Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » WOTF, Q108

Author Topic: WOTF, Q108
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like the results are starting to roll in. HMs are being distributed and K.D. Wentworth is starting to seperate the finalists from the semifinalists.

Any news?

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard a word yet but looked at their website. What does it mean when you receive the 'honorable mention'? Are you now out of the contest or does it mean that you have qualified for the next round. Last quarter was my first submit to the contest so I am unfamiliar about what to get excited about.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited February 15, 2008).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I gather, an honorable mention means your story was read fully and considered but it didn't really get beyond the slush pile--a bit like a personal rejection note. Although you get a certificate because it is an achievement.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, that's harsh! I think it means you _did_ get above the first slush pile, anyway. At least it was read all the way through, and was good enough to merit an honorable mention. I have no idea how many stories a year receive an honorable mention, however.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you don't win, you can enter as many times as you want.

A HM is a nonwinning story that is better than 85% of the entries. The first reader, Kathy Wentworth, read the entire manuscript and thought it had one or more elements that she considered well done: setting, idea, characters, plot, prose, voice.

HM used to be called quarterfinalist, but that confused some who believed that meant they were a finalist for that quarter. To make matters more confusing, years ago, the term HM was used to mean something else--I believe, a story that was considered much better than quarterfinalist.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited February 15, 2008).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

So, in other words HM means you just got as far as your going to get this quarter, right?

Also, when do you get the 'Sorry, you didn't win' message? After they gone through all the stories or when they threw up after they read the first page?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper, have you checked out the blog and forums?

Many of your question have been answered at the forums.

As for the ['Sorry, you didn't win' message], IF you get a phone call from Joni asking to list your name as an "Honorable Mention" on the blog, you've been informed of this that quarter's results for your story. If you don't hear anything, they're still judging it. They will contact you (via a method you gave them) with the results.

I haven't heard anything yet, Chris. Have you?

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited February 15, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Nope. Still waiting. I'm guessing next week we may know who the finalist are.
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
I just received a call from Joni a few minutes ago. My story was an Honorable Mention for the first quarter of 2008.

Good luck to everyone else who hasn't heard yet! You've still got a chance!

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to those of you that recieved an honorable mention. From what I gather on the WOTF forum, that is equavalent to the semi-finalist, or the top 10-15%. It is certainly a meritable achievement.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Semifinalist is a step up from HM. It means your story was in the Top 20.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Any word yet, Chris?

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Yep. I just got a call about an hour or so ago. Alas--Honorable Mention.
snapper
Member # 7299

Congrats luapc and Chris!

Good luck to rest of ya!

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I knew you'd get at least an Honorable Mention, though I was holding out hope that you'd be at least a finalist. You'll get it yet, damn it! Paul, too.

Well, I haven't heard anything yet. Any other Hatrackers still in there?

This is my first entrance that had a "speculative element", and it's doing well. (Finger crossed) My Pantroth story was tossed after not displaying magic or monsters.

luapc
Member # 2878

Thanks for the kind words, InarticulateBabbler. If you haven't heard yet, there's a chance you're a Semifinalist or Finalist. I've got my fingers crossed for you, and anybody else who hasn't heard yet.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Thanks, Paul. Kathy said there's going to be another box of Honorable Mentions today. Thanks for your positive thoughts. I perused your site, and found Kathy's critique helpful. Thanks for posting that, too.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited February 18, 2008).]

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Shoot, I didn't know it was time to start obsessing yet!! Here I am, completely unprepared to be obsessing. I'm too busy right now obsessing over the fact that I still don't have a rock solid idea for my next quarter entry. I've decided what topic, setting, main character (though she needs more detail so she isn't accidentally just me) and main features, but as always, plot is my enemy and I'm not sure how I'm going to take her from Once Upon A Time to The End.

Meanwhile, I entered (with my 11th hour drastic rewrite of the second half of the story) and haven't heard anything yet. My stats so far are 1 HM and one "thanks for entering, you did not win."

All appendages are crossed now, let the obsessing commence!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

All semifinalist and finalist listed. More HMs to come.

http://wotfblog.galaxypress.com/2008/02/drumroll-please.html

Tommorow, I'm sending my Q108 story on. Since it didn't do better than HM, I don't hold out much hope for it. I'm also sending my Q407 finalist story. Since WOTF, it's been rejected twice. At least, it garnered a YFOP from ROF.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Yeah, they either have been teasing me (along with a couple of others), or have completely dissed me.
KayTi
Member # 5137

I eagerly await the rejection letter in the mail. Sigh.

Neat to see all those names on the HM list, though. Gives some ... tangibility (is that a word?) to this random contest I keep entering much to my family's consternation.

Chris - I'm going back to my HM story to polish it and send it on. Then I have to re-read last quarter's entry and see if it is a steaming pile of dung, fix it if so, and submit it too.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I made the Honorable Mention list. Apparently--according to Joni--KDWentworth held my story back because she was debating on making it a Semi Finalist. When she called, she interrupted my kids' story time...the littlest one threw a fit.

KayTi, if you still haven't heard, it's likely it's the same kind of thing.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited February 20, 2008).]

annepin
Member # 5952

Congrats, you guys!

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited February 20, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Kudos to you IB, and congrats to everyone else how has made to honor list.
luapc
Member # 2878

Congratulations IB!

One of the things I've always disliked about the way WOTF is run is the big pile of Honorable Mentions and never knowing if a story was at the top or bottom of it. If it's at the top, like yours, then the story was considered for Semi or Finalist. If not, then the tag Honorable Mention doesn't mean nearly as much, at least not to me. It looks like you found out on this one.

BTW, I wouldn't mind reading your story if you don't mind, and want to send it my way. It never hurts to see what things Kathy Wentworth likes.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Congrats IB! Almost an semifinalist! That might put you in the top 21.
annepin
Member # 5952

Yeah, IB, would it be all right if I read it too? I read the first draft ages ago, but never saw the finished story. As I rework my submission for this quarter, I often think back to your experience with your story. I find it rather inspirational.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I was just happy to find out that it hadn't been used when someone ran out of toilet paper.

When a couple of postings had gone by without any mention, I went back and re-read my story. I found like five last-minute-editing errors, and one thing that really bugged me about a story element. I've fixed most of the last-minute stuff, but not the element.

I'll shoot you two a copy, but I just wanted you to know there have been some changes.

luapc
Member # 2878

Thanks, IB

I'm sure the changes will only make it a better read. I'm looking forward to it.

As far as toilet paper, I have a few rejection slips...

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Since HMs are in top 10-15%, and there were 106 for Q1, perhaps that comes to 706 to 1060 entries.
KayTi
Member # 5137

Sad to say, no that wasn't the fate of my story. Bah. Go figure, I reworked 50% of it in 5 hours the night before submitting. Eek.

I'm trying to be better prepared this quarter. And now that I'm saying that, I'm reminded of the fact that I'm delinquent in some crits I promised to other WOTF hopefuls. Shoot. I'm way behind on my fiction writing. The good news is, it's partly because I've been blogging for a few different tech things and getting some traction. Always exciting to fling your words out into the big wide open and actually hear back from people who read what you wrote. I heard this week that someone from Nova Scotia contacted someone I blogged about because I made the project sound so compelling. I live really far from Nova Scotia!

ANYWAY - enough about me, congrats Rich! That's great news.

skadder
Member # 6757

Does anyone know if WOTF leans more toward sci-fi or fantasy? I have two stories I could send in but am unsure which to send.

I know it is probably meant to equal...but these things usually have a bias.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

The preference is definitely Sci-fi, and well researched hard sci-fi, if you've got it. Fantasy stories do make it, but the percentage of winning sci-fi stories far exceeds fantasy. This is rather strange, BTW, since Fantasy outsells sci-fi right now by a good margin, but then again, you have to consider that most of the judges tend toward sci-fi writing themselves.
skadder
Member # 6757

I would be really grateful if someone who got an HM could send me a copy of thier story. I just want to check that my stuff is up to the standard or not.

luapc
Member # 2878

I'll be glad to send you my HM story for the last quarter, but please don't distribute it or pass it along to anybody else.

Realize though, that writing is all a matter of opinion once you get past the writing mechanics part (spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc.) What one person finds appealing in a story, another will reject, so don't try to write like I do, or compare yourself to my work too harshly. Heck, you could be writing much better stories than I do, so take it for what it's worth.

You can also check out my website if you want. I've posted my semifinalist story, and a rewrite there along with Kathy Wentworth's critique for anybody interested. Once there, just click the "My Stories" link on the left hand side. Here's the link to that site:

http://www.paulallancomstock.com

The HM story I'll send in a standard word document by the email you listed on Hatrack.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Skadder,

If you want to look at either my finalist or semifinalist story, you're welcome to do that too.

As Paul said, not to distrubute, and I'd ask, not not a detailed crit, but your thoughts on how to improve it. I've come to the sad realization that a nonwinning finalist story has little hope of finding a home in a pro mag, and unlike a semifinalist, you get no pro feedback telling you why it didn't place.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited February 25, 2008).]

skadder
Member # 6757

Sure, Chris send the finalist one over...I will give you an opinion, and it will be useful to see what nearly won.

Can't you just change the story title and not tell anyone you sub it to that it was only a finalist in wotf? I would have felt certain it should sell with that pedigree.

skadder
Member # 6757

Can you use the word s_h_i_t_ in WotF entry--for that matter bitch and slag, too? Also do they mind implied drug use?
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
*clears throat* Some of them strike me as being quite straight-laced.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

They were okay with the @$$ in mine.
skadder
Member # 6757

Yeah? But maybe without it you would have won!
luapc
Member # 2878

I own and have read almost every issue of the Anthology. As such, I can honestly say I don't remember seeing any of these kind of words used. Of course, I might just have missed them.

In general, I think that the s-word, and f-word might very well get you rejected, but possibly not, as Kathy has commented that such things can be edited out easily for the anthology unless they are integral to the story. In those cases, though, I don't doubt that such words would weigh heavily on the decision of its placement.

Personally, I don't believe such words are necessary for a story. But then again, I don't write that way. Stephen King is a good example of an author who does write using such words regularly. He is often vulgar and poetic at the same time, and successful, so what do I know?

That said, it still might be safest to try to rework the story to have the best chance to win. Sometimes part of being a successful author is in crafting a story to the market, and that's what WOTF is, just another market. You'll have to decide whether its worth doing so or not.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

King is sometimes at his most poetic when he is using obscenities which is interesting.

I am as always in doubt about entering. If I do it would be only my second try--but I always feel as though entering is a total waste for me seeing judges such as Tim Power express dislike for stories in a "medieval milieu" on the WotF forum and one of the other judges rip stories that have traditional races.

I mean I have what I consider the strongest story I've ever written in that horrible nasty milieu with a (gasp of horror) elf like being in it. His being somewhat "alien" is essential to the story as is the milieu.

I'll probably enter it anyway--even though I really thought I wouldn't enter again. I suspect it's just a poor market for what I write. But then I tell myself how do I know unless I try. I dunno.

Then I think that I'm just using that as an excuse for not having done well. But a number of the judges have expressed dislike for the type of "heroic" fantasy that I write--so maybe I'm not. And it never seems to win at least not in the anthologies I've read.

Maybe it depends on the judges who happen to get it. I can't see Wolverton being that prejudiced against the milieu since it's what he writes. Blech. Hard to decide.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited February 25, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Go for it Jeanne, it's a good story.
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Thanks, skadder. I probably will but I feel like the kind of story I write makes me go in with several strikes already against me in a contest that is highly competitive anyway. Let's face it there are some really good stories entered. And mine goes in with Wentworth already having said she doesn't like the elements in it.

I'm glad you liked the story. (It was crittered for those who are wondering and run on Baen's Slush.) It got excellent comments on both so I have some confidence in the story--but...

Edit: It's quotes like this that convince me that any fantasy with any epic trope wont win.

Tim Powers posted on their forum:

"Certainly it's possible to write a good story in the default-medieval pseudo-Tolkien world that we see so many novels set in -- but I'm going to approach it skeptically."

Notice he will be skeptical even if it's good. And if it's medieval then it must be "default" and "pseudo-Tolkien". Huh.

Even if it's good he isn't going to like it. And why? If it's good why is using a traditional trope a bad thing? It's like saying you can't have space in science fiction.

So after a good deal of angst over it (way more than was called for), I'm not going to enter. The other thing this little night of insomnia and angst has done is convince me not to write any more short stories. They come hard for me and when you get down to the bottom line, they're a waste of time and effort.

Sorry guys, I've had a rough night and I'm pretty depressed at this point about the whole short story thing.

A sincere congratulations to everyone who is doing well in WotF.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited February 26, 2008).]

skadder
Member # 6757

Congrats to Snapper who got an Honorable Mention.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited March 01, 2008).]

snapper
Member # 7299

Aww shucks, skadder. You didn't have to do that.

Yeah that was me, bringing up the rear. Not too bad for my first try, even though I thought it should have won the thing. (I'm sure everyone that entered thought the same thing)

Joni said she didn't have my number. So much for my cover letter. I better give it the once over and send it somewhere else.

annepin
Member # 5952

Excellent, snapper!
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Way to go! Honorable mention is an achievement in WotF.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.