Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » printer problem

Author Topic: printer problem
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to print out using WORD instead of my old trusty WordPerfect.

The printer is a Canon ip1700. I have the WORD courier font in 12 point.

The problem is that I can't get it to print out very dark. It looks like what used to be draft darkness.

Am I being paranoid about the quality of the ink darkness?
Is there any way to darken the print quality using WORD?
I've already gone in to "Properties" and selected "high."

When I print off the internet and from here the text is nice and black. Not in courier, though. Is the font the problem?

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited January 27, 2008).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, changing the printer properties to "high" should have done the trick. If you open up the printer controller you might be able to change the dpi.

I've noticed in general Courier is a rather skinny, faint font. The only other thing I can think of is that you might have to change the toner cartridge, or clean the machine. The word-processing program itself shouldn't make a difference.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried making everything bold?

Use ctrl-A to select all, then go up to the top and click on the B just a bit to the right of the middle. Then print out a sample and see if that's any better.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't use Courier New. Use Courier 10 BT. It's practically identical, but comes out looking like a real typewriter with a nice new ribbon instead of pale like Courier New.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you need a new ink-cartridge?
Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

No. Unfortunately it's not lack of ink.

I tried turning it all to bold. The text looks kind of strange that way. Not nearly as clear as the nonbold courier 12.

I'm wondering how critical it will be, the slighter darkness of the text. Will that be a good reason to reject the story before even a sentence is read?

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I repeat: Use Courier 10 BT.

Honestly, it's exactly what you want. (The 10 doesn't refer to the font size; it's just part of the name. You can still have font size 12 when using Courier 10 BT.) It doesn't look much different at all on the screen, but it makes a world of difference when you print it out.

Try it. You'll like it.

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited January 29, 2008).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it cause you any problems reading it? If not, then it's probably fine. But if it causes problems, then you're just giving the editor another reason to dump it.
Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

rickfisher -- the only courier font my wordprocessor/printer has is "courier new". No courier BT option. And that is using the (ugh) WORD word processor.
rickfisher
Member # 1214

Really? I've always had it on my computers--thought it was standard. Maybe WordPerfect put it there.

I'll email it to you.

arriki
Member # 3079

This was the one time I used Microsoft Word rather than WordPerfect 5.1.

5.1 is the ONLY wp that never messed up for me. But it's getting hard to find printers that still use a cable instead of a USB port.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.