Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Who is entering WotF this quarter ~ Deadline March 31st.

Author Topic: Who is entering WotF this quarter ~ Deadline March 31st.
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondered who is planning to enter or has already entered WotF this quarter?

I am.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
If my entry is done in time, I am.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a whirl. It will be my first attempt.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
What IB said.

Inkwell
------------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
I've entered every quarter since the first quarter of 2005 and will do so again for the next quarter and every quarter after until I place. Being a blind judging, there's nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. I don't want to tie up one of my few remaining unsold short stories in a contest where I think I have so little chance of winning.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Why JT? as Luapc said you have everything to gain and nothing to lose, other than the postal price of sending it. It's no different than sending it to a major magazine and the exposure is at least as good. It will give you a good idea on where you stack up with other writers. If you make the HM list you're probably good enough to get published somewhere.

Why are their so many hatrackers entering and so little are participating in the WOTF group for this quarter? Is it because any of the members is a SOB and you don't want to associate with them? If it is let us know and we'll quick the bum out!

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

I have to say that JeanneT has a valid reason not to enter. Her style of writing is Heroic Fantasy, on the same vein as Tolkein wrote, and can win in the contest, but it is rare when it does. Because of that, she feels that her stories have a greater chance of publication in a magazine which chooses her style of story to publish. What that means is that she understands the WOTF market and has determined her stories don't fit as well as someplace else.

Like I've said many times, the way to look at WOTF is as just another market. As with all writing, you have to be aware of the readership of the publications you are submitting to. For example, it would be pointless to submit a Western to WOTF unless it had a fantastical element, like King's Dark Tower series. It would end up rejected as not fit for the market.

As far as the number of people on Hatrack that enter, that seems to come and go. A while back it seemed like everybody here was entering, now there's only a few that seem to. Given the value of WOTF toward a writing career though, I would suggest that all authors take a hard, long look at it and consider entering. If you win, it can make a major difference in your career, and there isn't much left out there that does that anymore other than luck.

[This message has been edited by luapc (edited March 01, 2008).]

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I agree with luapc that WotF is well worth looking at. I have nothing negative to say about the contest itself.

While I would say my own writing is probably closer to GRR Martin than Tolkien (the assumption that all epic is "Tolkienesque" makes me irritable), he put his finger exactly on why I've decided not to enter.

It's a market decision--they rarely take to the kind of fantasy I do while there are pubications that regularly publish it. This is something we all have to do. My decision not to enter WotF says nothing bad about WotF any more than my not submitting to Strange Horizons. Neither are a good market for what I write.

If you write something, or don't mind writing something, that is closer to what they usually publish, it's a great opportunity for a "new" writer. And of course they interpret new very loosely.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited March 01, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

My first try too. In fact it's my first writing competition apart from the micro-fiction one we did before christmas.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay,

I understand what your reasons are and I certainly do not wish to dispute them. You may and probably are correct about what WotF favors. However, I always thought they picked the best written submissions every quarter, regardless of the genre, style, length, or experience.
Am I wrong to make this assumption? I understand Mr. Powers flavor of what he likes but isn't he one of several judges on in that contest? What he dislikes is what Larry Niven may favor. It could be that your submission might be so good that it may sway Mr Powers to select yours, especially if he is impressed by something he wouldn't normally read.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Well, for one thing I am somewhat acquainted with what they have chosen in the past and I have never seen them choose anything I would consider in the epic subgenre. Also I have seen KD Wentworth say much the same thing and anything has to get past her in order to get to the other judges.

The bottom line is that there seems to be a strong dislike for epic fantasy among most of the judges going by their statements and their choices and I feel it makes more sense for me to submit my work elsewhere.

Edit: I rather doubt Mr. Niven is all that fond of epic although Mr. Wolverton may be since he publishes it. However, that hasn't meant that any seems to get selected as a winner. Submitting to WotF ties a story up for months and I do consider that a cost of entering.

luapc
Member # 2878

quote:
While I would say my own writing is probably closer to GRR Martin than Tolkien (the assumption that all epic is "Tolkienesque" makes me irritable), he put his finger exactly on why I've decided not to enter.

My apologies for my overly-broad description of epic fantasy.

I write fantasy as well as sci-fi. JeanneT, you've read at least one of them on Critters (after a rewrite, that one made Honorable Mention in the contest), but I agree that WOTF is a poor market for it. No doubt, HM is about as good as most Fantasies do in WOTF. Some make it farther, but they usually are urban type fantasy. I can't remember any "epic type" fantasies in the newer anthologies, but I could well be wrong on that.

But, even with that, persistence is the key to this business. Whatever you write, and wherever you submit, just keep doing it. Sooner or later you're likely to be published.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

I have been and expect to continue to be although that might be pure ego talking.

Like you, I haven't seen any epic in the anthologies. That doesn't mean that they might not decide on one but I do think it makes the odds pretty poor.

I hope I wasn't mean in Critters. I've told my crits tend to be harsh but I usually assume that people there want to hear what you really think. Congrats on the success with it.

Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Volume XV or XVI has a standalone excerpt of Patrick Rothfuss' "In the Name of the Wind". I'd call that epic.

My volumes XXII and XXI, which I currently have before me, respectively, "The Sword from The Sea" by Blake Hutchins, and "Betrayer of Trees" by Eric James Stone.

Ok, it's not a majority (one out of every antho), but they still do publish traditional fantasy. Proportionally, I agree you have way more SF and Urban Fantasy--but you never know.
(my own winner was fantasy in a historical setting, also something they don't often take).

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I haven't read all the anthologies by a long shot so I can believe that there is some in other years. Many years don't even have one. But that doesn't mean that other people would necessarily feel the way I do about it. As I say, I have respect for the contest and would never discourage others from entering.

Edit: LOL On the other hand, I just got a rejection on the story that I would submit if I entered and it wouldn't be tied up any longer than anywhere else. So who knows. I may change my mind. I have been known to change my mind.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited March 02, 2008).]

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
My feeling--if you have a story you think might work, throw it in. If not, don't. For some people, WotF simply might not make sense. Esp folks who are more interested in writing books, or feel their writing style might not fit. Is it such a big deal to not want to enter?

I'm entering this year mostly because I want a deadline to finish a story and I want to force myself to submit something.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but I need to get cracking. It's been a hard year for fiction writing this year...

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got something brewing that I should be able to finish and edit in time - hopefully. It's a little different than the norm for me, so expect to see it in the not too distant future, hopefully.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo1day
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for Jo1day   Email Jo1day         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm entering.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Well, mine went in the post today....

Christian
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian         Edit/Delete Post 
I plan on entering next quarter. Something snapper "said" caught my eye though...what WOTF group? I think that'd be something I like to join. And who is KD Wentworth? That's the 2nd time I've seen that name today....
Posts: 135 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Back out to the menu that displays the writer's groups, such as "Open Discussions About Writing" & "Fragments and Feedback". You'll see a forum called "Hatrack Groups". Within it, there is a WOTF thread.

K.D. Wentworth is a pro author & the coordinating judge for WOTF.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited March 05, 2008).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christian
Member # 7825

Ahhhh.... Gotcha. Thanks, Chris. I'll be checking that group out momentarily.
Posts: 135 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christian
Member # 7825

Chris, I just saw that you made it to the Finals of WOTF's last quarter. Congrats guy. How'd you do, if I may ask? Otherwise, this post doesn't even exist....
skadder
Member # 6757

When you've posted your story you have no way of knowing whether it was lost in the post or not, do you? Not until they start posting results...
luapc
Member # 2878

They send an email in about ten days to two weeks, and no later than a month, after the deadline for the quarter, notifying you that your submission has been received and entered. If you do not include your email address (which I strongly suggest), you can include a postcard for them to return to you to notify you.
skadder
Member # 6757

Cool. I sent them my email address (why wouldn't you?).

Adam

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Christian,

Thanks. Yep, that was me. Alas, I didn't win...

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you do not include your email address (which I strongly suggest), you can include a postcard for them to return to you to notify you.

Yes, why _wouldn't_ you include your email?

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

I don't know why some people wouldn't, especially with all the free options out there, but I know some don't. People will be people, and some just don't make sense to the rest of us. Then again, that's what makes life so interesting, doesn't it?
skadder
Member # 6757

Fruity-loops.
JeanneT
Member # 5709

He sacrificed goats and rabbits to the gods--only way to get short story sales as well all know.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.