Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Query tinkering

Author Topic: Query tinkering
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
This is more a question to the world regarding the agent querying process more so than writing, itself, but here it is.

At what point do you stop tinkering with a query and just send it out? I think over the past year I've queried about 20 agents, and of those queries I received 2-3 requests for a partial (no full manuscript requests). I keep saying to myself that I want to make my query better, etc. But at what point do I stop tinkering? Clearly those 3 agents who liked the query passed based on the actual pages of my manuscript, not the query, so is the query letter I've "perfected" completing its function?

At what point do I consider a query letter good enough? Should I presume that 3/20 is a "bad" ratio for partial requests, and attempt to spruce my query up more? Should I just bite the bullet and send my query out, and just figure that only 3/20 agents liked my story, that it is my story and style that is resulting in the low fraction of responses, not my query letter itself?

Anyone else faced this scenario?
Anyone out there actually find an agent, can you reply back with a rough guess at your partial request / agent query ratio?
Thanks.

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea. Helpful, aren't I?

My query has so far garnered about a 3/20 ratio for requests for partials. Some of those 20 queries haven't received a response yet, but I'm assuming a "no" considering how long it's been. Of the three partial requests, I've only heard back from one agent (who said "no").

Did all 3 of your partial requests come from the same query? My first query received a 1 in 11 partial request, so I worked on it. The second version has received 2 requests out of 3 query responses (so far...I'm waiting on 6 responses), so I'm sticking with it for now. Though I have completed a nice third version of the query, I've seen too many people tinker the life out of their query without realizing it. I'm sticking with my second version unless someone else here can prove that our 3/20 ratio sucks.

[This message has been edited by DebbieKW (edited February 06, 2008).]

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Just my 2 cents (I have never done a query, so maybe it's 1 cent).

I do not think that everyone who likes your query will like your story. Conversely (and more importantly), NOT everyone who likes your story will like your query, so there are agents who might have said yes to your writing, but never saw it because the query did not work for them.

The better your query letter, the more likely that the agent you need will be interested, so yes, keep working on your query.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
i would think when ever you wanted to or feel like it.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChristineT
Member # 7789

- posted      Profile for ChristineT   Email ChristineT         Edit/Delete Post 
The best query reflects the texture of your manuscript in the most concise way. It's got to have the same tone, action and passion as the book so that the agent really knows where you're coming from. Sometimes I try to make the query to formal and unemotional but the best query should be like a really good movie trailer of your full-length feature film in writing, showing off the best parts.

Honestly, how many movies have you gone to that looked great in the previews but were crap when you sat through them. Do that in writing and you've got a great query-- although it would be better if the manuscript is good too.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't queried anyone yet, but here're my thoughts.

There's no formula, but the answer is simple. How much time and energy do you have to invest in this project? You can tinker with a query forever, just as you can tinker with a story or book forever, and it will still won't work for some editors/ agents. So, I think the best strategy is to make it the best you can for the first round, and if you have time and energy, revise it and try a completely different approach once in a while. Alternatively, you can continue to send out the query you've already done.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.