Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » February 18, 2006 Did You Write?

Author Topic: February 18, 2006 Did You Write?
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
February 18, 2006 Did You Write?
it is that time of the week where we brag about our accomplishments, cry about our failures, and otherwise tell about what is going on.
This is intended to be a goal to work for, where once a week you can report on your writing and feel ashamed when you don't get around to writing for some stupid reason such as life getting in the way. What can be more important than writing, anyway?
I consider writing as, of course, any new writing. I also consider editing to be writing, even if it is editing someone else's work. World building is also writing, as long as you get something on paper. Poetry, blogging, articles, newsletters, also pass as writing.
AS for me, I finally got a chance to write a little bit. What I did was finish editing my work in progress about my Waxy Dragon. I had to change the tone of the story, She makes a big mess which she and her teddy bears have to clean up. I had to change it from willfully making the mess to accidental because she was doing something wrong. I can now continue on with the story, now that the tone is improved. Even so, the editing added 644 words to the story so now I have 2455 words and on page 4. It is not good but it is something. I periodically write that much in my story ideas in one sitting. I only had about an hour to play so that is the best I had available.
My writing partner took a story I started three times, and is trying to write it for me. We had discussed the concept in depth so she knows what I was trying to do and where it was going. She was interested in seeing if there was something that could be done so I sent her all three versions. It will be fun to see what she comes up with on it.

I am, at this moment, a story idea ahead. I have a club meeting on Thursday so that will bring me back to even for the date of the month. I do have fun writing them, but not all ideas are really that fun to write. Those are generally few and far between for the most part. Of course, the day may make the difference too.
I generally write about a dozen romance story ideas during the year also. I post them in a separate subject line. I noticed that I have not written any romance story ideas so far this year. It does bother me that I have not come up with an idea that can be made into a romance idea. My romance story ideas are really action adventures with romantic tendencies. some are more romance oriented than others. I do the best I can when I have the right kind of story idea.

On the woodworking front, I am getting closer to being ready for my art show. My newest fairy has wings and a base, but I still have to carve her hands and giver her something to hold. I replaced the upper wing (my fairies have the double wings of butterflies) on another fairy I broke at the art show last year. I also repaired a carving named FAST FOOD, where a dog is running off with a hobo's steak. My latest duck is in finishing mode.
I have a wood turning club meeting Thursday and my last three bird bowls and my latest fairy will be taken there for display. The fairy's base was created on the lathe so she will be displayed at the club meeting. There is a carving club that meets at the same place on the same day so I will show them what I've been doing too.
After the club meeting, all my attention will be getting my existing projects ready for the art show I am a part of. I likely will spend the next weekends sanding and varnishing, rather than making new projects. Think of this as editing my work rather than writing new, to understand how I feel about this.

A few weeks ago I broke out with Pityriasis Rosea. this is a condition where a childhood virus was dormant in the body and reoccurs in a different mode. Shingles is where chicken pox comes back. Anyway, Pityriasis Rosea comes up with tiny pimples all over the body that itches. when you scratch, you break off the tops and leaves red dots all over. I received treatment and now just have some itch and places where my scratches damaged the skin. It is distracting, to say the least. I have a doctor's appointment Friday and may be put on a longer treatment program. I would say that the worst part is where you are sitting there scratching and thinking that you are doing good to ignore the itch, then you realize what you are doing.
My sister in law is going for cancer surgery tomorrow. I will be watching for news about the surgery and her recovery over the next week.

So, to the question of the day,
I can say YES I did write.

Did you write?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Have and am. As usual. So many things, so little time.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
erm... sorta. Let's leave it at that this week, shall we?
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gobi13x
Member # 6837

- posted      Profile for gobi13x   Email gobi13x         Edit/Delete Post 
Once again nearly all of my writing was for academic reasons. I wrote several thousand words for my classes, but only a few hundred of my WIP. I hope that the next week will be better.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I started the week with seven first drafts to rewrite and edit.

Now I have ten.

I don't know if that is good or bad.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Still in neutral...still lingering cold and busy times...still got ideas bubbling up...sooner or later I'll get back to it, maybe tomorrow where I have a fairly large free block of time...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I wrote about seven thousand words over the past two days, and edited the most recent update for my e-novella. That's very characteristic of my procrastinating, writing-binge style. I'll go a week without touching the proverbial quill, then blast it all out at once.

Inkwell
------------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Inkwell (edited February 19, 2008).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LCastle
Member # 7363

- posted      Profile for LCastle   Email LCastle         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, yay! Not back up to full speed, but getting there. The holiday helped (and the nice weather, which let me sit on the deck for an hour or so on Monday before my fingers froze..).
Posts: 100 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
Two pages only, but yes.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

Barely. The young adult novel was briefly touched, as were two short stories. And that's about it. Most of my time was spent on family business...including helping my 11 year old son with his science project (I'm having as much fun with it as he is).

S!
S!....C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SchamMan89
Member # 5562

- posted      Profile for SchamMan89   Email SchamMan89         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...two years ago eh? Well, Feb 18, 2006 I'm not too sure I wrote much of anything, except for an essay for 11th grade English.

This last week, though, yes, I wrote quite a bit. My story's structure and soul has really been coming together. Any day now I'll be able to really start my first draft (I have 3 notebooks full of notes from the past 2 years of planning haha)

~Chris

Posts: 105 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday 2/23/08 676 words. My minimum is 500 words a day, so I'm successful again. I'm writing a bunch of first drafts. Short stories. Finished one set on Europa, now I'm spending my time on a space station orbiting Earth sometime in the near future. Almost finished with that one and plan to move on to someplace different next week. Sometime I'll do a real polish on the stories and send them out, but not now, not seriously.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Working on my new novel. It's coming along slowly since I'm still worldbuilding.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't even notice the year of it...according to my notes, I was working on a short story that particular week, one I finished later in the year and had bounced a couple of times by the end of the year...good times, good times...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah. I didn't notice the year. Funny. Not sure what I wrote then. I wasn't writing as steadily as as I am now.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I sat by the phone waiting for Joni to call. I'm still waiting. Hmmmm, maybe I bet check to see if its plugged in.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.