Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Waiting time

Author Topic: Waiting time
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
What is a reasonable time to wait to hear back from an agent before you give up and query someone else?

I sent off the query, with letter and three chapter as requested, some time in November last year and am still waiting. I'm wondering if I should give up on expecting to hear back, a yes or a no, and query another agent.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on the agent and if the three chapters were requested after the query or just as part of the query package. Sorry. Generally though don't give up most agents do respond even if it is just the infamous form letter.

The agent's website might give you an idea of "normal" turn around times on first queries. Three months or so is probably a reasonable time frame but don't assume the agent won't respond. He or she may not have gotten to it yet. I've heard back as many as 6 months later on cold queries.

If the agent requested the chapters, I would give the agent some more time probably until mid-February. But that's me. As long as the agent didn't request an exclusive, in which case he/she should have set the time limit, you are free to query elsewhere.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
Word to the wise. Query multiple agents at once. No agent is going to expect an exclusive query. Query them in bunches. If you get feedback great, keep working, but don't ping them on at a time. It's generally understood that you'll be querying multiple agents at once. Good luck.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
If the agent requested three chapters, then you've gone beyond query.

After three months, though, you can call the agent's office to check that your chapters actually arrived. If they did (and someone should be able to tell you that), you can ask about their status.

You will probably be told that they are still under consideration, and then you can ask if they have any idea how soon they'll know whether they will want to see the complete manuscript.

If they don't have any idea, thank them and then check back in another three months.

If they never received your three chapters, tell them that you'll send them again right away.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

I'm a bit confused. I query agents subject to their guidelines. If they ask for cover letter, synopsis and three chapters, that's what I send them. Now, does this count as being more than a query, even though they have not requested the material, or is ok to send out more than one of these types of query at a time?

I always understood if I am sending out actual material from the novel, then I can only submit one at a time. Where as, if I'm only sending out query letter and no novel chapters, I can send out as many letters as I like at one time. Am I correct in my thinking, or have I been doing it wrong?

And as I haven't heard back from this particular agent, do I now have to wait before I can submit to another.

I need to check the details of the agent I am waiting to hear from on their website to see if they have a particular waiting time.

quote:
No agent is going to expect an exclusive query.

Actually, I have come across two that did expect exactly that.

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited January 24, 2008).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
A novel query is not asking for guidelines. It is a one page letter describing your book (i.e., genre, approximate length, age group, the fact that you've finished it, and a couple of paragraphs about the story), as well as any writing credits you have or anything else that makes you qualified to write this particular book. You might also want to include something to show that you've done you're homework, for example, if this agency publishes other authors whose style is similar to yours you might mention that. At the end you can ask them if they'd like to see more material. You can send as many of these out as you want.

If any respond asking for more material, send what they ask for. It is now "requested material" and not a query (even though it's only an outline and three chapters). Put "Requested material" right on the envelope. You're only going to want to send one of these at a time.

When their guidelines say to send three chapters off the bat, and that they want an exclusive query, I'd still just send the letter. If anyone says they want that to be exclusive, ignore them. But if they say they'll take the three chapters and it's NOT exclusive, you might want to do that (a good first three chapters is easier to write than a good query letter), though it will probably take longer to come back that way. (I once had such a package come back to me after 5 years! The agent recommended I run the book through a particular "book doctor" editing service, and had the first page "fixed" as an example. Some of the fixes were grammatically incorrect. Of course, you should NEVER work with an agent who recommends a particular editing service. Also, never work with an agent who takes five years to respond!)

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited January 24, 2008).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

All the agents I query, apart from maybe a couple, ask for query letter, outline and first three chapters right off the bat, which is what I always send them. Only a couple have asked for exlusivity, which they got. Both, thankfull, responded with a few weeks.

So, am I to take it then, that I can send out as many of these types of queries as I like at the same time, as long as they have not asked for exclusivity?

darklight
Member # 5213

To respond to the comment of agents recommending an editing service, and then to say the agent has recommended them, I agree. It just seems to be a way to drum up business and I bet the agent gets a commision if you to tell the editing service they were recommended by the agent.

Anyhow, isn't the publisher supposed to employ the editor? Maybe I heard that wrong.

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited January 24, 2008).]

JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
If an agent's standard "send me your query" guidelines say send a query + synopsis + chapters, etc...it's still essentially a query package. If they want an exclusive at the stage, regardless of what their guidelines are, don't waste your time. And if they recommend an editorial service, especially one they are somehow affiliated with, run.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that editors consider any part of a novel a submission and they expect you to only send it to one editor at a time.

Agents may be different and willing to look at what is called a "simultaneous submission" (text from your manuscript going to more than one place at the same time).

Those agents who require exclusivity are not different from the above editors, and unless they give you a time frame for their response, they are being unfair to you to expect you to query them right off the bat with any part of your novel.

I fully support JamieFord's advice to avoid such agents. If a query letter alone isn't good enough to tell them whether they want to see your work, they can keep you from sending it to someone who really does want to see more.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
My assumption, and I think it is fairly standard in the industry, is that if I enclude chapters with a query to an agent, it is only a writing sample. I am still making a query until they request something.

Even then, most will say if they want an exclusive. I have had an agent say he wanted an exclusive look at a ms. When I told him that another agent was already looking at it and asked if he wanted to look at it anyway, he said that he did. I have heard of agents turning down looking at a full ms. if they can't get an exclusive though.

Submitting to agents and submitting to publishers goes under quite a different set of rules. Remember, they're not offering to BUY it, only sell it for you for a cut of the take.

Many agents do not respond to queries unless they are interested. So I certainly wouldn't wait around whether you included chapters or not.

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.