Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Locus Spreadsheet

Author Topic: Locus Spreadsheet
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I came across as fantastic tool for figuring out which agents actually SELL fantasy and science fiction.

You may or may not be acquainted with Locus Magaine. It is the leading publication for tracking News, Reviews, Resources, and Perspectives of Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror. I'm not sure what the percentage of sales that are reported in Locus but I understand that it is very high (even higher than Publisher's Marketplace).

So I found this great spreadsheet that tracks sales reported in Locus for the past several years.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mgoodin68/locus.htm

It is fascinating to look at the list and see the names of the people who are getting sales. I'm sure it misses some but this is a great resource. It does bring up sales that PM doesn't.

I am absolutely fanatical about making a list of agents who sell fantasy as opposed to just saying they'll look at it and knowing what they have sold. I believe that for a relationship this important, you need to go in with all the knowledge you can.

Anyway a Locus subscription isn't cheap, but if you can it's worth subscribing to in addition to Publisher's Marketplace. And the spreadsheet is free for download.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited February 22, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I just scanned it (it'll take me a while to see things in detail!). What a valuable resource. Thanks so much for digging it up and posting it, JeanneT.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
This is glorious. Thanks a bunch, JeanneT.
Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of cool stuff--

I JUST now discovered (It's beta so I assume it's new and I didn't just miss it) that in Publishers Marketplace you can do a search for the Top Deal Makers in each genre.

BE STILL MY HEART!!

Edit: Agents report their own sales to PM so many sales don't get reported here. Some are so busy they just don't bother and some don't report their smaller deals. This means it's not entirely accurate but still very informative.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited February 24, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.