Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Today's Reading Tastes

Author Topic: Today's Reading Tastes
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Nowall said, "My tastes in literature, more and more, fall behind the modern trends... " -- a sentiment I sometimes think I share.
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum30/HTML/000214.html

I hanker for the Golden Age, which I would characterise as hopeful, confident in science and in the abilities of the human race to overcome all challenges, come what may. Some would say it was naive, and maybe it was, but it was fun and inspiring.

How would you characterise today's tastes? To me, today's tastes seem more dysopian, doom-laden, more inclined to revenge than justice.

Are reading tastes a reflection of the times?

Curious,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm thoroughly disillusioned with this "the future is awful" form of science fiction writing---how things get worse and worse and nothing ever gets better. After living some of the coming future for real, I've found it more mixed---some things get worse, but some things improve, and new options always come along. (Whether I take advantage of them is another matter.) However awful things are, there's still hope.

But this, whatchamacallit, dystopian view has been with us since before the beginning of the field. I don't think that's why I stopped reading most of the contemporary stuff---I hardly ever read an SF magazine from cover to cover, and often don't read any of it at all.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
the last real reading test i took was 4 years ago and i was baked out of my mind. i failed it on perpuse yust because i felt like it.

now if they had more interisting stories to read then maybe i would not have failed it on purpuse.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
As I commented in the thread you were talking about, Talespinner, there was almost nothing written that interested me in Science Fiction until the 70s and very little until the 80s and 90s. (In fact, I won't go into how much I dislike much of the early science fiction since it would offend some of you and I don't want to turn it into an argument.)

I will make a couple of comments but as someone who has very limited tastes in Science Fiction.

I think the tendancy toward seeing a dark future may have hurt Science Fiction sales. How much are science fiction sales down now over two decades ago in books? I hear it has decreased more than 50%.

However there is a lot of science fiction out there still that isn't dark. I assume it doesn't fit your taste since you kind of act like it doesn't exist.

I enjoy the Sassinak novels, for instance, when it comes to space opera (not sure that's the right category actually since I consider MOST science fiction to be space opera lol). I'm something of a fan of David Weber and really like some of his novels such as his March Upcountry as well as a number of his other newer novels. I have all the Honor Herrington novels. Maybe I wouldn't put them on my "favorites" lists, but they are novels that I buy, read, and enjoy.

I like science fiction of the character-driven variety such as the great, award winning, Speed of Dark.

And if anything (except for the pressure for everything to be YA) I think fantasy is better than ever.

Edit: However, more and more I dislike all SHORT speculative fiction as it is currently published. To me, that is a separate subject from novels. That has to do with what serial editors want. Somewhere in Hatrack there is a link to an interesting article by Dave Wolverton that touches on that subject.

Here is the article: http://www.sff.net/people/DTruesdale/wolverton1.htp

He discusses the trend toward elitism in speculative short fiction at the end but the entire article is well worth reading.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited January 02, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RaymondT
Member # 7281

- posted      Profile for RaymondT   Email RaymondT         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I prefer to read the uplifting kind of novel in the style of the Golden Age.

In the sci-fi arena specifically, there is a contemporary author I discovered not too long ago who writes awesome sci-fi and that is Peter F. Hamilton. I read Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained. Those are phenomenal stories with multi-layered plotlines that in the end all come together in expected and unexpected ways. It's kind of like Star Wars but taken to a higher, incredible level. Anyway, very worthwile to read.

On the other hand, you have George Orwell's 1984, written in the 40's which is full of doom and gloom and has one of the most depressing endings I ever had anything to do with. It was sci-fi when it was written and I guess still is and sadly a lot of it has come true.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone. Food for thought.

Yes, I too think that dark and elitism have hurt SF sales and wonder why the magazine editors don't see it. It seems so obvious: dark means depressing and we read for enjoyment, mostly. Elite means small audience, self defeating surely for a magazine trying to build circulation.

Thanks for the refs to the McCaffrey and Moon books, they slipped under my radar somehow.

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer well-thought out visions of the future. I suppose that will exclude both utopian and distopian stories. While I do read to enjoy myself, I also read to gain perspective and insight, so dark-themed stories don't necessarily bother me, though they can be difficult to read. Again, for it me has more to do with the purpose and execution of the vision.

Edited to add: Okay, rereading the original post, I realized i didn't actually respond to it.

I think modern stuff does tend to the darker. I think it's a matter of people wanting to twist things in the search for originality. In some ways, its easier to make twists in darker, pessimistic directions.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited January 02, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed that editors and agents have asked not to be sent stories with terrorism themes. That, at least, is a good sign. I wonder with the "feedback delay" is between reader interest trends and changes showing up on the shelves. I'd guess at least three years.

Edit: three years seems short, now that I've posted. A year for booksellers to notice, a half-year for agents to notice, a year and a half for writers to notice and respond and a year and a half for a book to be edited/printed/distributed. 4 1/2 yrs. I've done this with serialization of the process in mind.

[This message has been edited by WouldBe (edited January 02, 2008).]

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I am also a fan of the golden age guys, but in my case it's a lack of time more than anything. I know what I like/have liked in the past. I don't have all that much free time for fiction. I have read a lot of OSC since discovering him about a year ago (which is when I discovered that my kids are old enough for me to get buried in a book on the couch while they play nearby at least occasionally - that was news to me! OSC was the first fiction I had picked up in easily 5+ years.)

So, I feel like my problem is a lack of knowledge of who is out there, and a poor memory for names. People give suggestions, but I get to the bookstore and draw a blank. Plus, with limited time, I don't want to waste the time (or money) on a book that might suck, or one that will be depressing. With two small ones pulling on me it's not like I have the luxury to read all the back covers, first few pages, and all that to pick out a winner. Wish they'd do some kind of "depressing alert!" at the front of a book, wouldn't that be nice? I read for entertainment and enjoyment and seek uplifting optimistic stuff in what I read (and watch, same for me with movies/TV as well.)

Every once in a while I get my act together and write a list of titles others have recommended. Sometimes my library even has them! Though usually that is also an exercise in futility as I hunt through the stacks with two barking seals. They love the library, but not the adult or even the YA section. I bide my time, they'll join me in reading fiction soon enough. Heck, my 6 yr old is getting close already.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

- posted      Profile for KPKilburn   Email KPKilburn         Edit/Delete Post 
Although it seems that it's unpopular, I still enjoy dystopian, dark SF. That seemed to be the theme (at least in movies) during the 80s when I was a teen and I've always enjoyed (the few) stories I've read with the same theme.

That's not to say I don't like other types of stories, but I prefer to envision the future as dystopian - even if not planet-wide. Put a SF element into a story set it in modern-day Baghdad and you have a dystopia.

Posts: 172 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I think an important element of what I, personally, read nowadays is age---my age. I might've loved a lot of this stuff that's out now if I had encountered it between age ten and twenty...but now I'm running into it between forty and fifty and it's not as new or fresh or interesting as it once would have seemed to me, or would seem to somebody encountering this sort of thing for the first time.

Yet the stuff I read then remains with me. The stuff from thrity years ago can't be that different from the stuff published now...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

"In some ways, its easier to make twists in darker, pessimistic directions."

I think that is true, annepin. It makes me ask myself: Are we more cynical now about the abilities of the human race and our science to overcome challanges? Is it harder now to suspend disbelief in optimistic SciFi than it was in the Golden Age? Is this one reason Fantasy is today so much more popular?

Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited January 04, 2008).]

SchamMan89
Member # 5562

- posted      Profile for SchamMan89   Email SchamMan89         Edit/Delete Post 
I think most people right now are pessimistic, and I believe that carries over into writing. I am always thoroughly optimistic with everything in my life, and thus I am often called foolish and naive.

I hate apocalyptic movies, by the way. I don't care how well the story is told, I probably won't like it.

~Chris

Posts: 105 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

quote:
I think most people right now are pessimistic, and I believe that carries over into writing. I am always thoroughly optimistic with everything in my life, and thus I am often called foolish and naive.

I share both those sentiments.

I think general pessimism is one reason fantasy sales exceed SF. Not only does fantasy offer escape from a seemingly-hopeless world, SF for a pessimistic audience is usually dystopian SF (because hope seems naive and readers won't willingly suspend disbelief) and there's surely a limited market for disheartening stories.

Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited January 07, 2008).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.