Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Improving writing

Author Topic: Improving writing
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Now this may be an odd question but it's something I'm giving a lot of thought.

What is the best way of actually improving our writing? Mind has improved over the last year pretty substantially. But I feel as though I have hit a plateau. I know the mistakes that I used to make--over-using then, slipping into weak verbs without noticing, awkward phrasing. Mostly I've broken those habits or know to edit for them.

But I'm not quite sure how to go about taking that next step. I got a comment not too long ago (and an apology if it hurt my feelings) that my writing was easily in the top 10% of what he sees. The obvious problem with that is that the top 10% isn't good enough which was why he was apologizing.

Sorry to ramble a bit. I mean sure crits help. But I'm not sure that doesn't come to a point where you need to do more. Thoughts? Opinions?

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you talking about writing or storytelling?

If you're talking about writing -- the prose itself -- one way to do it is to find an author (probably outside the genre you mainly write in) and spend a week physically typing out his or her prose. Try to get 30 to 40 pages done. Then go to a completely different author the next week.

If you're talking about storytelling -- the way the story itself unfolds -- then the best way to do that is to carefully outline some short stories and/or novels to see how they work.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Interesting suggestions. Thanks. I'm talking about both. They're both pretty important.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 14, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wondering about this also. I know about "read more" and "write more" and "do crits" but I too wonder if there's more.

What got me wondering was this: I picked up "Perdido Street Station" by China Mieville and his writing is extraordinarily vivid, nore so than most of the stuff I read. (Maybe I'm reading the wrong stuff.)

One thing I noticed was that his vocabulary is rich. Now, I know what all the words mean, so my vocabulary is rich too - yet in my writing you don't see it. How can I enrichen my writing vocabulary to match my comprehension vocabulary?

I imagine, by extension, one can enrichen one's turns of phrases, use of metaphor, etc, also. But how?

Curious too,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 

I think it's difficult to say what can improve one's writing/storytelling beyond the usual advice (know grammar, know how to edit, read about story structure, practice, practice), simply because what constitutes "good" writing can be subjective at the higher levels.

To grab on to TaleSpinner's example (because I happen to be a Mieville fan myself), I found his writing very 'good,' and his storytelling entertaining, as well. But a friend of mine had a very difficult time getting through Perdido Street Station, and his complaint was with the writing style. If I were trying to improve my writing, I might try to make it elegant without being overly adjective-stuffed; rich. But a lot of authors (for one, Stephen King in On Writing if I remember correctly) advise against that kind of luxurious prose.

JeanneT, the top 10% is good! What may have gotten you in the top 5%, or even the top 1% in that particular commenter's opinion may be too subjective to strain for.

I think the 'next step' would be to write something substantial, edit it for mechanical correctness, set it aside for a while, and then pull it out after it's marinated to read it with fresh eyes, as if for the first time. Does it make you go, "wow, I love this! I wish I had written it - oh wait, I did!"? If it doesn't, hone in on what you felt was weak, as if critiquing another author - bland storytelling, lackluster prose, flat characters? I suspect the problems will be more subtle, but that's how I'd go about trying to improve my own writing. If the mechanical and stylistic elements are solid, I think individual preference and zeitgeist makes the difference between 'decent' and 'good' or 'great' writing, and you can only be true to yourself in that respect.

I hope that helps.

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeanne T:

I totally hear you. In reading, writing, and reviewing over the last several months (and I'm a newbie to trying to write at the semi-pro to pro level), I have realized some of my own strengths and weaknesses as well. I think this is a good thing, even if it's frustrating.

In a way, I think that concept/plot/structure is more important than good language. And that is frustrating for me, because I (usually ) don't have any trouble with the language part of it.

I have heard once or twice that, "the tale is in the telling." But I don't think they're talking about the words. I think they're talking about the twists and turns and sights along the road from point A to point B.

One of my favorite books to re-read as a beginning novelist is Anne McCaffery's first novel, Restoree. Its writing is average at best. But she had a solid plot (even if it was kinda all over the place), and it sold.

But the reason it sold was probably on the strength of the concept and the plot that was there.

This is long and drawn-out, but my core point is, you have to have something interesting and cool to write about before you can select the language to tell the tale. And I believe that can be accomplished without a lot of high-falutin' language. If I have to resemble anybody, I want to resemble Hemmingway rather than Turgenev or Tolstoy.

[This message has been edited by Igwiz (edited December 14, 2007).]

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, high-falutin' language turns off a lot of readers. I'd rather my books were read and enjoyed than that they were used as vocabulary exercises for school kids. I have an excellent vocabulary, but when I read, I want the story to drag me along at breakneck speed (most of the time - sometimes leisurely is better), so the language had better be the kind that glides right into my brain with no "stops" for me to say "huh? What does he mean by that?" or "wow, that's a cool word." Simple is best for that kind of writing. I want a gripping story, interesting characters, people I can believe in as the heroes, a satisfying conclusion both in stories I read and those I write. What you want may be quite different than that, and the people who are drawn to your writing may be quite a different audience than those who are drawn to mine.

All that said, the best way I've found to improve my own writing was to ask one of my strongest critics to be a regular reader for me. He pushes and prods me and annoys me into being a much better writer. My plots and characters are richer than they would be otherwise, and I've learned a lot from the (often painful) experience.

Other than that, write write write, then put the story away for maybe a YEAR. Then pull it out and see how it reads. Crit it the way you would someone else's story, then revise according to the crit.

Improving your writing is a difficult thing once you get to that "plateau" you mentioned. You have to look at your work dispassionately, unlearn some habits, learn new ones, and that's always hard. Good luck with it!

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad that you posted this JeanneT. I've been feeling the same thing, both in my prose and in my story crafting. Sometimes I feel as if I'm trying to write with one eye closed. I _know_ my skills aren't where they want to be, I just can't figure out what's lacking, or how to take it up to the next notch.

I've felt like this before, when I was in journalism school, and I think these lulls are a natural part of growing in a profession as self-directed as writing. I think our subconsciousness are working things out, and if you feed it with books and writing you like, it picks up on it.

The other thing I've found helps is to try something completely different. Try a radically knew style. Take on a story or narrative structure you've never tried before. Pick up a writing book and try out some exercises. When I feel in a rut, I find stretching myself is just the thing I need to do. Even just picking up a book in a genre I normally wouldn't read sometimes helps me learn something different.

As for story crafting, I came across a suggestion a while ago I've been meaning to do, just, well, haven't gotten around to it yet. James Scott Bell suggests taking your favorite books and jotting down each scene in it. This will enable you to see how the author has constructed his story.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I have seen the advise before about writing out the plot of a novel. I'm going to do that with a couple as an exercise. And I think I'll do it with some short stories as well which are a particular problem with me.

I'm not generally one for doing many "writing exercises." I've tended to feel the best writing exercise is--writing. But I've seen 3AM Epiphany recommended pretty highly. I may pick up a copy.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
The plateau happens every so often IF you are improving as a writer, and I think it's because your critical skills have out-paced your writing skills for a while.

If that's the case, the only solution is to keep writing, even if you begin to hate what you're writing. You need to give your writing skills the time and practice to catch up to your critical skills.

And you need to remember that as you continue to grow and improve as a writer, the plateau may happen again.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
With respect to the question of how to write more richly, one thing you can try is to immerse yourself in a writer who writes the way you'd like to be able to write. Don't pay attention to the story, pay attention to the style. Try to get the words to wash over you, to soak in.

Then try to write your own story while you're still dripping wet with the other author's style. (This metaphor is getting a bit much, perhaps?)

My experience has been that while I haven't actually written the way the author I chose writes, I was still able to write more richly for a little while.

Then I'd go back and do it all over again.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Well, I'm pretty sure that I'm improving as a writer. Even reading what I wrote two years ago is painful. *shudders*

wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, I don't know any way to improve except practice, practice, practice. Like others have said, write a lot and read a lot. Read the authors you admire and try to absorb something of their skill. That's all I know to do, and it has been working for me for a long time.

"I want to buy a house near Carnegie Hall. That way, when people ask me how to get to my house, I can say 'Practice practice practice, and then take a left.'"
-Dimitri Martin-

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I hope that the writing and reading are a given.

Edit: I don't think "writing richly" and using a lot of adjectives and adverbs are the same thing. In fact, often it's the opposite. People throw in the adjectives and adverbs very often because they can't find the right (rich) word. The evocative noun... the verb that really shows the action. So they try to make up their lack of richness with a lot of weaker words.

Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
Re-reading this thread, I was reminded of something I've noticed in my own "writing cycle," related both to rich writing and a sense of improvement.

I know that, for me, when I'm mentally stimulated, I write better. I write better when school's in session and I'm constantly reading nonfiction about history - and furthermore, hearing lectures on it, discussing it, and writing about it, since I still simply read it in the summer. And in the summer, when I'm working, generally at very mind-numbing jobs, the doldrums seep in and I find writing anything above mediocre to be more difficult. It's disgruntling, since summer is when I technically have the most raw time to write with.

The mental stimulation generates ideas, and writing a lot of essays seems somehow to hone the creative writing process. It makes it more enjoyable, too.

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alethea Kontis
Member # 3748

- posted      Profile for Alethea Kontis   Email Alethea Kontis         Edit/Delete Post 
My advice is to:

1.) Keep reading

and

2.) Keep editing other writers' work.

The first thing will help you find a voice or style you want to emulate, or a genre you want to write in, or an idea you might want to pursue.

The second will have you s mad at the stupid things other people do in their fiction, that you will be conscious of every time you are on the verge of doing the same thing in your own writing.

Editing professionally has been possibly the best (and worst) thing to ever happen to my writing.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I see the point of what you're saying, but I think that more applies for the beginning stages. Really the read and write are the "baby step" advice. Sure we need to continue to do that but I think there is learning that is possible beyond--just read and write and you'll get better.

I'd like to discuss what we can do at a higher stage (let's hope we've gotten to a higher stage) when improvements no longer necessarily come easily.

Not being an editor, I'm not going to take up editing and I can't say I regret that. lol

Edit: There are workshops, of course. I am taking one this summer. But I'd like to think there are things we can do on our own.

Alethea Kontis
Member # 3748

- posted      Profile for Alethea Kontis   Email Alethea Kontis         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeanne, three weeks ago my latest book hit the New York Times Bestseller list. From my POV I can tell you, there's just not a higher stage.

Keep reading. Keep editing. Don't take yourself too seriously, and don't forget where you came from.

Sometimes we forget the basics, or feel that we've evolved past them...but that doesn't stop them from being important.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Oh, I didn't mean to say to ignore the basics.

Maybe you're right and there aren't more steps that we can take. But I'm still looking.

Edit: On thinking about it, and believe me I don't mean this to seem rude, but if there is nothing we can do to improve our writing, why would we take workshops, read books like King's On Writing and do exercises like the ones in 3AM Epiphany which I've seen highly recommended by other writers?

I signed up for Dave Farland's novel writing workshop this May. I debated a long time which one to sign up for since I can only afford one. I'm going to go out and buy that Epiphany book later today. I am going to try out the idea from Kathleen and a couple of other people in emersing myself in a good writer's work, reading it repeatedly and even typing it to fully absorb it.

Those might not work or not be needed by everyone. Alethea, maybe you're just naturally such a good writer that you don't need to work at it as hard as I do. I can believe that. As with all talents, it comes easier to some than to others. But I don't think I'm going to be as good as I want to be if I don't put extra effort into improving.

annepin
Member # 5952

Even if there isn't a "higher stage" (and I'm not convince that there's not, either, as long as I find things I want to change in my writing) I wonder if it's not the search for it that matters, or at least the continual strive to be more than we are, to push ourselves to improve our art and craft.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Sorry, one more thought, and then I'll stop procrastinating...

But maybe it's a question of refining your efforts (and I'm using "you" in the general sense here). When you're a beginning writer, you're eager to learn everything. However, once you've gotten a handle on the basics, it's time to identify more precisely what you want to improve and do a detailed, targeted study.

"Improving writing" is such a general concept. Its meaning will be different for everyone, whether it's improving your prose or story-craft. So maybe it's a matter of deciding, for instance, that you want to improve setting descriptions. You study it, picking up books, forgetting about the story line for the moment and focusing only on how the author conveys setting. Then you try it. This is where the writing exercises might help.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Jeanne T, a book that may serve as a guide for you is Noah Lukeman's THE FIRST FIVE PAGES which is intended to help writers avoid rejection from editors, but which can also be a guide on things writers can work on as they improve.

It lists a kind of hierarchy of things editors tend to look for when they read a submission, though every editor is going to put them in a little different order.

If the story passes on the first item (Lukeman lists them from simplest or easiest to hardest or most complex, in his opinion), then the editor checks for the next item, and so on.

Of course, editors don't have time to do this mechanically (with a checklist), for the most part, so it's more of a subconscious checklist (which is also why it's different for different editors), but it's a guideline to what you can work on as an author. And for that I recommend it to you.

psnede
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
My question is where do you start if you are just beginning? Obviously reading and writing, writing, writing are key, but are there specific suggestions to starting out? I've never had any training.

JeanneT - My goal is to make it where you already are. I've got to believe the last 10% is the hardest part - so your post is a intriguing one.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

psnede, I have three "writing assignments" in the Writing Class area that are intended to help beginners get started. The first one is here and you don't have to read the whole topic to get the idea.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

Those are some good assignments, Kathleen.

If I could make another suggestion, I'd also recommend reading two classics about writing: King's On Writing and Card's How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy. Ha! Not all at once. It's a lot to absorb, but those are pretty basic for learning the craft.

Thanks for the recommendation, Kathleen. I'll pick that one up.

Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
Althea, CONGRATS on your NY Times bestseller status!! How wonderful for you!!

Hoping to follow in your footsteps . . .
Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alethea Kontis
Member # 3748

Thanks, Lynda! It really hasn't quite sunk in yet.

I've been a long time in the making, and Boot Camp in 2003 was the tremendous boost I needed to get my Rear in Gear.

But I'm still a work in progress. And there are still many worlds left for me to conquer.

(We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.)

Alethea Kontis
Member # 3748

PS -- and Jeanne, sweetie, don't be fooled by the flashy title. Luck might have thrown me in the path of five speeding book contracts, but I'm still technically eligible for Writers of the Future.

And if I was such a "naturally good writer", I probably wouldn't have started out flunking all my English classes in high school and definitely would have majored in something other than Chemistry.

Writing is just like any other creative art. You become obsessed with it, love it until you hate it, and then do it some more.

But you guys already know all that, or you wouldn't be here.

skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Not wishing to hijack this post...I have been writing for about a year and although I try to get better a small part of me wonders if I am really wasting my time. Perhaps I will never be good enough to get a novel published. I haven't even had a short story published yet.

It's difficult to know.

Argh...the doubt--it's choking me..

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Oh congrats on your writing going so well.

I think you're probably underestimating yourself. But I don't mean to imply that you haven't worked hard to get there. Even if you don't feel that you have to struggle to increase your skill, I don't think anyone eventually reaches success in writing without working at it.

Oh, I once flunked Sophmore English in HS. It had to do with my tendancy to read the book the first day of school then think about something else for the rest of the year.

Edit: Skadder, the only thing to do with doubt is stomp on it. Believe me, everyone feels it.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

skadder, just to offer some perspective:

I started writing and sending stories to editors the year we gave my oldest daughter a tricycle for Christmas. She was driving a car when I made my first sale.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

When I start reading a book on writing that I haven't read before, I like to "take notes" on it. For some reason (maybe the way I process?), reading, then writing down what I've found important in what I read, helps me get more out of such books.

So I recommend that to anyone who reads up a "how-to-write" book in order to improve their writing. If it doesn't work for you, fine. But it can't hurt.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

Good idea, Kathleen. I've never tried that with how to books but taking notes is a good way to fix information in the mind.
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me -- to me -- that the best writing is desceptively simple seeming. Simple clear prose that evokes images and emotions in the reader. This doesn't mean an third grade vocabulary list. But that pure elegance that really good (and usually successful) writers reach.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Alethea!!!! That's wonderful.

Skadder, keep at it. Lots of people write for years before there is any hope of publishing. Don't write because you want to be published. Write because you love it. Hone that work because you love it. The rest, well, if you keep chipping away, it will come.

As Alethea humbly said: "Luck might have thrown me in the path of five speeding book contracts: but if she had stopped trying she wouldn't have been on the path for luck to find her.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.