Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Is there a Literary companion of Hatrack?

Author Topic: Is there a Literary companion of Hatrack?
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all:

I have found myself just as drawn to literary/mainstream and poetry as to SF/F/H. In fact, of the several pieces that I've had critted here, there are often comments that my stories are mainstream with an afterthought of SF. So, with that said, I was wondering if any of you knew of an online workshop that focused on literary writing and poetry?

Don't worry, I'm not leaving y'all, but I also want to get some other perspectives on that portion of my writing, so that when I do post here, it's actually SF/F/H.

Thanks in advance,

T2

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricia V
Member # 6324

- posted      Profile for Tricia V   Email Tricia V         Edit/Delete Post 
I do more literary writing. While this community skews heavily toward SF/F, the main purpose is to encourage people in their efforts to become published authors.

P.S. What does H stand for?

[This message has been edited by Tricia V (edited January 15, 2008).]

Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

Sorry. I was using the Critter's abbreviations of Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror. Some of the stuff here flurts with horror as well, though most of it is firmly in the SF/F realm.

I guess I'm specifically looking for critiques of my attempts at poetry and prose poems. I wrote what I thought was going to be a short story, and it ended up a prose poem, and I would love to get some feedback on it, but didn't know if this was the place. Guess it's worth a try.

Thanks for the reality check, Tricia V.

T2

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Thane, Have you joined Liberty Hall, yet? They have an area for poetry. Mike (Whose Liberty Hall is) is a published poet. I'm sure he'd welcome others. Check it out.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found there are _so_ many resources for literary writers. I don't know that there's an exact equivalent to Hatrack, but if you poke around on google and other writing sites I'm sure you'll come across them

Writing literary stiff, you'll find it much easier to find and join a (gasp!) in-person writing group, if that interests you.

I know I was incredibly frustrated--still am--trying to find a genre group to join.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Or...

... you could see if there is anyone here on Hatrack (and I'm betting that there are several people) who would be willing to give you feedback on stuff that isn't SF/F/H.

I don't think of this place as strictly for speculative fiction and its various forms. I think of it as a place for writers of any kind.

If you want feedback on poetry, tell us a little about the poetry and ask for volunteers. You really can't post samples without risking your electronic rights, but you can certainly describe what you've got and see if anyone will read and critique for you.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

Kathleen:

Uh-oh. I posted what amounted to a first 13 on the Short Story tab. This only comprises about 25% of the piece. Have I still risked my rights? I was under the impression that as long as it was a WIP, and that less than half was posted, that it was still OK. How is this different than posting a first 13 of a 500 word short story?

Please advise...

wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Igwiz,
I dabble in poetry myself. I'll gladly crit some of yours.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Igwiz, I've checked it and it is down to 13 lines, so you should be okay.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.