Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » need word or fraze

Author Topic: need word or fraze
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
in writing book 2 of 7 i have run into a wall.
so far in a massive intersteller war, the race i am wrighting as the "good guys" i havent named them yet. but they have taken on a ground war on an enemy planet and have become over run.

once i hit the wall i started watching war movies "being deployed we watch a lot of war movies" anyway i watched We Were Soldgers and it hit me like a RPG to a HUMVE or like a ton of led. Broken Arrow. but the race i am writing of has frogotten about aarows speers etc.
what might they use in the place.

Tango Mike

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Rocks, slings, traps. Drowning people in carefully laid ambushes, etc.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Clubs, man. Wack them to death. Ones with horns in them at the end. Trained animals. Wolves, tigers, bulls, elephants, or their alien equilivant
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
clubs could work.

but what would a rase use a key word(s) that would be used as we are being over run.
the the scairest thing known to them beleve it or not are hippies, human or otherwise. it is what they stand for peace, free love etc.
unfortencly or forchently they are not on the planet.
my time is up gtg

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
The limbs of their fallen?
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
How about "Oh S***!"

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited February 05, 2008).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
Free Radicals?
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Author Topic: need word or fraze
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member posted February 05, 2008 06:01 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
in writing book 2 of 7 i have run into a wall.
so far in a massive intersteller war, the race i am wrighting as the "good guys" i havent named them yet. but they have taken on a ground war on an enemy planet and have become over run.
once i hit the wall i started watching war movies "being deployed we watch a lot of war movies" anyway i watched We Were Soldgers and it hit me like a RPG to a HUMVE or like a ton of led. Broken Arrow. but the race i am writing of has frogotten about aarows speers etc.
what might they use in the place.

Tango Mike

RFW2nd

A spear, or more correctly, a lance, in its basic form, is simply a sharpened stick. A bayonett is simply a rifle with a sharp thing stuck on the end, a basic lance.

A lance is used as a hand held weapon, while a spear is generally thrown, though is often used as a hand held weapon.

clubs is any heavy object, swing it like a hammer and if it is not blocked, or if it is blocked wrongly, it will do damage.

If they have toys like frisbies, they could give it some weight and a sharp edge. It would be ezcellent against unarmored groups of people The Discus is a similar weapon for use against sheilds.

Adding a rope to a heavy club or hammer, and you have the hammer throw as used in the olympics, and that is effective even against shields and armor.

The japaneeze populations were forbiddeen to own a sword. To defend themselves, they developed methods to use common farming impliments as weapons. Consider what farming impliments are in use for farming by hand and those could be the weapons needed.

Shields can simply be metal plates with a way to hold onto it. Armies today march in formation as a memory of shield use. There are times when that is needed.

Before the bow and arrow, mankind used a weighted flexible stick with a notch on the end. Set the arrow into the notch, the stick flings the arrow with considerable distance and accuracy. The south americans were the people we found these in use. I think they might be called something like ake ake. there are disadvantages to this that the bow and arrow don't have, but it is effective.

I will think of more ideas if this comes close to what you are looking for.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
How about a good shovel? I've read they were quite popular as weapons in the trenches in World War One...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Before the bow and arrow, mankind used a weighted flexible stick with a notch on the end. Set the arrow into the notch, the stick flings the arrow with considerable distance and accuracy. The south americans were the people we found these in use. I think they might be called something like ake ake.

I think that's called an atlatl

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

man i love the snow in this country.
droped the net for the better half of a few days, but it was quite nice to have nothing to do.

ok i like the idea of the shovle. shovles hurt when thet are not used as a weapon ie falling from the shed rack and onto your head.

i dont know much of WWI but it would make sence. a trench war. trenches didnt just dig themselves.

i also ilked the limbs of their fallen. sounds like how i talk.

my time is up again. gtg

RFW2nd

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Near as I can figure...you liberate a shovel from somewhere, a spade with a four-foot or so handle. (I have no idea how they're standardized.) You use the shovel to dig your trench. When that's done, you've essentially got a pike. When some of the enemy slip past your machine gun nests, you've got a weapon with some reach to deal with him. (Assuming you're not using grenades or semi-automatics or whatever.) You could even put an edge on the blade for better effect.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

or land mines. WWI was the first large scail deployment of them. and back then, there was no difference from AT (anti tank) or AP (anti personel) they just went bang with 18 lbs of pressure to set it off. the only difference was the size of the bang.
and usily a machine gunner dose not have a secondary gun for close calls. the shovle would probly be the closest thing he has at the time.

GOD DO I LOVE MY M249. stay tuned for the song.

gtg

RFW2nd

KPKilburn
Member # 6876

- posted      Profile for KPKilburn   Email KPKilburn         Edit/Delete Post 
They have forgotten about spears and such weapons? Without background and context, that doesn't seem very believable unless they're like the Eloi and just sit around and wait to be eaten.

If they are peacelovers and have "forgotten" about weaponry, then to me that implies that they also have forgotten how to fight. Without the "warrior spirit" no weapon will help them unless they visit their neighbors across the border and buy up some EFPs or learn to make HME. You know the deal.

Posts: 172 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
There is several ways the loss of "primative weapons" could happen.

They might wear helmates that give them mind control of enemy. They come up against primatives and just look at them and order them to do things, usually to themselves. The primatives in their control never get the opportunity to consider doing harm. One never has to lift a finger, throw anything, stab at anything. Advanced battle would not be likely, but would be who knows the most interesting techniques against the other to add up to full control. Follow the right pattern and the enemy will find themselves no longer fighting without understanding why.

Energy beams out of the the helmate guided by eyes.. waves of focused sound at the precise frequencies to disable opponants, blasts of energy eminating out from the solder as wall like sheets to clear the area in front. defensive charges in the armor to fry anybody contacting them with the wrong charge setting.

They wear bubble shields and when they interfear with the enemy's shield, it is a matter of who has more power. They can combine their sheilds to amplify the effect. When a shield fails, there is a blast of energy into the wearer. The battles would be to get close, then position the rest of the people in some ways to focus the shields in the optimal way against whatever the enemy is doing. The front line would stand there facing each other. The rest are shifting around to counter the shifts of the others. A powerful army might know a pattern to shift to and from that can beat larger numbered armies. They might have the optimal number of people in their force for the maximum effect. More and less gets less effect.

All of these ideas would allow thrown and stabbed weapons to become obsolite not practiced, not used. Martial arts might not even be practiced any more.

Now consider one of the above examples suddenly without their weapons and shields. what do they do? It is not a situation to surrender.
This might be the situations that Wolf is thinking about.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

- posted      Profile for KPKilburn   Email KPKilburn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There is several ways the loss of "primative weapons" could happen...

I guess I wasn't looking at it from that perspective. If they used highly technical weaponry, but then had it taken away, it would make sense that they may not be able to fight very well with "antique" weapons. I guess it all depends on the world of the story.

Posts: 172 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

that is simmiler to what i was thinking.

in the movie We Were Solders the commander called "Broken Arrow" which ment they are being over run and needed air support ASAP.
sence this race has frogoten almost all projictal weapons what might they say?

RFW2nd

PS:

just got the worst news. my uncle who raised me has passed away.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
That is really hard news, RFW2. Please accept our sympathy.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

tango mike KDW

RFW2nd

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.