Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award

Author Topic: Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award
Phillip L
Member # 7699

- posted      Profile for Phillip L   Email Phillip L         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just recently window shopping at one of my favorite online stores when I noticed something I had not previously recognized. There was a link on Amazon.com for a competition of sorts in which writers attempting to make a name for themselves could upload a digital copie of their manuscripts and have them critiqued and voted for. The Grand Prize is a publishing contract with Penguin, amongst other great prizes. Entries are all fiction, and any kind of fiction at that.

I thought to myself, this would make a great personal goal of mine to really work on my piece and possibly enter in to the competition next year. No word yet if there is one next year. I was curious to see if anyone else has heard of this or if anyone has entered? I was also wondering if they do this every year? I think this could be something else that could be used as motivation to get writing and also to make names for ourselves through the exposure to the general public. This could be a nice addition to the Writer's of the Future competition that happens every year.

I just thought I would throw that out there and get some feedback. If you like to check it out just go to Amazon.com and there should be a link on the homepage.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SchamMan89
Member # 5562

- posted      Profile for SchamMan89   Email SchamMan89         Edit/Delete Post 
The main problem I see with this is that if you don't win, you've just exposed your story to the whole world. At that point, I doubt any publisher would take it.

That's just my guess from what I can tell. I'd check more into it, but I'm at school and about to head to Philosophy.

~Chris

Posts: 105 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think you would use up the epub rights and many publishers want those these days. I don't want to enter any contest where that's the case.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phillip L
Member # 7699

- posted      Profile for Phillip L   Email Phillip L         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a very good point. That would be something worth finding out. I do know, however, that they will only show part of the entire manuscript on-line for voters, like 5000 words or so. I am unsure if that makes any difference, but at least it's not the entire piece.
Posts: 25 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually publishing one chapter doesn't affect publication rights. I sold mine with a chapter online with no problem. But it's something I would check into first to be sure.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a discussion of this very issue at a conference I went to recently.

More and more, online novel publication is not an issue when converting to print publishing.

Print readers are not hugely likely to read online, so landing a print publication after online self-publishing doesn't really effect the print marketability.

The same is likely NOT true for short story publication, mainly because the market for short stories is hugely smaller than for novel length work.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
This is Amazon we're talking about - they're in the business of selling books. I don't see anything on their FAQ page specifically addressing the electronic rights issue:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200183200
But they do mention that you retain "all content rights."

I also believe they only post the full MSs of the top 10 semi-finalists, though I haven't dug into the rules very deeply to be sure.

It looks to me like a worthwhile contest. Good luck!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.