Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » duotrope

Author Topic: duotrope
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I may be the last person here to find out about duotrope digest, but it list dozens!!! of paying sf and fantasy markets I didn't know existed, as well as providing a free handy on-line submission tracker that I'll be using from now on.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
It's great. You can filter by the whether they're Semi-pro or token, whether they accept simultaneous subs, whether they accept mail or electonic subs, whether they come out in electronig or print form, etc. AND they keep a running record of average response times.

I'm sure that you're not the last one to find out about it although I've seen it recommended on this forum at times. But that kind of thing is easy to miss.

I also use the submission tracker which will even signal when it's been long enough that you might want to follow up on a sub and shows the average return time on the market the sub went to! Good stuff.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 26, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not free. It runs on donations. If you use it, you should support it, otherwise it's people like me paying for the freeloaders.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent in a donation by paypal as soon as I discovered how useful it was going to be. But it is free to starving artists living in garrets.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
If someone can't afford to donate, I don't mind my donation being used for their share. They can be free.

Since Duotrope asks for donations in order to REMAIN free, I think calling it free is accurate. If someone uses it enough to justify a donation, donating is a good thing to do but it is not required.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited December 27, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see not being able to afford a $5 donation at some point during any given year.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

- posted      Profile for KPKilburn   Email KPKilburn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't see not being able to afford a $5 donation at some point during any given year.

So you only donate $5 per year? What if I do only one search for the entire year, yet you do hundreds? Should I donate the same amount as you or should you donate more? If you use it, you should support it or else it's people like me paying for bandwidth hogs.

I'm kidding - $5/year is a great bargain for the service it provides.

[This message has been edited by KPKilburn (edited December 31, 2007).]

Posts: 172 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.