Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » have you noticed lately...

Author Topic: have you noticed lately...
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you noticed lately how -- in the movies and tv and sometimes in print fiction -- a scene will lead right up to some big point or big scene and stop rather than go all the way and let the reader experience it?

What I mean...oh, how about DISTURBIA. There at the end when the cops finally arrive. They just arrive and then the scene ends without the moment "I" as audience have been waiting to see. The big moment when the hero gets to show the cops what he found/his mother and explain things and get the thrill of being right.

No. The scene stops before the release of tension that way. It just hops over to days later and a sort of "subtle" denouement.

I'm noticing that more and more even in print fiction. I even (I blush) find myself using that technique to sort of skip over bits that are harder(?) to write? Where it's easy to be trite?

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Leaving a scene at a cliff hanger isn't new. If we are talking about the ending of a chapter, then yes, it can be an encouragement for the reader to keep reading. In TV it is more of a way to get you to sit through the commercials in anticipation for the next bit of the show. While both are meant to encourage you to stick with it, the TV reason is far more financial than the books. Once the book is paid for, it is the goal of the author to have the buyer read it.

Not that new of an idea, but TV tends to make you notice it more when they get more desperate to keep you there for the commercials.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Arriki is talking about a cliffhanger, though. I've noticed it, too. They completely drop the end of a scene--not just make you wait for it. They just don't do it.

Arriki, I believe they do that believing that the end of the scene is obvious. That's my impression, anyway. It is as if they say, "Well, everything that happens after the police arrive will be obvious, so lets just skip it."

I can understand the reason, if that is the reason, but I think it often cheats the reader as you say. I'm sure there are places where it could be used to good effect, but it isn't always in some of the shows I'm remembering.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that what was done at the end of "The Sopranos?"---where they seemed to be building to something about to happen, then the screen went blank, then one-twentieth of the US population that watched HBO that night all screamed and started calling their cable companies to complain about the interruption in service at such a crucial moment...then the credits started rolling? (I didn't see it, I only read and heard about it.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
One place I've seen that used effectively is Lawrence Blosk's "Hitman" books. The main character of those books, Keller, is a hitman, and when he goes on a job, Block will take you right up until he is about to kill the guy, and then skip to after the hit when Keller is talking about how he did it. Block is asking his reader to do a pretty difficult thing: identify with a man who kills people for money, and who is very cold about it, with no moral qualms. Block makes it a little easier for the reader to do that by not making the reader have to "watch" Keller actually murder the people he murders.

Also, if you've never read those books, you really should; they're fantastic.

I agree that it can be, and usually is, a cheat when writers do that. "Disturbia" is a good example. You've been on the edge of your seat for 2 damn hours, you deserve the emotional payoff of actually seeing the hero win, not just knowing that he won.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Yeah, wetwilly, I love Block's hitman books and the burglar books and I agree with you about his stopping short of the actual murders is good. (Have you read Loren Estleman's books about a hit man, too? They're pretty good. Ummm...LITTLE BLACK DRESS and SOMETHING BORROWED, SOMETHING BLACK are the only two I've been able to buy.)

Anyway, you and lehollis got exactly what I meant. It's not that I'm complaining about the technique in general, just about its overuse right now. And how it's being used to skip over moments that I, as audience, have been waiting for. The emotional payoff.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MasterTrek
Member # 7272

- posted      Profile for MasterTrek   Email MasterTrek         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I've noticed that a lot too. They skip the "winding things down/wrapping things up" portion, and go right to the epilouge, so the protagonist doesn't get his time to shine. But idk. I think it would be an effective technique, although I've never read any of the above mentioned books. But it feels a little cheap to me.

[This message has been edited by MasterTrek (edited January 10, 2008).]

Posts: 19 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that short stories do that a lot.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah assumed resolution seems to be a bit of trend. I see it as a mild evolution in how marketers perceive their television audience.
Short stories: I think most short stories I've read have a sort of 'cliffhanger' or assumed ending. Saves words and readers can be expected to have a bit more of a brain-cap on I bet.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

hmmm...thinking on it...The professional writing advice for screenwriters and for us is often to "enter the scene as late as possible and leave it as early as possible." Thatcomes up in several successful writing texts -- Robert McKee's STORY especially comes to mind. This technique can increase tension and pace which may be why it is touted so highly.

"I" think people are taking that idea/technique too far because it IS so easy to skip the big emotional parts of long-awaited moments, as in DISTURBIA.

The advice about leaving early works in many cases...BUT there ARE scenes which the audience WANTS to have finished. The audience (well, this audience, me) wants to wallow in the emotional climax! I feel a big let down when I'm not allowed to witness the rest of the scene.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited January 10, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited January 10, 2008).]

rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
One line of thought is that you leave it to the audience's imagination, let them fill in the blanks. They will want to see the show again to see if there was some clues they missed that might tell them the right ending.
Part of this kind of thought is that whatever ending you choose is going to disappoint people. "That is not how I would have ended it!" Instead, leave the ending open, frustrating, wanting for more. again, they might be willing to see the show again to see missed clues to see that their expected ending was right.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Ah, but you here are talking only about the big bang climax ending? Not the little everyday middle of the novel scene endings?

I think leaving the big bang ending unfinished makes me dislike the book. Rereading it will never give me what I missed in that unfinished ending because it is not a matter of information but of emotion.

Hmmm...it's probably a matter of artistic sense. I can think of big bang endings that might work. When the climax is a single shot killing the bad guy. Yeah. Maybe. Even probably. But when what I'm looking to participate in is the emotional bang of being proved right, of showing the whomever or whatever that the hero IS right. That sort of climax, then cutting it will never satisfy me and no amount of re-viewing or rereading will either. It'll make me angry and possibly avoid stories coming from the same source.

I wonder how many other people feel the same way. How many like always being cheated out of the emotional climax?

Well, I kind of slanted that last question my way.

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
[Edited to say that arriki got that last post in while I was composing this. Pardon anything that might sound like I hadn't read it, since I hadn't.]

I don't think lack of resolution is what arriki was talking about. Resolution comes, not from tying up the plot elements, but from tying up the story package. Of course, it's become common to leave loads of plot threads dangling. (And I don't mean just a few, which is good for showing that the story takes place in a larger continuum--it didn't come from nowhere, and the world goes on after. No, I mean you're left with the feeling of "what happened?" and even "why did I read this?") But in most of those cases, that happens when the climax isn't quite yet in sight. It doesn't skip over the OBVIOUS climax. As arriki said:

quote:
No. The scene stops before the release of tension that way. It just hops over to days later and a sort of "subtle" denouement.

I don't think that what Block does is exactly what arriki was talking about, either. There, the end of a SCENE is skipped, because what happens is obvious AND the reader doesn't really want to have to go through it. The problem--at least in the cases that caused the initial reaction--comes from cases where the CLIMAX is skipped.

And arriki's initial guess is also exactly why it's done. It IS harder to write. It IS liable to sound trite, and if it does, it's a big letdown. Leaving it out will be a letdown, too, but at least it won't be trite. So why not leave it out, when people can figure it out anyway?

I'll tell you why. That's a form a cowardice. "I'm afraid I won't be able to tell this effectively enough, so I won't. They'll get it anyway." Bad choice.

The thing to do is to tell it as well as you can. If you're not satisfied, keep working on it until it gets better. Reach deep. The results will be worth it.

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited January 11, 2008).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good analysis, rickfisher, thought-provoking.

Thanks.
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Resolution may be implied by such endings, but I suspect that what is actually missing is something Algis Budrys called "validation."

As an example, consider watching the first STAR WARS movie without the award ceremony at the end. You know they destroyed the Death Star and they survived (though this is some question about R2D2), so Lucas could have ended the movie without the big "validation" scene of the award ceremony. Same for the end of the RETURN OF THE JEDI. The partying at the end wasn't actually necessary for the plot, but it validated and paid off the audience involvement in the story.

Validation is probably being left off movies and stories because, as Rick said, it's hard to do well and people may be afraid to hassle with it, and it can seem rather cheesy if they do. But audiences/readers will feel cheated without something like that (a kiss or a wedding scene, for example, at the end of a romance; someone riding off into the sunset at the end of an adventure; the murderer being taken into custody at the end of a mystery; and so on).

Yes, it can be cliche and trite, and extremely difficult to do in a new and fresh way, but audiences/readers will thank you if you find a way to do it. We view/read in part for the satisfaction that final scene gives us. It just feels good.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I don't know, Kathleen. I think even the resolution is frequently omitted, especially in short stories. It seems to be acceptable to leave off both the start and the end and tell the reader to figure it out--if you are a well-known writer. I think a good example of leaving off the resolution as well as the validation (and mind you I LIKE this short story) is Theodora Goss's Pip and the Fairies. I think you can safely say this was a successful short story, but if there is a resolution or validation in there, I sure don't see it.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
One of the writing books I read recently used a term I hadn't heard before called "Falling Action" to denote the events that happen after the climax/plot resolution (either within a scene or of the whole story.) I find that term a useful one to think of when I'm writing the "and then they went on to lead happy, successful lives" types of bits at the end of a story (Yes, I prefer to write optimistic stuff, I know that's not a universal preference...)

I have a tangent/sideline to this that I wanted to complain about. I think it's related, let me try. I am a fan of the TV show House. I like the actor, the medical drama stuff is interesting, the dialogue is snappy, etc. There are problems with it, but I watch very little TV and this show is enjoyable to me (Battlestar Gallactica is the only other current show I watch, if you must know. LOL)

So, the thing that has been bugging me about House, and it's lit up for me a problem with visual media in general (so I hope I learn some kind of writing lesson from this...) is that in the show, which is quite formulaic, we have no way to get into the MC's head to see how he's thinking through something.

Backing up to explain - Dr. House is a cranky but brilliant diagnostician who each show handles a single medical case that is a puzzle. Typically he and his medical team formulate theories on what's wrong with a patient, then bad things happen or the patient crashes or new symptoms emerge and the team is proven wrong over and over. Eventually, House has a "moment" (almost always on film) where he makes some connections and puts the puzzle together. From here we are usually brough to some kind of climactic scene - often with House bursting into the surgical room to halt the surgery or some such. A little over the top after a while, but again - in spite of its flaws I find it an entertaining piece of television. Helps that the actor who plays House is very charismatic.

ANYWAY - my beef is this. We never see the MC's thought processes to see HOW he put the puzzle together. In those dramatic surgery-interruption scenes he does often explain a little bit of it, but by then he's self-confident and cocky and it often comes out as a bit of "as you know, Bob." What I feel frustrating is that there is no view into the head of the MC in tv/film. So, I have this pet peeve about his "moment of clarity" and wishing there were some way to convey the thoughts/feelings of the character during those aha processes (or, in the moments that lead to all the pieces fitting together.)

I think it's related to this topic in that again it feels like the audience is getting cheated out of something important here - the puzzle and it's explanation are the thing that makes this show unique, though it's also a formula that is repeated in crime dramas and other styles I suppose. But, since the puzzle is so central, I feel very cheated. I always turn to my husband when those "aha" moments are shown and say "OK, he's figured it out, has something to do with the hot coffee he's staring at somehow, but I have no idea."

Sorry to thread-jack, but I find this whole topic interesting - the contract with the audience, and how it seems to differ (or the rules are more bendable, perhaps?) between visual media and written.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

You pretty much put your finger on why I tend to dismiss parallels between visual media and writing. I'm not sure if the contract is different or simply more flexible, but you can get away with things in visual that would never work in written. Or that's my opinion anyway.

I'm not sure what the thing with being able to leave off the resolution is. I am fairly sure that I couldn't get away with it, either because I'm not good enough--very possible--or not well known enough--which you can bet on. But it's something I see done all the time.

arriki
Member # 3079

IS it done more in short fiction?

And, yes, just imagine STAR WARS, the first, without the award ceremony. It wouldn't be near as satisfying a movie for me.
Did Rowling ever fail to give the afterwards emotional validation in her books?

What ARE the problems with these validation scenes? Why are they so difficult to write?

How do you figure out -- aside from the after the climax one -- which scenes really need them? I guess it must hinge on some additional emotional content of the scene?

JeanneT
Member # 5709

It seems to be done more in shorts to me... but that's just the ones I've read and noticed.
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think others have already hit on it--validation scenes are tricky because they can often feel cliche or maudlin. You also have to give the triumph or success or whatever a context--now they've defeated the evil empire, now what? How does life continue? It can feel anticlimatic, or like regular ol' life rearing up its dull head again.

On the other hand, a well done validation scene really puts the whole book in perspective. This is why I like the scouring of the shire chapter so much in JRRT (and why I was so upset that they'd taken it out of the movie!). To me, it is a validation scene because it brings everything the hobbits have learned back home to the Shire.

As for the question of when to put them in- you have to use your instinct. Read though your piece and make sure it feels complete. Have others read and see if they feel satisfied by it.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
In my novel I just finished (and sent out into the cold, hard world to await either validation or a crushing blow to my soul), when I had my select handful of readers read my first draft, without fail they each said they loved the story but hated the ending. A lot. They all said, "I wanted to know what happens next and it wasn't there." I couldn't figure out why because I was pretty sure I had tied up all the loose threads. Certainly the main conflict was resolved, and all the little sub-stuff had been resolved as well. In fact, I had been worried that everything was tied up TOO neatly. But, rather than saying I told them too much about how everybody lives happily ever after, they all said I hadn't told them enough! What did they want, a chapter about going to work every day and changing the baby's diapers now that my heroes had won?

I realized that it wasn't that I wasn't giving them enough information, it was that I wasn't giving them enough of an emotional payoff. I think it was important to show my heroes finally getting a chance to relax after they just went through a giant crapload of trouble and misery. So I wrote THAT ending, and I think it ended up being much more satisfying. I felt better about it, and my readers liked it a lot more. The thing was, the new ending was actually a lot messier than the first one, with a lot more unresolved plot points and unanswered questions.

My point is not just to brag about my book, but to say that a satisfying ending doesn't necessarily have to tie up all the plot points and answer all the questions, but it does have to deliver the emotional payoff that the reader has been looking for since page one. In the case of my story, that emotional payoff was a matter of letting the reader see my characters finally get comfortable for a minute before typing THE END.

Now, hopefully the people who hand out 6-figure advances will be as satisfied with it as I was.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

I agree, wetwilly, the concept of validation is a powerful one, and one I didn't even really have a word for until Kathleen brought it up (thank you!). I was trying to explain it as "completion" to a friend who's manuscript I'd just read. She'd ended her story right at the moment of triumph and I remember turning the page and thinking, but but what about...? She argued the main plot was over and done with, the climax had happened. I struggled to tell her it just didn't _feel_ complete to me.

Now I see validations are needed elsewhere in the story as well. In my WIP, there's a pretty major love story that's essential to the main plot. I'd hooked up my characters, but skipped the (what I'd considered) boring and gratuitous uniting. After completed and reread it, I realized I had to write that scene. It was so hard, but once I got started, I saw how important it was to the sense of completion, and how everything about what the characters had gone through to get to that point, and what they'd struggled with in each other, naturally emerged and become focused in that moment. Man, I felt good after!

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

I was thinking about "validation." Yes, that's what completed the STAR WARS movie.

BUT...the business at the end of DISTURBIA with removing the anklet early and all...that was the validation of the hero's actions.

What was missing then...wasn't the validation? That there is something besides that. The emotional something or other of the climax. That the real climax is not the moment the police arrive but the missing section when the audience sees their interaction with the hero? The emotional climax? Is there a term for what's missing there since it isn't really the validation.

arriki
Member # 3079

Come on, help me out guys.

If validation isn't what was missing there in DISTURBIA, what was it there in the big scene as the cops arrive and cut...we don't get to see the hero show them he's right?

It's as if the writers understood they needed a validation and did it exactly like STAR WARS did. A cut and pick up with the validation scene as the truant officer takes off the hero's anklet. But, after seeing Luke's missle heading straight for the opening, we miss watching the Death Star explode and the surviving fighter ships hurray the event as they head home -- ?????

annepin
Member # 5952

I'd love to help but I haven't seen the movie! It sounds like a concept that I'd call "follow-through." They've set up the climax, carried it out, perhaps, but didn't see it through. They didn't give the "hooray for our side!" moment. Maybe?
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Not having seen DISTURBIA, I can't really guess what's missing, but I believe the term for everything that comes after the climax and resolution (falling action, validations, etc) is "denouement."

So whatever it is that is missing that makes the ending unsatisfactory, call it what you will, at the very least can be a lesson to writers.

If I remember correctly, someone once pointed out in another discussion somewhere, that all the fiction in THE NEW YORKER left off the ending as well. Maybe it's just a literary "conceit" (as in a trick writers play on their readers to make the readers feel stupid and the writers feel smart).

Lesson: if you don't enjoy stories like that, don't write them like that. And don't send your stories to THE NEW YORKER.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd call it the climax, arriki. And it IS left out, as well as everything that follows, in NEW YORKER stories. But in a lot of other stories (or at least, in a number), the climactic SCENE is left out, even though the story goes on to let you know that that, yeah, what you expected happened all right. The PLOT is tied up (which the NEW YORKER doesn't), and there may be VALIDATION even, but the story has a hole. It's as if the last thirty seconds of a televised close football game (which of course takes a lot longer than 30 seconds in real time) was cut, and the announcers came on and just analyzed the game. People don't watch football because they want to know who won (well . . . a number of people, me included, don't watch football at all. So why did I even pick it as an example? Beats me), they watch it to experience it. My previous post was addressed to this issue, which I believe is the one arriki raised.

I haven't seen DISTURBIA either, though, so I can't comment specifically on it. I'll mention an older movie that flirts with this--and I think successfully, but it's a close call: North by Northwest. The bad guys are killed and captured, the cavalry (so to speak) has arrived, but Eva Marie Saint is still dangling from the face of Mt. Rushmore's George Washington, with Cary Grant reaching down trying to grasp her hand--and we never see him get it. We don't see her get off the mountain. Instead, the scene cuts--very smoothly, you don't even realize it at first--to the train they're on after getting married, and he's reaching down to grasp her hand to pull her up into the top fold-out bed in the sleeper compartment. It's cool, it's clever, it even makes you laugh a little with surprise after the tension just before it--but it's somehow disappointing, also. Everything is there: the plot threads are tied up, and the validation, while short, is in place, but the MOMENT of saving her life is missing.

Maybe it can be done like this ONCE.

I also like the word "validation," by the way. It's what I referred to in my previous post as "tying up the story package" as opposed to tying up the plot. "Validation" is much neater.

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited January 13, 2008).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Hmmm...I think there is something besides validation here. I was going through some of my books of writing and came across a term -- the "payoff of a scene."

Validation -- payoff. Seeing Cary Grant rescue her would be the payoff. Seeing the Death Star blow up is the payoff with the validation coming in the form of the big ceremony.

But not all scenes need/deserve a payoff part. What I'm struggling with now is when does a payoff need to be included to fully satisfy the reader? The big end climax, probably. Maybe most big important scenes? Even if the reader jolly well does know what happens, he wants to "see" it happen!

What are the differences: denouement, validation, payoff?

baduizt
Member # 5804

- posted      Profile for baduizt   Email baduizt         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there are three reasons they might cut out the denouement.

1) Is that really the denouement? I mean, is the important thing that Shia LaBeouf was right, or was it that he overcome the baddy? Maybe they wanted to simplify the message, so the emphasis was on defeating the bad guy. Because the flipside of the coin is that we focus on Shia being right, and then detract from the explosive climax of him defeating the bad guy. It might be something of an anti-climax. So that's worth thinking about.

2) Some things can be imagined better when they're not shown. The alien was more terrifying in Alien when we didn't see it, compared to the monsters in AvP, which parade around in front of us and look . . . well, less real even than a man in a suit from 1979. Obviously, this might not apply to Disturbia, as I don't think this is what is happening.

3) Producers cut a hell of a lot to fit films into a specific time frame. They get anxious about films going on for much longer than 90 mins. It's worth seeing if the scene was ever shot, as it may have been cut not by the director but by the producer. To return to the Alien Trilogy (let's pretend Whedon never existed :S), if you compare Alien 3's theatrical cut with the assembly cut, the latter makes so much more sense, the characters are more rounded and interesting, and the conflict is heightened emotionally.

Of course, they may not have had time to film the scene, or the budget. Hence why Tank Girl has so many comic strip/animated sequences.

Anyway . . .

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
You know this conversation became all the more valid for me when I watched Eastern Promises.

SPOILER ALERT

They skipped the big arrest and actual conclusion. They built up toward an arrest, and the movie centered around the unexpected evidence that would come to facilitate the arrest, but toatally skipped the closure of seeing that smug look disappear from the main antagonist's face. At some point--when I could predict everything else--that was what I was sitting through the conclusion for.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Yeah, that's what it is that's missing -- getting to SEE, to WITNESS the big moment.

Of course I can imagine it. But I'm watching a movie, reading a book or whatever and I paid my money to see the whole thing, not imagine it for myself.

I will admit that some things, it's okay. But the moment that I've sat through the rest of the story for...no, darn it. Show me! And it's not the validation, it's the moment the smug look goes off someone's face. The moment the cops' mouths drop open as they see the dead girl in the wall. The explosion as the Death Star explodes and the heroes high-five each other as they fly back home.

smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Asimov is a particularily egregious offender when it comes to skipping the big moment.
Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

Hmm . . . I can think of maybe a couple of early stories in the Foundation sequence where Asimov did that, but not elsewhere. Can you give examples?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.