Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Organic writers--A question.

Author Topic: Organic writers--A question.
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I am a planner, ever since I started writing a year ago, I planned.
Often I will write a couple intro versions to establish the start point and the voice, but then I plan.

I was wondering, as I am thinking of defecting to the organic writing side, if when you write organically, i.e without a plan (although probably with some ideas) do you focus on the MC and write and other threads after or do you do it all at the same time? It would seem a massive thing to keep straight in your head without a plan, but I could understand doing a single thread and working other things later, as required.

So...do you?

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally do it all at the same time. I look at the whole piece holistically--one thread cannot be added or altered without changing the others, so I'm constantly rethinking what's going to happen. The key to doing this, particularly for novels, is to know your characters and your world. That way, you have an idea of how your characters will react. It is a massive thing to keep in one's head. I didn't used to, but now I find it's too much, so i jot it down. Not in outline, but simply a note to myself: Show motive for MC" or "MC needs to decide to kill dragon earlier." That sort of thing.

I think the beauty of organic writing is that you do it by instinct. It's not a matter of focusing on the MC but of "tuning in" to the story line. Feeling out your characters, letting them take you where they will, and figuring out how to make them grow and develop. That's where plot comes in.

With short stories I usually start out with either a scene or a theme, and focus on that. Usually an MC comes out of that, and as I write the story, I get other ideas, or encounter problems that need to be solved. At each point I stop and sort of reorganize stuff in my head. Sometimes I'll write it down, especially if I'm working on other projects (I have a terrible, terrible memory). Since a short story is, well, short, and generally tight and focused, I am able to keep it all in my head. However, I don't work other thread in--it's a one shot deal, all of it interconnected. I'll make changes, but one change will generally affect the entire thing.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Organic writers still do pre-writing. It's just that the first rough draft tends to be rougher than one for which a writer did a lot of planning.

I, for example, write organically. I just write it as I feel it, switching POV when it feels right, following the storyline as I see fit. Then, after I've finished the rough draft, I go through and make the changes that will turn the piece of crap I organically created into an actual good, polished piece of writing. In the novel I'm working on right now (well, I was working on it until I took a break and let you guys distract me) I had a love interest for the MC, who was the turning point for the MC at the climax of the novel, who has since been done away with completely. Likewise, the MC's father has taken on a much bigger role in the novel than he had in the rough draft. An entire subplot has been chopped, so that the main character of that lengthy subplot is now reduced to a talking head that pops up for about two total pages of the novel. A completly different subplot which did not exist in any form in the rough draft has now taken on a very important part of the story.

For us organic writers (at least for me), we do outline beforehand, it's just that the first draft serves as a very lengthy outline.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Writing quickly is essential if you are going to write organically. And what I mean by quickly is AT LEAST 1500 words a day for a first draft. I like to get in more than that. You'll slow down with subsequent drafts because you're focusing on getting things right instead of getting the story down. But in my experience you can't do both at once -- get the story down and get things write.

Also, when you write organically, trust yourself. Just yesterday I was working on a story in which a mother gives her teenage son a typewriter so he can write his stories. When I first saw it, I had the typewriter be an old-fashioned Royal, then I decided that didn't make sense and changed it to a 1970's electric typewriter. Later that day, as I was making dinner, I realized that the original idea was correct because the Royal typewriter belonged to the kid's grandfather, and he (the grandfather) used to bring in some extra dough by writing for the pulp magazines. So I had to go back and rewrite the scene, which was fine, because as I was rewriting it, I understood what the following scene was about -- and I also understood that his mother would be rooting for her son to succeed.

In other words, trust yourself, trust your "mistakes," and see where it leads you.

But most importantly -- write QUICKLY.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited December 13, 2007).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to disagree with a couple of comments in here. I am basically an organic writer. I plan the world and have a generall idea of the major plot points, but beyond that I don't plan. What Annepin said is pretty much how I write.

Where I diverge from the other comments are here:

quote:
It's just that the first rough draft tends to be rougher than one for which a writer did a lot of planning.

I'm not saying this isn't true for you, but it isn't true for me. I take a lot of time and effort in my first draft and would be willing to bet it's no roughter than one for most people who do a lot of planning. Quite the contrary.

quote:
Writing quickly is essential if you are going to write organically. And what I mean by quickly is AT LEAST 1500 words a day for a first draft. I like to get in more than that. You'll slow down with subsequent drafts because you're focusing on getting things right instead of getting the story down. But in my experience you can't do both at once -- get the story down and get things write.

I have to disagree for myself with this as well. I think what we're seeing is people assume that what works for them must work for everyone.

Sometimes I write fast, most of the time I write slowly--VERY slowly. I am a painstaking writer. That's just the way I am. I can't just dump words on the page. I have to think about what I'm writing and try to get it as close to right as I can.

That doesn't mean I don't edit. But I edit a first draft that has had a lot of work go into it.

All of which proves, if you want to try writing "organically" give it a try and see how it works for you. Different people's methods may or may not work for you.

I make notes in a note file of changes or additions I want to make on my 2nd draft.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 13, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know I was an organic writer...interesting way to put it.

Anyway, you can't write with no plan at all, IMHO. I always have a starting point and some idea where I'm going, often an ending. When you don't plan much, you usually have to resign yourself to the idea that your first draft is exploratory -- it is the planning, in a way. It doesn't require keeping a lot of details straight because you don't know them yet. You're discovering them as you go.

I enjoy writing that way because it's fun to discover the story with my characters. I get serious and fine-tune in the rewrite.

Not everyone can do it that way, though.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I agree with Christine that you can't write (or I can't--I've read that King does) with no plan at all. I know the story arc although that may change somewhat over the course of writing. Sometimes it changes a lot.

I will have things come up that I'll need to take care of later. Oh, that magic doesn't work since it's happening this way. So I make a note to go back and adjust something. I concentrate very closely on my main characters and try to really get into how they are reacting to things.

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
I write organically. If I plan, it is more knowing what scenes or situations I need to hit, many times, one scene is all I have and I create a story around that.

Try writing organically, and see how it works. If nothing else, It can be called PRACTICE. If nothing else, you will have something to work from for your real story.

I have always worked from the idea that write. get something on paper. Then research where you have problems. If the story has some problems, work them out in the first edit, which may require entire sections rewritten or eliminated. At least you have something to work on.

I have also work from the idea that only the author can create the story. Anybody can edit the story to publishable levels. Because of this, I have hundreds of pieces that desperately need rewriting because I am more interested in writing than editing.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny, because when I write professionally, I am required to develop a plan, a structure, a format; right down to the last detail. So, when I first started writing (and I'm so new to writing fiction that "the dirt's still on the radish," so to speak), I thought that I should write like that. So I sat down and planned out the plot to a novel and outlined every scene. What I found was that I was deviating from the plan, and that every time I did, the writing was better. It had more emotion, and the characters were more alive.

I hit the wall on the novel at 27K, and have let it sit for a couple of months. While it's been resting, I have been writing short fiction (anywhere from 450 to 12,000 words). And I've been having a blast. I don't plan it out. I get the story, start to bang it out, and then feel my way through. So, to my astonishment, I'm an organic writer, when all along I thought I was an inorganic one. Won't my wife be pleased. Now we are both emotionally and bio-chemically compatible!

But I never would have known if I hadn't played around with it and felt it out. Perhaps this is a good excercise. However you currently write, try to force yourself (or fall into it, as I did) to do it the other way. Even just once. Maybe, just maybe, you are more of the other than you thought...

Whew!!!! I'm so relieved. I think I'm going to knock off early, go straight home, and celebrate my organic composition!

[This message has been edited by Igwiz (edited December 14, 2007).]

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt any "organic" (I prefer the term "seat-of-my-pants" because that's often how it feels, LOL!) writer uses EXACTLY the same method as any other, which all of these posts are proving. It's interesting to see how others deal with their writing style.

My own "seat-of-the-pants" writing involves me knowing my lead characters VERY VERY well before even starting, but they do evolve as I write, as well (because I get to know them even better). Once I have a basic character in my mind, I'll do the psychological research to see what characteristics go along with him being overly impulsive (for instance), or what could make him so heartless and cruel (for the villain). If the villain's a sociopath, I want to know what defines a sociopath, what characteristics are common to them, that kind of thing (thankfully, my daughter has a Master's degree in criminal justice, a BS in psychology, so she's an excellent resource and a good place to start on my research).

Before I start writing, I have a good idea of the beginning and the ending, although the exact place where I began "Star Sons -Dawn of the Two" changed after I'd completed the novel and several rewrites - I added two chapters to the front, which improved an already good story with a more poignant start, and gave the reader some background for why my boys behave the way they do in chapter 3 (formerly chapter 1).

Before I start writing, I know some things about the villain and about some of the adventures I want my heroes to have, but the only things written down will be a description of the characters to help me keep a grip on them. Ethan, the older brother, is tall, strongly-built, responsible, serious, patient and shy. Jake, the younger brother, is smaller in build even as an adult, charming, quick-witted, highly impulsive. They're very protective of each other, although Jake has a rebellious streak. I know their faces, the sounds of their voices, the way they think (some of this evolved as I was writing, but I had a strong clue at the beginning).

One thing that helps me anchor my main characters is to choose someone (usually an actor) who resembles them either in personality or physically and keep that person in mind when I'm writing my characters. The "real" people used as models would probably never recognize themselves, and since I don't really know them, their personalities are my creation, but having a way to anchor that character somehow helps me to keep him grounded. On occasion, I'll create a character based on a blending of people I know or have known or met. I don't do this for all my characters, just the main ones.

Other characters I make up with no model can be kind of nebulous feeling until I get a feel for their voices and mannerisms, but it all comes out through visualizing scenes and listening for their voices, watching for their mannerisms. I'm a professional artist, so I'm a very "visual" thinker - working this way works for me. People-watching in malls can be a great way to help me envision characters if I have problems coming up with an "anchor" for that character.

I keep a list of characters, who they're related to and how, their physical characteristics, personality quirks, etc. This is very useful for me - I found out I had too many people with blue eyes once I checked my list, so I went back and changed some of them! Also, both female leads were turned out to be blond, so one became a strawberry blond. If not for my lists, I might have made a big mistake!

Once the book is written in first draft (which is very polished, since I go back and polish the previous day's work to get into the groove for today's writing), I make a list of what happens in each chapter, so I can look up when he learned that skill or spell, or when they met that character, or if I really did kill off that person or not. Without that kind of list, I'd get lost in a three-book (so far!) series like Star Sons.

I don't know if a "planner" can turn into an "organic" writer, but it should be fun for you to try it! I've tried doing the "outline/plan" system and nearly drove myself NUTS! So I went back to writing by the seat-of-my-pants and having fun with it again. As in many other endeavors, you'll just have to see what works for you.

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
In Plot & Structure, James Scott Bell talks about the different kinds of writers. He writes in the middle--semi-planned, semi-organic. But his recommendation to writers is to try various forms to find where they are comfortable. I agree with that. A writer may think they're organic, but find that planning works better for them, or the other way around.

For myself, I think I'm somewhere in the middle. Mostly, I just need to have enough material to keep writing, planned or not.

But I also think it can vary from work to work. For my next WiP, I've been trying to decide how to do it: organic or planned. I think its one where organic might be good, so long as I know the characters life story and I know what the secrets are. I don't need to have events laid out before hand this time. The one after that might be different?

[This message has been edited by lehollis (edited December 14, 2007).]

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree and disagree, Christine. I think you can't write without a plan and expect to come up with anything good, but you can write without a plan when the writing is your planning. I think we are actually saying the same thing; I just wanted to clarify my opinion.

It's my opinion. May or may not hold true for you as well.

The downside of my kind of writing...I started working with the storyline of my current WIP about 7 or 8 years ago with a few scattered short stories. It was just this year that I got it into a format (a novel) that I'm satisfied with.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with lehollis. It can vary from work to work, just as it varies from writer to writer. If organic doesn't work for a story you are doing, try planned, and vice versa.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

lol Kathleen I was just following a link you posted and found this:

Kathleen said:

quote:
I just finished reading Stephen King's ON WRITING, and in it he explains that he hates the idea of pre-plotting a story. He starts from a situation and a character and lets the story grow from there. He calls it uncovering the story the way an paleontologist uncovers a fossil.

It's a book I frequently recommend and a pretty good analysis of his advice.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with lgwiz.

I started with plans, databases of characters and locations, outlines of plots, totally buried myself in mounds of material.

I've learned to blast a draft fast after absorbing relevant research and a minimum of planning, and letting the characters take it where they will. I think my writing's improving and I'm certainly having more fun with it. This is only shorts, mind, I'm not tackling novels yet.

I suspect I'll wind up organic yet planned, sorta like my favourite music--jazz, blending structure and improv.

And I'm with everyone who says we're all different. Thank goodness.

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
I read King's On Writing in August, and I had already forgotten about the paleontologist comparison. Thank you for reminding me, Jeanne & Kathleen.

Someday, I'd like to try a truly unplanned, unprepared story to see how it goes, but I remember from my short-story days that it didn't usually go well. For me, some planning is always necessary.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone pointed out, also after reading King's ON WRITING, that what King failed to mention is how compelling and well-developed his characters are when he starts with them in a situation. He probably didn't mention it because he is unaware of that particular aspect of his writing--it is second nature to him.

It wouldn't hurt for those of us who aren't as good as King in our characterization abilities to remember the importance of interesting characters that readers can care about when we do organic writing.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

That's a great point. And I wonder how many of us who do organic writing actually start with a character? I always know who my main character is long before I start the novel. I wonder if it has to do with whether we start with a plot or a character?
Lynda
Member # 3574

I start with characters and a "what if" and I'll often know what I want the ending to be. That's usually enough info to get me writing.
Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried writing a cradle-to-story-beginning biography of a lead character for a novel---I went through three versions of it, the last well over ten thousand words. First, and most depressingly, I fell in love with my character, and was years dealing with that, and second, I've never been able to push the novel itself as long as the bio.

So I gave it up and went back to brief outlines when I use an outline at all. I find out about my characters as I go.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

Ouch, Robert! You wrote that much "backstory" on your character? Can you use any of it to develop a different story or novel? You might be off to a great start on a biography of sorts, perhaps of a fictional hero! Hmm, there's a title: Biography of a Fictional Hero - LOL!
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
wetwilly: Yeah, that's a good way of putting it.

When I was much younger (is 30 old enough to say that? Sigh...) I used to write with NO plan at all sometimes. I'd sit in front of the computer with a blank document in front of me and just start typing whatever words came to mind.

It was fun, but I never got past page 5 and actually, I don't remember ever turning one of those starts into a full story, though I went back and started over on a few.

Now I do something different. I still type whatever comes to mind on a blank document but instead of trying to write a story, I do free-form brainstorming for story ideas. This works much better for me.

We all have to find our own way.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to throw my two cents in...

Plotting and characters - what a concept! I am probably mor organic than King. I start with a concept - "what if this could happen?" - then try to think of a setting for it to happen in. Then I just start writing. I have a vague feel for where I want the story to go, but then there are these characters who appear on the page and start doing their own thing. If I'm lucky, we all are headed in the same direction (although sometimes they drag me to a better place than I had thought of).

In my case it is important to keep writing until I'm done, then I go back and start cleaning up inconsistencies, and try to fill in gaps.

I've tried outlining at the start, but the further I get from the beginning, the more the tale deviates from what I intended. I do okay on short stories, but the one time I tried a novel I was 80 pages into it when a secondary character hijacked the story.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I did calve off some of the developed background and characters and used them in short stories elsewhere...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.