Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » My First Interview

Author Topic: My First Interview
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little nervous so I thought I'd look for some Hatracker support today. My first interview (about my first book) is tonight at 7 EST (6 CST) here:

http://www.artistfirst.com/

It's an on-line radio program that supports artists and authors.

Anyway, I'm going to be spending a good portion of today practicing some Q&A. Wish me luck!

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
Kudos and all that! I've been interviewed lots of times for newspapers and magazine articles, and even on TV a couple of times (cable shows), mostly about my art (just last week I did a newspaper interview about my art AND my book, YAY!), but I haven't done a radio interview. It can't be that different than a telephone interview for a newspaper or magazine though, so here are my suggestions.

Make sure you're in a very comfortable chair. You might want to have your books close at hand in case you need to look something up (I sit by the computer so I can look things up on my website or in my publicity materials). Have a BIG glass of water close by, and perhaps a throat lousenge (sp?) or a peppermint in case your throat gets dry (tuck the peppermint in your cheek above your upper teeth when you're talking so it doesn't interfere). Think before you speak, but trust yourself. You know your subject (your book, your inspirations, etc.). You're on solid ground. You won't be asked to give your opinion of world events, so you don't need to do any research. Just think about why you do what you do - and realize that ANY answer you give, as long as it's honest, is okay! And the best part - doing a phone interview, you can be in your jammies!! LOL!

Don't eat peanut butter or drink chocolate before the interview - as a former professional singer, I know these things can gum up your pipes at unfortunate times. Don't eat a heavy meal before the interview in case your stomach gets nervous, but also, do have something bland in your stomach so it won't rumble with hunger! (But don't eat during the interview!!! LOL!)

Remember to BREATHE and trust yourself - you do know what you're doing - you've produced a published book, something most people will never manage! So you're an EXPERT! Just be honest and straightforward and you'll be fine.

Hope this helps! Good luck to you! And let us know how it goes (and when we can hear it!)

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Christine! Sounds like things are going well for you (even if it makes you nervous). I certainly hope you knock this interview out of the park. You know your stuff, so I'm sure you will.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need luck! You're going to do just wonderfully. I'll try to tune in, though it'll be 4 p.m. Pacific Standard and I'm not sure how much free time I'll have then. I assume it'll be available in the archives later.

Congrats! This is so exciting!

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Yep. It will be available in the archive after the show and I'll link to it from my web site, too. (www.christineamsden.com)

Lynda: Good point about the food! I have a heavy beef stew simmering in the crock pot right now...better keep mine warm for after. Queasy stomachs are a double worry for me since I'm nervous AND pregnant.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Christine! You'll do great.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Christine. You'll do fine.

I won't say the customary "break a leg", because with my luck you would. Remember, that not just a little bundle of joy you're growing there--it's also the perfect all-purpose excuse .

Best wishes.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! Good luck.
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricia V
Member # 6324

- posted      Profile for Tricia V   Email Tricia V         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!
Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you found something in my ramblings useful, Christine! Hope it all went well!! And happy baby!!!

Lynda

[This message has been edited by Lynda (edited January 07, 2008).]

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

If anyone wants to listen to the archived transcript, you can find it here:

http://66.49.193.35/Authors-First_01-07-08_Christine_Amsden.mp3

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.