Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Two time lines....

Author Topic: Two time lines....
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an idea for a novel. I can't say much except that the protag appears in two time lines(one earlier and one later). There are details in each time line that eventually cause it all to meet up at the end of the story, when all the information comes together. Should make for an '..ahh' moment.

The protag has a memory problem (for reasons I can't say) and I have three choices on how to tell the story:

a) Tell the modern story and have the past interspersed as flashbacks as his memory returns(The past is a BIG story so flashbacks will need to be short chapters in length).
b)Tell the modern story and past story as two seperate threads that join at the end.
c)Tell the story from start (past) to finish as it happened...but this ruins the memory problem (which he will still have). It gives the reader too much info and takes away from the unfolding of story and the reveal.

My question really is it alright to have chapter length flash backs/dreams? They would represent about one to two fifths of the book (yes...a novel) Do you end one chapter with... and then write the dream chapter in italics?

Thoughts?

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited February 05, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
There doesn't sound like there's an easy solution, although I think I would find it most interesting if I didn't have any connection at first. Chapter 1, start somewhere (my recommendation is the present), and then Chapter 2, start somewhere in the past. Either have the character have the same name, or the harder prospect, the same behavior/core character. Then let it unfold, going back and forth.

Another option is the one Roger Zelazny chose for his first Amber book, "Nine Princes in Amber." The protag in the story has a memory problem, and his memory isn't recovered until almost halfway through an 80K novel. But... he then recovers his memory, and he is able to remember the disconnect of the 400 years that he spent on earth before returning to Amber and shadow.

Either way, it will probably be a challenge, but likely worthwhile.

Good luck.

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like a decent place for chapter subscripts. Chapter 1 could start out: Berlin, 1969. Chapter 2 could start: Dresden, 1944. If you don't know (or don't want to pin down) your future year, you can still do "Present" and "Two Years Earlier". Some of these are more hokey than others but, believe me, it's doable and I've seen it done.

Do NOT, under any circumstances, put entire chapters in italics. I simply won't read a book that does that. (And I am many men.)

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the flashback chapters thing sounds like the best option. And I'll second rickfisher...DO NOT put an entire chapter in italics. Especially because that would mean, in the manuscript, it would have a whole chapter underlined. No human being could read that.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Fair enough about the italics...

How do I then indicate the flashback/dream chapters. I htought of just putting them in like another timeline and have the MC refer to them, (to clue the reader in shortly after the first one) that he dreamed these strange events...

The dream timeline isn't as convienient as Berlin 1944...I wish it was.

It would be more like 4.2 million years ago; 4.1999 million years ago; 4.001 million years ago...So the events I need to relate to the present are also separated by massive stretches of time, which makes dating subtitles difficult, especially as you are interspersing this with 'The present day'.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Millions of years?

Hmm. Well, there must be some differences between the timelines that would be obvious to the reader - from futuristic spacestation, jump back to paleolithic men in a cave, leap back to the space station, then back again to feudal Europe, lather rinse repeat.Specific characters that only exist in one timeline or another would be a good way to go - your readers would know that when your MC is talking to Jefferson, he's in the past, but when he's speaking to Dr. Himmelfarb, he's in the future.

Go out on a limb and trust your readers to be able to tell the difference between 4 million years ago and today. If there aren't enough differences between 4 million years ago and today that a reader couldn't tell, then why the jumping through time?

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Kristine Kathryn Rusch did something similar in her book, White Mist of Power, and only let the reader know when she brought the two timelines together. I found that a little irritating.

She was telling the story of the childhood and adulthood of the same character, who had a different name as an adult. I think, if I remember correctly, that the two timelines dealt with a parallel conflict, so there was a clever structure to the whole thing.

The thing that was irritating was that the adult character knew how the childhood timeline turned out, but never thought about it even though we were in his point of view--which I consider cheating on the part of the author.

Anyway, if your two timelines are so very different in setting, it will be clearer to the reader and you won't have that particular problem. You might want to get Rusch's book to see how she did it (and how well I have recalled it, for that matter--I read it several years ago).

I'd recommend that you title the "flashback/dream" chapters clearly as dreams: Dream 1, Dream 2, etc, and you intersperse them among the "real life" chapters. The reader will know they are important because you've included them, and will identify with the point of view character as he tries to figure out what they mean. All to the good, I would think.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Alternating chapters will probably be the clearest.

Let's go back to the problem with how far back the flashback / dreams go. You say you don't want to tell the reader:

quote:
4.2 million years ago; 4.1999 million years ago; 4.001 million years ago

But chances are that your dream / flashback sequences are going to be sequential. You may not want the reader to know exactly what you're doing until the end, but you also don't want the reader confused about the sequence of the events (i.e., coming to the next dream chapter and being confused about when it falls in relation to the others).

Also, is it important for your reader to notice that 100 years go by, then 198,900 years? This suggests either time travel, immortality, or totally unrelated events.

Hmmm - a dream may not be taken as having anything to with the protagonist's reality, but if we take your protag and have him going through something like hypnosis (to restore his memory, or access his "past lives") it may tie the past sequences tighter to the protag. Unless the protag can't know until the end...

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
I read about a similar problem in the book Plot and Structure, by Bell. He gave an example with a strong image (a spider) that made the MC think of a past event. Then at the end of the flashback, that strong image was introduced again to bring the MC (and reader) back to the present.

I know that doesn't quite apply since your character can't remember. Something else Bell said is, don't write a flashback all in ... hmm, I forget what tense it is... Here's a (terrible) example:

Carl had been running toward the castle. He picked up a spear and threw it at the goblin. (Continue in past tense for the rest of the scene. Then write the last sentence with HAD BEEN again.) It had been the worst day of the war.

<shrug>

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I don't mind the reader knowing the time line. Originally, I was going to do it as a separate thread and have the protag refer to dreams/flashbacks he had, the reader would then realize (quite quickly), by associations, the protag was seeing the earlier timeline--and will hopefully be hooked on how it all matches up.

The time line is as follows (and the gaps are important--and the reader needs to know some gaps are only a thousand years and others are a few million))

6million years ago--first event.
A thousand years after--second event.
A year after--third event
A million years later--fourth event.
4 million years--fifth event.
(Yes-the events are sequential)

Then it moves to the present.(The majority of the story)

I wanted to intersperse the modern day chapter's between the earlier events.

My main problem is how to represent the time changes without spinning the readers head and confusing them.

e.g.

6 million years ago
Modern
5999000 years ago
Modern
5998999 years ago
modern

etc, etc...

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited February 05, 2008).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
If they are dreams, you as the author are the only one who needs to know exactly when they are.

Unless, of course, the dates are important, and maybe even then, you could have the character figure out when they are as the story proceeds.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
Good timing, this thread.

I am 25k into a novel with a similar structure(problem?)

My novel starts with a new conflict arising in the present for a character who has a storied past. The first chapter introduces the characters, the present situation, and the coming conflict.

Chapter two (and every second chapter) goes (way) back to the beginning to explain how the main character got to the present situation. The backstory will play out in parallel to the frontstory until they meet near the end of the book.(I know parallels don't meet but you get me).

I have been writing the novel in a back and forth manner, with alternating chapters of Frontstory/backstory/Frontstory/etc. ...

My question is, will this structure be sustainable or should I package the past in bursts of memory, dreams, conversations and the like. MrsBrown suggested bracketing a memory with a strong visual trigger, which I did for the first infodump of expository backstory, but I abandoned that for now wanting to finish writing the novel.

My inclination right now is to plow ahead and finish the story in its present form and revise it as needed. This has worked alright so far as each chapter resonates with the others because they were conceived and born around the same time, but if a better idea comes up I can change course in mid story.

What are other people's thoughts on this? Are you annoyed following two stories at once or can they both be sustained and still satisfy?

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see any problem with following two stories at once, as long as they're both interesting. Just do it.

As for the original question: Mrs. Brown is right about not writing flashbacks of any sort longer than a few lines all in past perfect tense. However . . . a less-used, less-intuitive approach that can sometimes work is to write flashbacks in present tense. This might be especially useful in this case, since the flashbacks are also DREAMS, and present tense--with its sense of timelessness--is very evocative of the dream-state.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Past perfect! Thank you, rickfisher.

Cheyne said, "MrsBrown suggested bracketing a memory with a strong visual trigger, which I did for the first infodump of expository backstory"

Bell presented the sensory trigger so the backstory can be written as an action scene. I assume that is your approach, but thought it worth mentioning. (I'm the new student reveling in new knowledge.)

Skadder, 6 million vs 4 million vs 1 million don't seem like important distinctions--anything could happen in a million years, right? Could your character really keep track of time on that kind of scale? Never mind, I know you don't want to say. Good luck!

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Skadder,
I think for this to work you need to have some kind of constant that can show the passing of time, for example a statue or castle, or person, or family name or whatever you decide.
For example, If you have 6 million years ago a certain mountain range or something that the action takes place in be tall and healty show at 5 mill the range, with the same name, but lots of erosion, and then maybe in the future, or modern times, have the action take place in the same place with the same name, but maybe the mountain is now a hill. If you have a constant it will make the two stories live in the same world, even though they are literally an eon apart. Just my opinion,
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Good idea, unfortunately most of the time passes in space.
Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
Could you do the whole flashback in a row. The Mayfair Witches by Anne Rice comes to mind where the Part 1 of the book is the present, then Part 2 is a file explaining the entire history of the family, then Part 3 is the present, with the knowledge gained by the character reading Part 2.
Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

- posted      Profile for KPKilburn   Email KPKilburn         Edit/Delete Post 
Good timing on this topic. I am struggling with the same problem. Maybe not exactly the same issue, but I had written a segment with a big technical infodump of some lab procedures. I tried to make it less infodumpish by have one character give the other a tour. I plopped it into the story at the beginning of a chapter and it was pretty much a disaster.

My goal was to start "Five Years Ago" and then eventually merge the character's timeline with the MC's timeline (they would meet).

Here are some ideas I had - may or may not work, so take them for what they're worth.

One idea I had was to do identify the chapters two different ways - one in Arabic numerals (present) and the other in Roman (past). Not sure how distracting that would be. I guess that's the same simply naming the chapters. I scratched the idea and am now trying to incorporate the flashbacks into the story.

Another idea was to begin all of the flashback chapters with a quote or italicized passage (sentence or two) - something that identifies it to the reader, but is also interesting. I never quite figured out exactly how to do it, but I may explore it later.

I also have an unfinished time travel story where I simply put the dates in. It spans only about 20 years, so it probably works better for me than for you since your story takes place over millions of years. I also put a sort-of chapter title along with the date to help the reader follow. Not sure how it's going to work out.

Posts: 172 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.