Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Pratchett Reveals Alzheimer's Diagnoses

Author Topic: Pratchett Reveals Alzheimer's Diagnoses
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=46311

"Terry Pratchett, the best-selling fantasy author and creator of the Discworld series, announced on Dec. 11 that he has been diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's disease."

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw that. He said it was in the early stages and he expects to complete the books and conventions he already has planned.

Heavens, though, how awful. It's hard to imagine a worse fate for a writer.

Edit: Well it's an awful fate for anyone, of course.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 13, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
He's retaining his sense of humour and according to the BBC he calls it 'An Embuggerance'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7141458.stm

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this is sad. This disease is one of the ones I'm afraid of.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't this a disease that has been shown to have less of an impact on the mentally active?

There's a joke there that's in REALLY bad taste, but all I'm trying to say is: Writers shouldn't be affected by this disease nearly as bad as others. So it's not that his disease is bad for his occupation, but his occupation is already a part of his treatment.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
What a shame.

Hopefully, with his active mind and some of the treatments currently available, it will be a very long time before the disease impares him.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
The diagnosis of Alzheimer's for a writer must seem particularly sad. The movie Iris comes to mind. It's good to see he's mustering his courage and humor to bear through it.
Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding of early onset Alzheimers is that it's generally fast-progessing, too. The details are hazy, but I worry for him. How upsetting to get such a diagnosis, no matter who are you.
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Unfortunately, I've read the same thing about early-onset Alzheimer's. It's sad. Like a lot of people, this is on my list of the most horrible thing I can imagine.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the press reports yesterday...I'm not sure what Pratchett was diagnosed with, but I've been under the impression that a diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease can't be confirmed without an autopsy.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

It is confirmed with an autopsy, not made with one. People are diagnosed with it prior to death.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
But until the autopsy, it's just a guess.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I have read that there are widely accepted tests for dementia and Alzheimer's, but have no idea what they are. Referring to such a deadly illness as "a guess" seems a bit less than sympathetic.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeanne T, it may be a lack of sympathy, but it could also be a desire for hope.

Please try to give people the benefit of the doubt?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Heavens, ok.

I think it would be best if I didn't say anything about this or any other issue. That was as politely and mildly phrased as I could manage. Obviously, I just step on too many toes.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 14, 2007).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.