Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Important Microsoft Word Note

Author Topic: Important Microsoft Word Note
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
From another thread:
quote:
On the one book per file thing, I seem to recall a time when Word would unpredictably collapse given a large file, and it was safer to split a book amongst several files and print them individually--which made page numbering and a table of contents a nightmare. With larger and faster computers these days that might no longer be a problem, but this conservative luddite will not risk it.

This is true. Don't put your novel into one file unless you yearn for the feeling of losing it all, forever.

A few years ago I did technical support for Microsoft Word. We had front-line technicians taking calls, and more experienced "Mentors" assisting them and taking over difficult cases. I was the technical supervisor over the mentor team.

I can't count how many novels, thesis, memoirs, and such that I saw lost because a customer had it all in one file with no backup. Word is unstable when a document has over 200 pages (Microsoft forbid us from admitting that.)

So if you're novel is more than 200 pages (give or take), you're risking a great loss. Just because it has never happened, does not mean it won't. I saw it happen a lot. At the very least, have a backup of the file.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Well you shouldn't have ANYTHING IN ANY APPLICATION without backup.

Back up EVERYTHING of any importance!!! OFF-SITE!

There are computer crashes, thefts and house fires. For heaven's sake!

I don't worry about having my novel in one file because I have an automatic backup on two different backup services because I don't trust a backup service. (two may be over-kill but I have known too many things to go wrong)

Yes, I'm fanatical. But I've known someone who had a computer stolen and lost a novel he'd worked on for three years and had never backed up! I also knew a company that lost many thousands of dollars worth of information because they were too lazy to back up their servers in spite of multiple warnings.

The problem isn't having it in Word. The problem is not bothering with something as important as backup! There are free and low cost backup services out there. USE ONE!

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 14, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes on the backups, but also, lehollis is saying don't keep your document in one large file unless it's under 200 pages.

If it's easier to work with a master document, fine, keep it in one document, but periodically I suggest chopping it up into smaller bits and sending THOSE off to your offsite backup.

I also email my current WIP to myself (thing things I'm not actively working on will be covered via that offsite backup I use as well as my local "in another room" backup - which prevents the "dropped my laptop on its hardrive" which has indeed happened to me.) By emailing the doc to myself, I get it in at least two more places. The sent mail on my main mail server/database. The received mail on the OTHER (which is a server-side email, the mail is stored on the server therefore I could access it from a remote computer.)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Email is an easy backup if your email is saved off site.

I should clarify that I do NOT work on my novel in one file. I was just saying that I consider that much less an issue than backup.

I went into a lengthy explanation in another post that I write my novel in chapters. I wait to put it into one file. I only put it in one file after it is being edited in order to do pagination and for the ability to check consistency in spelling, etc.

Writing it in separate files makes editing a problem though and I was complaining about that. I have a feeling my explanation was a bit confusing from the responses I got.

And even if you have it in separate chapters it should be backed up in some way. I would strongly suggest using automated backup--in my experience otherwise people won't.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 14, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

Backing up data *is* important, I'm not going to argue that. I work for a company that sells software to automatically back up data off site, so there's no way I'll say it isn't important.

However, in the context of this thread, I don't think we should hijack away from the important information I gave.

Here's why: YOU CAN BACKUP YOUR CORRUPT DATA AND NOT REALIZE IT UNTIL SEVERAL VERSIONS LATER. (Hey, Jeanne used all caps; so can I.) The damage caused by that kind of data corruption is not always evident right away. It can sit for a long time.

So, I have to disagree. Backing up is NOT *more* important. It's equally important. Further, advice to back up off site is everywhere. Information on the limitations of Microsoft Word, is not everywhere.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Sorry to have used all caps, lehollis, and for hijacking. Backups are something I get a bit excited about because people don't.

Yes, I am sure you are know what you are talking about concerning Word document length and we should listen to your advise on it.

lehollis
Member # 2883

Jeanne, I was actually trying to be funny about the caps, but I realize I didn't make it obviously so. No worries. (I do get sensitive about them because I read a quote once that said if you have to yell, you don't have anything worth saying. I'm trying to get over that realize that its just a way of emphasizing something.) Sorry if I seemed testy.

And I agree wholeheartedly that backing up is important, I don't want to take away from that. I just don't want the whole thread to turn into backing up so much that the advise on document length is lost in the pile.

[This message has been edited by lehollis (edited December 15, 2007).]

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Good point on the corrupt file going unnoticed for a while, lehollis. I have seen that on more than one occasion. Question for you - one of the things I tend to do (just my work style, I have always done this regardless of what I'm writing - boring business docs or a short story or whatever) - if you save subsequent versions as separate files (using Save As feature in Word) - do you run the same risk of data corruption? Say for example I have files I've labeled v2, v3, v4, each saved about 1 week apart. v4 goes corrupt. Seen it happen. It's a tear-jerker. Sniff sniff.

Will v3 likely be corrupt too? I saved it a week ago...is it toast?

Is there a solution for a file that seems to be getting iffy but isn't yet corrupt? Are there hallmarks that "warning - this data is getting to be too much for your poor word processor."?

I ask because I have noticed with a few of my larger files (all text) - that occasionally the file size starts to creep up for no apparent reason from version to version. So, one of the things I have done is to go into the most recent, copy the text, then paste into a new blank document, and save. This usually clears up the file size issue, I saw it save a good 50k on a recent document. Same text, new blank document, 50k less spaec on disk. Weird. But I know how Word likes to garbage collect.

My point is - would it be smarter for me to do this copy/paste trick to go from v2 to v3 to v4, rather than going through "Save As"? I have a feeling it might...

Thanks to you or anyone who wants to offer input. I'm curious.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

KayTi, I should qualify my above statement by emphasizing that it was years ago that I supported word (version 2003 didn't even exist then.)

First, here is an important bookmark for anyone using Word. We used to have an impressive list of what how to handle a possibly corrupt document. Here it is:

quote:
Is there a solution for a file that seems to be getting iffy but isn't yet corrupt? Are there hallmarks that "warning - this data is getting to be too much for your poor word processor."?

"How to troubleshoot damaged Word documents"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826864/en-us?spid=2530&sid=1407

And the great thing is that text files are usually the easiest to repair. I would recommend going straight for the "Things to Try If the Document Opens and It Shows Unexpected Behavior" in the case you mentioned.

(The order of steps in the document is a little clunky. I would read through the whole ting first.)

As far as multiple versions, you can try to backtrack to a clean version. There is no way to avoid a creeping corruption like that, but saving versions is definitely safer. To be specific, v3 may or may not be toast. The only way to know is to check. (Sadly, there isn't more to it.) However, just because v4 went bad, it doesn't mean v3 will go bad again if you revert to it. So it really is a good practice.

quote:
I ask because I have noticed with a few of my larger files (all text) - that occasionally the file size starts to creep up for no apparent reason from version to version. So, one of the things I have done is to go into the most recent, copy the text, then paste into a new blank document, and save. This usually clears up the file size issue, I saw it save a good 50k on a recent document. Same text, new blank document, 50k less spaec on disk. Weird. But I know how Word likes to garbage collect.

Yes, it does like to collect garbage in the background. For example, you can bold an entire sentence and the formatting will actually break it into three separate sections that need to be bolded, though its one large chunk.

Another way to deal with this is to save the file as text in the Save As dialogue box. Then open the text file and save as a word document again. (We used to call this technique Round-Tripping.) This depends on how much formatting is in the file. It shouldn't alter a short story formatted for submission much at all.

Otherwise, the copy/paste thing you mentioned probably works well. (It's always a good idea to show paragraph marks and not copy the last paragraph mark--that's the King Junk Collector.)

[This message has been edited by lehollis (edited December 15, 2007).]

Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had Word files lose their formatting after painstakingly going through and fixing everything to be a certain way. I've had lines just disappear! I saved my novel chapter by chapter, but had to put it in one file to send it to those who critted it for me (I have a staff of dedicated readers who do this for all my stories/novels, bless them). I learned the hard way that you CAN save a big file (mine was 400 pages until it got formatted with a different font, etc.) safely if you save it with a new name every 10 saves. I add the date to the file name and if I do a LOT of editing on one day, the file will have "a" or "b" added after the name and date.

One safe way to save it is to make it a .pdf. You can't edit those without special software, but at least you'll have a saved, safe copy of that "generation" of your novel.

I back up to my laptop and to a memory stick (we have a wireless network). I also have those readers who I'll email chapters to. One time when I had a major glitch, I was able to recover my work by requesting the file from my reader. (Whew!!)

Word is a glitchy mess, but I've used a couple of novel-writing softwares and researched others, and Word is the best I've found so far - and that's what articles I've read have said, as well. For just writing, Word's best. The novel-writing softwares I've used (WriteItNow and Hal Spacejock's YWriter) are good for organizing stuff (WIN has a great way to keep track of your characters, locations, etc., with specific details noted and all that - that's my favorite thing about that software), but for just writing, Word works best for me, glitchy as it is.

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also a fan of the saving multiple versions. Any time I work on a novel for any significant chunk of time (say an hour+) I save the novel to a new filename with the day's date, for example "WIP12142007.doc"

This way, I can keep track of the changes I've made, if I reworked a chapter and decide I liked the old version, or if a file gets corrupted, etc. I then save the master list of all backups on 2 computers, as well as an online email account and a flash drive I keep on my keychain. All 4 would have to go down to lose anything permenantly.

Mostly, though, I've done it for fear of a computer hard-drive crashing. I actually haven't (knocks on wood) had any problems with word files glitching or getting corrupted, so far anyway...

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm glad I mentioned it and sad it still ain't fixed. Thanks for the info, lehollis.

What's annoying is that a manuscript submission needs hardly any of the fancy formatting that Word is capable of. That's why I tried other word processors and writer's tools. But its ergonomics and the fact that you can control it with templates are the best I've seen at the price, so still I use it.

My experience of using software with known flaky bits is to stay well away from their known limits. In other words, rather than hope to spot a file that's going to crash, I'll stay well away from the 200 page limit lehollis kindly mentioned--by setting myself an arbitrary limit of around 100 pages, say.

On backups, it's true that not taking backups is a common malaise. Another common mistake is to not check that backups can actually be read and restored from. And as lehollis says, if the backup is corrupt all is for naught.

I don't use an online backup service: I travel too much and cannot always get an internet connection when I want one. (And I'm leary of online services--what if my internet connection, or the service, is down for some reason and I want my backups?)

I dump large amounts of backup data onto DVDs, some kept in the office (for an immediate restore) with duplicates off-site. I also copy WIPs onto a large memory stick for an instant, quick backup in case of finger fumbles.

Cheers,
Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited December 15, 2007).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a good online back up service that is free, gives you 2gb of secure space.

http://mozy.com/home

Then if your house burns down, killing your four computers, just after your pet chewed you portable storage, you will be safe.

Ahhh, peace of mind.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm a great believer in physicality. Usually after a certain point (like completing a short story) I print it out---since I'm going to retype the whole thing from scratch I might as well. I let my novel go a little long---one hundred thousand words and still incomplete---before printing it up.

Of course, I usually back up the files, too---I wind up with a series of diskettes labeled TITLE OF NOVEL / DATE, usually one a month till the end. (I've had catastrophic file failure from time to time.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, lehollis, thanks for this info. I'm surprised it's not more well known. It explains something that happened to me a long time ago--my massive novel folder one day wouldn't open. I got an error message saying it was corrupted. I had a back up I'd made on a disc, tried to open that, and got the same problem. Luckily I had most of it in bits and pieces in other files.

(And thanks for the in depth post on auto-chaptering in the other thread!)

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah---that's pretty stupid to keep a novel in just one file. I have about 20 redundant backups. But I'm paranoid.I also exaggerate.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute--doesn't anybody use Master and Subdocuments?

I always keep each chapter in a separate file. When I want the whole book (or as much of it as I've written) just to look at, or to send out for critique, I expand the Master document and Voila! there it is, correctly paginated and everything.

I have to admit--I use WordPerfect, not MSWord. It occurred to me that MSWord might not have this feature, though that seemed unlikely, so I searched around and found the help topics. While I didn't think the instructions were terribly clear, I was able, in about an hour, to figure them out, take a copy of my first novel that I'd converted to MSWord, change it to a Master document, and then condense it, creating all forty-one MSWord chapter documents, and shrinking the "book" file down to 40k.

As I said, I don't generally use MSWord. Though the WordPerfect version works just fine, it's possible that this feature in MSWord is super-buggy, or something. But it's there, and it seems to work in the time I gave it. And certainly people have no good excuse for writing 200 page chapters.

How come nobody is using this?

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I combine the chapters when I get ready to put my novel into a master file but I don't use the master document fuction because all of the documents have to be in the same file and I don't do my chapters that way.

Think about it. If I had 30 chapters and 5 versions of each chapter I'd have a file with 150 documents in it. That would be insane! How do people do that? I would go nuts. And that wouldn't include auxiliary documents like chapter summaries, synopsis, snippets, queries... Yikes. *shudders at the thought*

And I also recommend Mozy. It's free and it's automatic. Computers do get stolen, you know. Floods and stuff happen. Why take a chance?

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 15, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 15, 2007).]

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, that would be a problem doing it that way. I just save the old version of the chapter with a different name and then make the changes. The only versions that show up in the master document--and the only files connected with it--are the most recent ones. (After all, those are the only ones I want to submit or get critiqued.)

Wait! I just read the other thread that sparked this one. When you said

quote:
I don't use the master document function because all of the documents have to be in the same file
you meant to say "in the same folder," right?

They do? I think that if you create a master document from something like a complete novel, it will automatically put all the subdocuments in a single folder, true. But if you create a master document and add subdocuments, they can be anywhere. So if your "Chapter1" folder has a file in it called "print" (which is just a duplicate of your latest version), your master document could link to "...\Chapter1\print.doc" and include the right thing each time. Also, this way, if you create a new chapter between 1 and 2, called "Chapter1.1" (as suggested by KayTi), you just create a new subdocument between chap 1 and 2 that links to "...\Chapter1.1\print.doc" and it will put that chapter in the right place. Use the automatic chapter numbering described in the other thread by lehollis, and when you expand the master document you'll have the whole book with properly numbered chapters. Who cares if the chapter in your file "Chapter2/print.doc" is actually chapter 3? It's in order, and it's got the right number when you print it.

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited December 15, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited December 16, 2007).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I don't use the master doc feature in Word is that I have learned over the years that new features in this and most products are buggy, and sometimes the bugs are not apparent after a few short tests.

(Tests that work do not prove the product works. They only show that, if there are bugs, the tests did not expose them.)

Does anyone know if the feature is reliable?

Curious,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

I agree with that completely, especially where Microsoft is concerned. And I am also curious whether this works well in Word. As I said earlier, I use WordPerfect, where the feature works well (and I've used it for maybe ten years, now). So it's certainly workable. And it's so useful for novelists that I thought there must be some Word person out there who's tried it and knows for sure whether it actually behaves itself.
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Yes, you're right that I said file when I meant folder.

I set up a folder for each chapter and keep the revisions (and I am a bit obsessive about keeping ALL my revisions).

As I mentioned, Kayti's naming protocol is perfectly logical except that I already use the extensions for revision numbers and I don't want to change that.

I never tried to set up a master document with existing files. You might be correct that it would work. I thought they had to be in the same folder as well. I'll go experiment and see.

Is there any advantage to using a master document as opposed to just inserting the files?

Edit: Ok, on the whether the files have to be in the same folder or not--this is from the Word Help on master documents:

quote:
If you want to use existing Microsoft Word documents as subdocuments, move these existing documents into the folder.

So I do believe that they have to be in the same folder even if they are existing documents.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 16, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 16, 2007).]

rickfisher
Member # 1214

Interesting. Just shows how screwed up Microsoft can be. I thought I'd tried it--I had tried it--but I tried it again just to see what was going on. I can easily include a subdocument from another folder, but when I collapse the master, it puts a NEW file in the same folder as all the other stuff, and that's the one it wants you to edit. Really stupid. I can understand why a person might want all their files in one folder, but a program's got no business insisting on it. I mean, the collapsed master lists every file by complete pathname! Why bother if the path can't differ?

Oh, well. I guess I'll just stick with WordPerfect on this.

Of course, for anyone who has all their chapter files in one folder anyway, this might still be useful.

Oh, for what it's worth, I've only got Word 2000. So the feature can't be all that new. (That still doesn't mean that it works very well, obviously, but it suggests that any bugs--by which I mean problems the programmers didn't intend, as opposed to simple design flaws--might actually be worked out in more recent versions.)

--Ah, but now I see from the other thread that the master document feature is specifically listed as one that is likely to corrupt files. (Thanks, TaleSpinner.)

If any WordPerfect users out there are writing novels, however, and are NOT using the master document feature, I strongly recommend it. It's convenient, easy to use, and lets you have smaller files. But MSWord people should probably avoid it.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

Does WordPerfect have Change Tracker and Comments?

It's not that I'm particularly attached to Word, but that's how my readers normally give me all of their line edits and suggestions so those features are an absolute necessity--besides which they use Word. So I'm probably stuck with it whether I want to be or not.

rickfisher
Member # 1214

WordPerfect DOES have something equivalent to Change Tracker. It can also read and write Word files. Whenever I want to send something for critique, I always convert it to Word first.

And unfortunately, WP's Change Tracker thingy is one of the few things I've come across in WP that's buggy. I tried using it a number of times, and each time the file eventually wound up getting corrupted. Word has the edge on that one.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

I thought that it probably did have some equivalent. Too bad it's buggy because those are really good features.

I use them constantly. And unfortunately since all my readers use Word, I suspect I would lose the tracking and comments in coverting the files between formats, although I can't be sure. That's just the way those things usually work.

rickfisher
Member # 1214

The conversion actually works quite well, except that changes aren't identified as changes anymore; they're just marked with strikeout or redline codes (so the eliminated text will have a line through it and the inserted text will be red). In other words, you can see the changes easily enough, but the Track Changes equivalent doesn't recognize them. Comments remain comments; no problem there. But changes have to be found by eye, or by searching for the codes.

Except there's no point to it. Even if you switched to WP for other reasons, there'd be no reason to get rid of Word. Despite numerous things I dislike about it, it's the best thing to use for critiquing.

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I have WP, and I use it. I like it a lot, I've always used it. But, unfortunately, it's pretty difficult to find.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Oh, thanks for the information, rickfisher. That sounds like it works much better than I expected.

I have no particular reason to switch at the moment, however it means that when I eventually decide to update I can consider that as an alternative... and it's good information for others.

However I suppose as long as the Change Tracker is buggy in WP, I actually wouldn't. As you say, for critiquing, Word definitely seems to have the edge at the moment. And that's too important to give up.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 17, 2007).]

Alye
Member # 5017

- posted      Profile for Alye   Email Alye         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
GMail Drive is a Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual filesystem around your Google Mail account, allowing you to use Gmail as a storage medium.
GMail Drive creates a virtual filesystem on top of your Google Gmail account and enables you to save and retrieve files stored on your Gmail account directly from inside Windows Explorer. GMail Drive literally adds a new drive to your computer under the My Computer folder, where you can create new folders, copy and drag'n'drop files to.

http://viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

Posts: 126 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

The only reason I can imagine for the mention of GMail Drive in this thread is as a possiblility for backup file storage.

Backups have to be reliable.

This tool is expressly not guaranteed reliable either by Google or by its maker.

The GMail help centre at http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13107 says:

"Using third party software applications that interact with Gmail directly violates the Terms of Use that all users must agree to before creating a Gmail account. Google does not endorse any third party applications meant to interact with Gmail, and we will not provide support for them."

The blurb at http://viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm says:

"... changes in the Gmail system may break the tool's ability to function. I cannot guarantee that files stored in this manner will be accessible in the future."

And

"Be aware that support for this tool may suspend at any time if Google decides to block its use."

Am I missing something?

Pat

JeanneT
Member # 5709

I am convinced that if backup isn't automatic about 99% of the people won't do it. If it is automatic 95% STILL won't do it.
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the paranoid number of copies group. I have two copies at the office, one on the harddrive and one on the server, my USB drive, my laptop and my husband's lap top.

Once many moons ago (before USB drives) the Falcon story file had gotten so large that I was zipping it and carrying it between the home computer and office computer on a 3.5 disk. Of course, the Zip file was contaminated and the most recent version on the home computer was eaten by it. $300.000 later a tech managed to retreive most of the file. Sigh. Hence the many many copies.

You break the story into chapters when writing the first draft??? Wow. That's not a skill I have. I write it all as one blob and then when editing go back and put the chapters in where the breaks fall.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

I also break it into chapters on the first draft. It isn't much of a skill, in my case: when the file gets to be around 2000 words, I look for a scene break and start a new chapter.

However, that doesn't keep me from going back later and RE-chaptering.

MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that many of us authors are paranoid about losing our work due to technical difficulties and/or random accidents. I used to have everything on two computers and two sets of floppy disks. Since technology progressed, I now keep a copy of it on the USB device I keep with me all the time. The floppies are still there but I don't use them anymore. Of course all files were locked with a password and some still are. I don't lock new ones - lately my paranoia has subsided drastically.

As to large documents, I have given up on Word as I reached 100 pages because it took three minutes to reach the end of the document using CTRL-End command. Now I keep every chapter in a different file, non exceeding 30 pages.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

"It seems that many of us authors are paranoid about losing our work due to technical difficulties and/or random accidents."

Yep, we are. I've learned that if ever I get complacent and forget to back things up (because the machinery of the day is so reliable compared to what went before) something happens and I spend forever recreating what was lost and cursing myself and promising myself faithfully that I will remember to back things up forever more. Until the next time ...

Cheers,
Pat

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.