Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » 3 day weekend

Author Topic: 3 day weekend
Alye
Member # 5017

- posted      Profile for Alye   Email Alye         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it would be a good idea to do some major writing. Friday, the first day of my 3 day weekend was devoted to getting new eyeglasses and my 4 year old's birthday, so no writing. Saturday, took my family to dinner, and to see the Golden Compass, again no writing (I'm a sucker for my wife’s pouty lip). Sunday is my free day, I was going to get to write. But at 3 am ZAAAP our power goes out. The dreaded ice storm in Oklahoma felled a 70 year old oak in the ally way, taking out the power lines. No power. No heat. No computer. No lights. No writing.

My manager calls the cell phone and lets me know that work was canceled, as the office is powerless as well. We stay huddled under blankets all Monday while waiting on hold to the power company. We end up going to Grandma's house and staying the night. She has no power as well, but she has a gas furnace so at least we are warm.

Tuesday, still no work, I finally got through to the electric company, and was told quite rudely that it would be 10 to 14 days before the power is back on, and I have to pay to remove the tree.

Today I get to go to work. Its warm and we have internet!!

but Christmas is canceled, maybe.

$1300 - to repaired the power box on my house, that was ripped away.
$3000+ - to remove the tree.

102 year old Great grandma Flashing the all the house guests...
priceless /shudder

So 5 days off zero writing.

Posts: 126 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
But you could write a great short story on the experience.

Seriously...unexpected big bills are a bummer..no insurance?

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited December 12, 2007).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn. Sorry to hear that.

If you have it, check your homeowner's/renter's insurance. The policy might cover the tree removal but they should cover the power box. Also, there might be a rental reimbursement provision - but generally you have to add it to the policy.

Keep warm and invest in some legal pads and pens for writing until the power comes back.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Who owns the tree? If is not you, the legal owner, i.e. landowner is responsible for removing their tree and any repairs for damage it caused.

If you are the owner...maybe your insurance...

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. Horrible weekend. Sorry to hear how bad it was. Hope things get straightened out about the damage.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alye
Member # 5017

Well the ‘maybe’ on ‘Christmas is canceled’ line was maybe my insurance will cover it.

We don’t really know who owns the tree. its in the ally past the fence line. But OG&E says it has to be removed before they can restore power, one way or another.

I just bought a 50$ chain saw. Going to start clearing it away tonight. The hard part will be the limb that is laying on the detached garage. It’s not completely broken but its has visible cracks in it. If it falls on the garage full force it will go through it.

Posts: 126 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, and I thought I had an unexpected bill when I had to take the rabbit to the vet today, after older rabbit tore out younger rabbit's testicle, but that just about beats all my disaters.

Hope you get it all sorted very soon; it's horrible being without power and heat, even for a day.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Alye, do you have an extra metal ladder, or can you borrow one to put under the tree limb to at least help support it until (and while) you cut it away?

Might want to find an engineer (or a high school physics teacher) to help you guess the physics of moving it away from the garage without it doing more damage.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Using the tree to start a bonfire and roast Christmas marshmallows could also be priceless, though I'm not how priceless it would be in the middle of winter, but it's worth a thought.
Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We don’t really know who owns the tree. its in the ally past the fence line.

Could be the city's responsibility (or county, or municipal district). It might be better to call them first before you start work yourself.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your problems. And sorry for the loss of a 70-year-old oak!

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always gotten free tree removal by finding someone who needs firewood; they generally are delighted to cut up and haul away the tree for free. Too late for you now; the removal people have probably already made another several hundred bucks cording up the wood and selling it off...

But count your blessings. My computer is preparing to die a horrible death, and I shall be without it for several weeks as it takes a little vacation to California for repairs.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

> I had an unexpected bill when I had to take the rabbit to the vet today, after older rabbit tore out younger rabbit's testicle, but that just about beats all my disaters.

I bet the younger rabbit would have felt a fallen tree and no power was getting off lightly.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Been there, done that, after a fashion...having to survive a hurricane. In the end, I only lost power for about a day (some relatives and friends lost it for up to a week), and had a roof damaged that I was going to replace later that year anyway. I was among the lucky ones.

Oh, and if you use your chainsaw, don't use it up on a ladder. My brother learned that the hard way...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alye
Member # 5017

My brother-in-law is going to remove the tree. He is a contractor so he has all the equipment. he is only gonna charge me 200$ to pay his workers. Great deal as other places I have called are scalping charging 3000 to 5000 for tree removal.

My little chainsaw broke. I think, as I was cutitng the limb it pinched the chain and snaped a link, or it was just a really cheap chainsaw and wasn't made to last.

Alye
Member # 5017

Arrrrrr! (no I'm not a pirate)

OG&E told my brother-in-law that he cannot remove the tree, because it is laying on the downed powerline, and OG&E will have to remove it. This is contrary to what I have been told when I call in to their call center. I was told that I have to remove the fallen tree myself, before OG$E (<-hehe not a typo) will touch it.

[sing]
All Ah want for chrithmath ith ma e-lec-trth-a-tee
[/sing]

Alye
Member # 5017

Finaly on Christmas Eve we got our power back.
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! That must have been a miserable wait but Yay! for having power for Christmas.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alye
Member # 5017

YAY! for the first hot shower in days!!!! I kid, we have been staying in a hotel for awhile now.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.