Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Favourite Words?

Author Topic: Favourite Words?
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wondered if anyone else has favourite words. If I have half a chance I will use words such as:

Murky
Tentatively (adverb, I know)
Erupted
Murmured
Glance (Oh how I love glance, it has a built in turn in it as well as looking)

etc...

I'll add to my list when I think of more. But these word surface with higher than average frequency, and I get a little frisson of pleasure if I feel it is a legitimate use of the word.

So, lists please...If I see something on someone else's list I also love to use I will add it to my list.

Why do I want to know this? Not sure...

EDITED TO ADD:

Sneer...I under-use that, but will now put it on my to-do list.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited January 28, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if these are my favorites, but I find I use these often. Probably too often--they've become cliche for me, the first action that I reach for.

Glance is good...
Slip (people are slipping out of doors, slipping into chairs, slipping a weapon into their hands...)
Search--eyes searching, fingers searching, searching for meaning, blah blah.
Seep--strength, blood, courage, what have you.
Grip
Ache
Snort
Catch--catching wind, catching on, catching someone's hand
The--man, I seem to use this word everywhere!

quote:
Why do I want to know this? Not sure...

Pah! Like we need a reason!

Added:
Sneer (i've got a lot of sarcastic and mean characters, I guess)

Oh yeah, also, for a few months I was really in love with the word "occluded" and tried to slip it in everywhere. Sadly, it only survived once, and even that instance got vehemently challenged by my writing group.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited January 28, 2008).]

More adds:
Perhaps
Surely

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KStar
Member # 4968

- posted      Profile for KStar           Edit/Delete Post 
LEAST favorite:

'plump'. I can't stand the word 'plump' and I would never use it. It's the worst word I can think of. The word 'cycle' bothers me as well.

Words that I use obsessively:

muck
thin-(i describe far too many things as 'thin')
proper
and my most over-used words 'paused for a moment'!

Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gobi13x
Member # 6837

- posted      Profile for gobi13x   Email gobi13x         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the types words that I use a lot:
Honor
Anything related to undead( favorite fantasy creature type)
gold (or other things related to money)
think/thought
fight
maybe

Posts: 80 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I like "the" best.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

THE?

I think you getting the wrong end of the stick, LOL.

FAVOURITE--not most often used. Otherwise you would have a list as follows:

He
She
they
a
it
the
of
an.

I want words you LIKE. OK, you might like 'the', but it is so common I bet you don't really notice when you use it.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited January 28, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Words I like? Or uncommon words I like?:
Oculus
Ambiguous (and its many uses)
Recalcitrant
Mukluk
Antidisestablishmentantarianism
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia (fear of long words)
Thrall
Thrust
Cleave
Myriad
Plethora
Skull
Warrior
Serpentine
Berzerk
Equine
Somber
Aphid
Harbinger
Froth
Blade
Sanguine/Sanguinary
Woven
Womb
Banal
Calamity
Catalyst
Cataclysm
Drake
Embrace
Verbose
Articulate/Inarticulate (Babble)
Gather
Conquer[or]
Succubus
Blizzard
Stone...

I could do this all day...wait, I'm trying to do this all day

Most of the words I detest are either commonly mispronounced (Wash pronounced Warsh) or intenionally misspelled (Phat).

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited January 29, 2008).]

Hammer
Thunder
Rapid
Biomechanics
Megalomaniac
Martyr
Sierra
Lunatic
Method
Medallion
Millenium/Millenia
Mantra
Code
Chant
Chagrin
Malignant
Benevolent
Fervor
Frivolous
Decadent/Decadence
Debauchery/Debauch
Shadow
Steel
Warlock
War
Gremlin

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited January 29, 2008).]

I just had to add vociferous. I can't believe I forgot it.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited January 31, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Good list, IB. I like a lot of those words, too.
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Byzantine
Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

KStar, what did "plump" ever do to you? . I like it--reminds me of fruit. Penelope plucked the plump plums.

Two words give me the willies:
moist
milk

Moist because of the "Moi" sound; milk because the swallow at the end gives you that sticky throat feeling you (I?) get when I drink milk.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AllenMackley
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for AllenMackley   Email AllenMackley         Edit/Delete Post 
IB, I agree with you on plethora. Reminds of the Three Amigos.

Jefe: I have put many beautiful pinatas in the storeroom, each of them filled with little suprises.
El Guapo: Many pinatas?
Jefe: Oh yes, many!
El Guapo: Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?
Jefe: A what?
El Guapo: A *plethora*.
Jefe: Oh yes, you have a plethora.
El Guapo: Jefe, what is a plethora?
Jefe: Why, El Guapo?
El Guapo: Well, you told me I have a plethora. And I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora.
Jefe: Forgive me, El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education. But could it be that once again, you are angry at something else, and are looking to take it out on me?

Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AllenMackley
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for AllenMackley   Email AllenMackley         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another one: Inconceivable.

The Princess Bride:
Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Sorry, I know this thread is on words, not quotes.

[This message has been edited by AllenMackley (edited January 28, 2008).]

Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
Off the top of my head...

Zephyr
Tasseomancer
Poetaster
Eidolon
Peculation
Lacunae
Ossuary
Ambergris
Analgesic
Somnolent
Panopticon
Bohemian
Cygnet
Seraphim
Eunuch
Feather
Physician
Polymath
Thanatology
Orpiment
Realgar
Paragnost
Zeitgeist
Darling
Metropolis
Scalpel

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KStar
Member # 4968

moist... ugh. I don't like that one either!
Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

What? You don't like the idea of a moist, succulent cake? Mmmmm,yum.

I can understand not liking a moist handshake. Is it just the idea of something being damp, or just wet? Slimy?

AllenMackley
Member # 7771

I think moist is one of those bipolar words. Moist cake - yumm... moist sweaty towels?... uh, yeah...

[This message has been edited by AllenMackley (edited January 29, 2008).]

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
THE?
Sorry. It was supposed to be a joke.

Seriously, though, when I find words I particularly like, I add them to a list, and search for those words as part of my editing process. I try to eliminate as many of them as I can. (Unless, in fact, I haven't used them much--then I let them stay.) I find the words that are used about five to fifteen times in one novel are the ones I have to watch out for. The ones used more often are just more common, and can bear the repetition.

I also find that I no longer "like" many individual words (though I do have the ones I'm more inclined to include in my writing). Rather, I like the way the words are used. Without context, a single word doesn't do much for me.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

For me, moist is just the word itself, be it moist cake or a hand moistened with sweat. It's the way the word sounds and feels coming out of your mouth.

Shudder! I've used that word more now that I ever have in one sitting before. Ick!

Marzo
Member # 5495

I really want some cake now.
Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I really want some...moist cake, drizzled with something to make it even more moist so I can bite into it and enjoy its moistness(?).

Followed by a big glass of milk....Mmmmm.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited January 29, 2008).]

skadder
Member # 6757

Annepin, if you were in cake shop and your friend said, "Hey, that looks like a delicious, succulent and...moist cake. Let's have some."

Would you? Or would the use of that adjective to that cake at that moment put you off it?

Just curious...

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited January 29, 2008).]

annepin
Member # 5952

Heh! I don't think anything could keep me from a good piece of cake. Thank goodness.

Hm... I feel the urge to bake coming on...

KStar
Member # 4968

No. Moist has got to go. I totally agree with annepin, the way the word comes out of my mouth, the 'oye' sound.

AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly a word, but I recently realized I have the tendency to have a sentence structure preference:

Before [person] could [verb], [event].
It's not really that often that you have a character, "about to" do something, and get interrupted. I had to go back and change/delete most of these occurences.

"Before John could stand, Fred got up, went to the fridge, got an apple, ate it, and returned to his seat" type situations lol

I'm also a fan of the word "However." But these are mostly trouble words that I keep an eye out for, not really words I LIKE to use.

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to ween myself from brobdingnagian and lilliputian. I miss them.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite word is, without a doubt, Harumphed. It's almost never appropriate, but when it is.....
Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Marzo, off the top of your head? Huh, I thought I was pretty literate, but I need a dictionary for some of your words!

How often do you use words that would be a stretch for many readers? How do you determine how much of a stetch it will be (since you know it, of course). This happens often, when I'm speaking... co-workers give me a blank look, or say "uh-huh", and I think, I did it again.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

quote:
Marzo, off the top of your head?

Off the top of a head that loves a good word when it finds it (and often seeks them out in places like The Phrontistery), mind. Those are words I've memorized because I particularly like them, not ones I use very often.

quote:
How often do you use words that would be a stretch for many readers? How do you determine how much of a stetch it will be (since you know it, of course). This happens often, when I'm speaking... co-workers give me a blank look, or say "uh-huh", and I think, I did it again.

I hear you there. It's hard for me to find the line between what others see as "arrogantly obtuse vocabulary" and "good use of a word." I speak how I speak, and write how I write, and sometimes that causes problems. I think it used to more than it does now since I've become aware of it, though. I suppose that's all you can do, and trust to an editor to tell you when something reads as more pedantic or obscure than you intended. Leaving a work aside and coming back to it fresh helps me, too.

Of course, genre and character (especially in first-person POV) determine what you can and can't get away with.

The Phrontistery, for those of you as yet unacquainted: http://phrontistery.info/

KStar
Member # 4968

I also like favourite, spelled with a 'u' in the British way.
dienstag
Member # 5696

- posted      Profile for dienstag   Email dienstag         Edit/Delete Post 
smorgisboard and viscera
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
I like, "You've won the lottery" and "We'd like to publish your novel" (in that order). The first one is easier, I think.

I can't seem to avoid using "winced."

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 

While I do not suffer from Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, there are a plethora of words of which I am cognizant, that I prune unmercifully from my writing.

I saw a poster once(in an English class) that read: Never use a long word when a diminutive one will suffice. I got the point and have tried to live by it.

Words that I like:

indeed
erudition
plump
cycle
moist
EDIT[add- truthiness]

[This message has been edited by Cheyne (edited January 30, 2008).]

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'd have to say I've gotten to enjoy using "gotten" and "guess" because they're Americanisms rooted in olde English.

http://www.miketodd.net/encyc/gotten.htm

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AllenMackley
Member # 7771

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

KStar
Member # 4968

and you spelled it correctly ... i think.

[This message has been edited by KStar (edited February 03, 2008).]

Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Phailure.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JFLewis
Member # 6957

- posted      Profile for JFLewis   Email JFLewis         Edit/Delete Post 
I like pellucid, susurrus, and stygian.

I also like moist, but for largely "Dead Like Me" related reasons.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
"I saw a poster once(in an English class) that read: Never use a long word when a diminutive one will suffice. I got the point and have tried to live by it."

Do you think it was intentionally ironic?

Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Demuggledited
delineate
demonstrative

I'm into d's at the moment.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
My word of the week is....

Carapace

but I also like befuddle and shalafi

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.