but it has a full keyboard, and is great for just jotting things down.

I'm also a big fan of pencils and paper. Not pens though; I can't think when I write in pen.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Toshiba laptop much of the time (MS Word 03)

Pilot ultra-fine pt black or blue ink on a Black n Red (quad ruled, naturally) notebook for longhand

The pocket briefcase talespinner mentions for quick notes (in an easy to access pocket of my purse)

A moleskine (quad ruled, naturally) tiny notebook for character ideas, observations of ppl in the coffee shop, story ideas/feeds, small stuff mainly

And a Palm Pilot z22 + wireless infrared keyboard at Starbucks, fueled by a double-shot short Americano (the only thing there I can stomach anymore, the sweet drinks are too sweet, the coffees are too bitter.) I wrote at least 35k of my 53k Nano project on this little combo, and it's just AWESOME. Something about the tiny screen where I can only see 3-4 lines at a time, plus the small but not too small keyboard, no internet, no distractions (my own music via iphone, can't stand the piped-in stuff at starbucks.) That's my most productive space.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Word 2000, and lots of notes scrached out on on whatever scrap paper is handy. My typing speed is abysmally slow. I like speaking my ideas aloud, feeling the words, so for Christmas I'm upgrading from Windows 98 to XP, with Dragon Naturally Speaking ready to load and try out with a digital recorder. Someone here mentioned voice-to-text, and my research says its come a long way --- I have high hopes!
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly Microsoft Works-whatever-version-came-with-my-computer. For bouts of writer's block, I'll return to typewriters...for short bits or poems, pen and paper. But mostly Microsoft Works, right here where I am now.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antinomy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for Antinomy   Email Antinomy         Edit/Delete Post 
Windows XP and cold black coffee -- too busy writing to take a sip.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

I'll also add I've started using large sheets of newsprint for sketching out plot arcs and so forth, and for working out stuff that requires a lot of thought and non-linear connections. Also, I like to draw maps and such with a calligraphy pen.
supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to prefer monochrome, say a 286 with one of those keyboards that could double as a blunt assault weapon with the cord you could use to tow your car.
Eventually I got used to pretty colors. I use a current-model PC, Winxp with OpenOffice (and numberous stand-alone readers for crit.)
I still require a heavy full-sized keyboard and luckilly I ran a computer shop for years... got plenty to chose from.
Since I'm primarilly visual I also employ Paint Shop Pro's very nifty thumbs browser for my 'illustrations.' IE, still photos that often spark my ideas.
Of course I require constant streams of Internet radio, mostly SKY.FM classical (for reading) and BRAINGEL.COM for writing. This will be pumped through WINAMP no newer than version 5. I have some nice one-pound headphones that I tie to my head with an old field dressing bandoleer. Volume requirements must make the headphones' frame rattle against my skull.
Any office chair will do, as long it is broken.
Of course the coffee is a must: Old, cold and bold.
Staring from my monitor frame are small black'n'whites of Herbert G, Alan C, Jerome D, Jules V, Carolyn J... in his special place is Karl Edward.
So there it is, absolutely the best set-up you'll require to write terribly. (:

[This message has been edited by supraturtle (edited December 13, 2007).]

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dienstag
Member # 5696

- posted      Profile for dienstag   Email dienstag         Edit/Delete Post 
A nifty little program called Q10. It's full screen so I don't get distracted by the internet. Oh, and it makes typewriter sounds while you're typing (which amuses me to no end).
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I use my Dell notebook which is running Freespire Linux. I use Open Office to write.

If I'm writing by hand, just some standard lined paper and some cheap Staples pencils.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SaucyJim
Member # 7110

- posted      Profile for SaucyJim   Email SaucyJim         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything is computerized for me: I use my laptop for writing, plotting, brainstorming, and character sketching. I also try and back up everything on a regular basis or have hard-copies lying around for that inevitable disc failure.

The only exception is a little leather-bound notebook I carry with me everywhere, which I use to write down story ideas and stuff when I'm on the move and don't have access to my computer.

Posts: 59 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

At home: Windows XP, MS-Word, various forms of metal at various volumes, and unfortunate amounts of caffeine.

In transit: I dictate into a digital recorder, then transcribe it on my home system at a later time. Before the digital recorder, I used to hang a small cassette recorder around my rear view mirror; it looked goofy, but worked well for me. To earn extra spending money, my oldest daughter has offered to do the transcriptions for me. I'm seriously considering it.

Out in public, with witnesses: I still enjoy the tactile sensation of pen to paper, so I like to keep a few notebooks nearby.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Windows XP, WordPerfect, a quiet house, a closed door, a lot of movie soundtracks, and a Coke -- if available
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not so different from many people, instead I prefer a cup of hot tea or coffee when I sit down to write.

I write mainly on my laptop, just a Acer Aspire 5310, 15.4" wide screen with Vista. I prefer to write on my laptop over my PC anyday. My PC is just random parts that work in unison to give me a pretty good system overall Built myself.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE my Dragon Naturally Speaking! Its cool. I can see its learning curve in action; when I correct a word, the software gets it right the next time I say it. And its decently accurate right out of the box. I've not tried the digital recorder yet, BUT the instructions say I can select a word in the transcribed doc and request a playback of just that section of the "tape"; no having to find it by myself to play back.

For those of you who have Vista, I've read that it has a pretty good voice-to-text capability built in. Don't know if it will work with digital recorders, though.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Google Docs and any computer or laptop I have available. It took me awhile to get used to Google Docs but I like the ability to access my work from any location.

I tend to do that up until the 3rd draft, then I'll move the doc to Word for awhile to print, edit, polish. When it is all finished I put it back in Google Docs so I have the final version accessible.

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like a secretary who could transcribe the rubbish that flowed from my mouth with out me lifting a finger. I reckon it would make my life easier.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am thinking of getting an Ipod touch as an MP3 player, but apparently you can download a hack to give it a basic word processor, which I thought would be great for taking notes--or doing short bits of writing.

I recently received an iPod Touch as a gift. As lovely as it is in most respects, Skadder, I don't think I'd want to use it for writing anything other than 'buy milk' or URLs. A little notepad and pen would work better, I think. Though maybe you'll like the keyboard better than I do? Not that I dislike it - it's great - just a little slow for writing creatively with.

I use an iBook G4, the program Mori for notes and TextEdit in another window for the actual writing bit. I keep everything in single-spaced 11pt Times New Roman while writing, and copy/paste it to AppleWorks and double-spaced 12pt Times New Roman or Courier New for editing. On the go I keep an idea notebook, but seldom actually write any kind of prose in there.

I tried a fullscreen program similar to the Q10 dienstag mentioned, but I found the full-screen you are writing and only writing now intensity a little too much for me.

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KStar
Member # 4968

- posted      Profile for KStar           Edit/Delete Post 
skadder- I used to be a secretary who transcribed rubbish as it flowed from someone's mouth. I can't say I've ever hated anything more.
Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Lately I find that my inspiration flees from me as I take the seat in front of the computer. Therefore I turned to writing with a pen. Nothing new for me - I have six full notebooks and one is half full already. I find that writing with a pen is emotionally more rewarding. And you have to stop to rest your fingers. That's when the best ideas come.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.