Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Lessons from AMERICAN IDOL

Author Topic: Lessons from AMERICAN IDOL
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never really watched this "reality" show, except for a few moments now and then while channel-surfing, but I decided to sit through the beginning four hours the last two nights, and I can see some strong correlations with writing and submitting to editors.

Anyone want to guess what I saw, or shall I go on?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I confess to having seen this show. Here's my guess on what you saw. There's craft, and there's art. Being a technically excellent singer won't get you past Simon (though you might clear Paula and Jordan). Style and pizazz, on the other hand, go a long way.

The other thing I can think of is confidence. Confidence really shows, whether it's in writing or in singing.

I guess you also have to hook the judges (or editors) in the first few seconds, or they'll probably stop you.

On a lesser note, there's a sense of building up to something. You can't just sing a song flat out--you have to let it build, teasing it out from the beginning to a climax and a strong finish. Same with writing--you have to give your scene or chapter or story room to grow and develop. If you start out on the wrong foot, or start out forte, you'll get no crescendo.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited January 17, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Good guess, annepin, and those are things writers can learn from AMERICAN IDOL.

But I was thinking more from an editor's point of view. It seemed to me that the main purpose of showing the auditions for two hours a night, several nights (Philadelphia the first night, Dallas the second night, I understand it will be San Diego the third night, and who knows how many more nights and cities they will show), is to show Simon, Paula, and Randy interacting with the applicants.

So the judges (editors) are the "stars," more or less, of the first part/phase of AMERICAN IDOL, right?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krista
Member # 7738

- posted      Profile for Krista   Email Krista         Edit/Delete Post 
What I see when I watch the audition parts of American Idol are the judges (editors) wading through the slush pile of singers {manuscripts) looking for that piece of talent that has the potential to make their production company the most money. In fact, I think Simon has specifically said he's looking for the most marketable talent.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

For those of you who have seen the four hours I'm talking about, consider the woman (who was not badly treated by any of the judges) who used up her time before the camera after her audition to express herself vulgarly at Simon.

Care to guess how many editors receive mail that is analoguous to that after they've sent a story back with a standard rejection letter?

And the STAR WARS fan who sobbed into her cell phone that AMERICAN IDOL needs something different, and the judges aren't letting that happen.

Again, care to guess how many such letters editors get, or how many writers complain to their friends in such ways after they've been rejected?

I saw Paula and Randy covering their faces as they laughed at one applicant's singing (so Simon isn't the only one who can be unkind). I saw all three of them (including Simon), at one time or another, offer constructive feedback, even to those they rejected. And I saw some people thank them (and, I hope, learn from the feedback) and others leave in tears.

I also saw enough people who had been told by their friends and relatives that they could sing, who really couldn't--either they couldn't carry a tune, or they had no rhythm, or they were trying to sing something that wasn't right for them, and so on--who got up there and tried to sing anyway.

And it all sounded so familiar to me from my experiences working with writers and those who aspire to write.

If you haven't watched AMERICAN IDOL before, I would like to recommend that you at least tune in to the San Diego segment next week, just to get an idea of how reading a slush pile might be for an editor.

The similarities just boggle my mind, and I expect that as the show progresses, and the contestants try to win the votes of the American public, the similarities will continue.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Cross-posted with you, Krista.

Did you notice how the judges told a couple of people that while they could sing, their singing weren't right for AMERICAN IDOL? That sounds so familiar too.

Krista
Member # 7738

- posted      Profile for Krista   Email Krista         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes. Some people auditioning for American Idol were the equivalent of writers sending their edgy cyberpunk horror story to Better Homes and Gardens.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
This all falls back to one of my early realizations about the industry (both American Idol and otherwise). With a little bit of talent, research, and diligence, you can rise above the 90% of slush. But how do you distinguish yourself in the top 10%? The competition becomes exponentially fiercer as the percentile drops.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Practice? (I am guessing that as the contestants go through the process, they learn how to "market" themselves.)

One other thing in the audition process that I found similar to the experience editors have with slush piles is that, after sitting through singer after singer who couldn't sing, when the judges heard someone who could at least carry a tune, they were actually happy about it and willing to encourage the singer.

Writers tend to think about submitting stories as a kind of crap shoot, but when editors look at the piles of manuscripts they have to get through, they almost pray that MAYBE there'll be JUST ONE in all of those piles that they can use.

wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally see the correlation with Idol and writing. In fact, I watch for that very reason. Watching audition after audition with with so many different ranges of skill and natural talent is facinating to me.

What about the girl (I can't remember where) who sang two songs in the style of Britany Spears and Carrie Underwood, and they sounded great, but then the judges said, " I want to hear YOU."

I think writers fall into that sometimes. We mimic what has worked for others, but that will only get you so far. We HAVE to find our own voice.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Amen, wrenbird.

Who'd'a thunk that something like AMERICAN IDOL could be such a source of insight?

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I've watched American Idol every year since Season Two (missed Season One because I turned my nose up at "reality" tv.) You are correct in stating the judges are the stars of the first half of the season, during the audition and thinning of contestants phase. But once they select the final 10, it is a matter of watching the contestants grow every week in skill and poise. Someone you could swear would be a finalist might choke early on. It's not enough to have raw talent. You need to be able to harness your talent, bring a unique voice to the moment, have poise, and most of all, have perseverance. They say that if you can't handle the harsh (some say 'mean') comments of the judges, you'll be eaten alive in the industry. I think the comparison to writing is spot-on... in fact, I'd venture a guess this is what ALL creative careers are like.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited January 18, 2008).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
This parallel has been made in years past and it's as valid as ever. One thing nobody mentioned yet is this. Often, when a candidate is not quite ready, one of the judges will encourage them to try again next year. Heinlein's rule in action.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Another parallel I see between American Idol and the writing process is the artist who is confident beyond his/her skill level, and is crushed when given honest, constructive critique. The good ones, the ones who win, are grateful for the comments, use the observations to hone their performance, and end up the stronger for it.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

I love it when I can share ideas like this and have others see what I see.

Thanks, y'all. You are great, and it's a pleasure to know you.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that all editors would give a little bit of constructive criticism with their rejections. Oh, that we could all say with confidence that a form rejection means that our story, well, sucks. Oh, that more editors would quite saying, 'I liked it, but...' and start saying, 'I love it! Here's your check!'

One of the best rejections I received was from Chris Cevasco at Paradox. He sent a form with the reasons checked why he didn't buy the story, and a few comments that said why he almost did. With those comments I was able to do some minor editing and make it a stronger story--which was again rejected by another market, but only because the market changed their word length limit AFTER I'd sent the story to them. *sigh*

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury………… you know what, forget it.

Look at me; I’m turning into Shylock.

In the end American Idol has about as much to do with writing, as getting a traffic ticket that you intend to fight. The connection’s there, you’ve just got to look for it. You see the motorcycle cop with his smarmy, condescending attitude that you can see, even through the traditional cop sunglasses, is the slush-pile reader. Way too much power for someone who, if they had any talent of judgment at all, wouldn’t be a slush-pile reader, at least not for very long. It’s kind of like asking a $7 an hour employee at Bestbuy a technical electronics question. Hello! If they knew anything would they be working at Bestbuy? Now the judge is the editor. Don’t care what you say or how long you take to say it… or how many graphs and illustrations you use, 99.9999% of everyone is GUILTY and fined, now GET OUT.

See.

Tracy.

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I have found it to have many correlation to writing since the first time it was on. The part I really like is when it gets down to the final 6 contestants and each begins to figure out that they could win. By then, there are prefessional singers that have coached them a bit and the kids really start to shine. You can tell when each one of them really starts to understand, unwind and strive for their goals.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
99.9% are guilty and the rest are strippers. *snorts*
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched one season of Idol (don’t remember which, they’re basically all the same). I agree that it’s all about the judges. I don’t think many people tuning in for the brilliant singing… they mainly want to hear Paula’s vapid platitudes and Simon’s nasty quips. Nobody likes to be judged, but watching someone else be judged is great fun. That’s similar to the writing process. We’re continually asking our peers, publishers, editors and the general public to judge our art. Unlike the Idol winners, hopefully we get more than 15 seconds fame (the world has sped up since Andy's time)

Jeff.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.