Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Format for WotF

Author Topic: Format for WotF
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
What is then format for WOTF?

I am aware of standard manuscript format with the all your details on the first sheet. The actual story starts half-way down.

Fot WOTF they want a cover sheet with all those details on but the story to start seperately on the next page without the authors name attached. Does this mean you start the story right at the top of the page (with or without the story title placed centrally) or do you centre the story title and place it halway down the page and then commence the story.

What do you do?

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I start the story halfway down the page as normally done. In the word processer, I white out my name and address, as well as the byline and my name in the header. I print.

I copy the story to another file, restore my name & address info, and delete my story. Then I print that page, which displays everything up to the byline.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited March 03, 2008).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks Chris that is exactly what I needed to know. By the way and its obviously an irrelevancy as I have no chance of winning, but if you do win and they have this fancy award ceremony do they pay for you to attend...or are they careful to pick winners who can attend? Obviously if you win and you are UK based it would cost a fortune to attend (more than the prize you get for winning!).

Anyone know?

Completely unrelated question: does anyone know if OSC ever looks in this forum? I would assume he does but if he comments he MUST use a pen name. Who do you reckon it is?

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonbeauchene
Member # 7823

- posted      Profile for jasonbeauchene   Email jasonbeauchene         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard his pen-name is Skadder.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think he does. I think he has way too many other things to do.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I read that the travel and housing costs are paid as are the costs of the workshop.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's all expenses paid.

And about OSC, the official word is that he doesn't. But I know if I had a forum in my name, I might not be able to resist the tempation of lurking.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Were it true and I was OSC I would definitely do a little lurking...after all it only takes a minute, babe.
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Skadder, I do mine differently than Chris Owens. I haven't been disqualified for doing so, so here's what I do:

Standard cover page, author info upper left, approx word count upper right
Middle of cover page, centered, Title
Beneath title, my name as I'd like to be credited (I use a middle initial, others use pen names and would indicate that here.)

Next page, top line, story starts. Upper right header has story title/page#. Normally my standard MS format has story title/mylastname/page#, but I omit the middle bit since the WOTF contest is judged anonymously.

I put it into MS format pretty near the end, because I really prefer reading and writing in Arial 10 pt single-spaced instead of Courier 12 pt double-spaced. When I do this final formatting, I do save_as my working document to give it another name (often something as inventive as Storytitle_FINAL, LOL.) Sometimes if I'm feeling there's something wrong with the file, I will copy the story text in my word processor, open a new blank file, and paste-special, text only. Sometimes, particularly when I am working on something a long time or have saved many many many versions of it, the file size starts to creep up and something just seems off. Copying the plain text into a new file solves this issue. Sorry for the random technology commentary.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
I do mine like KayTi's except I write the original in Times New Roman single spaced, then convert to Courier New double spaced. I also make my entire document Bold because of the way Courier New 12 comes out faded in my opinion. My semifinalist story was in that format.

WOTF is pretty flexible with entries, but Kathy has said she likes to see submissions in a professional format, which is what Chris does. The only difference between what KayTi and I do from Chris's is starting at the top on the first story page rather than half way down. I would suggest looking as professional as possible, so Chis's way is probably the best.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I write in standard format (like Chris), always. It took me a while, and some friendly pointers (thanks Chris), to get my MSWord formatted correctly...now I do it out of habit. I wanted to get into the habit of doing everything properly, so I didn't have to worry about remembering anything. Now, it's just a step in the writing process--what I consider getting into "writing mode".

I much prefer the look of the Bookman Antiqua font, but I am very comfortable in Courier New, also. I figured if I adjusted early on, I wouldn't have to reset my habits. It has worked well for me...so far.

As far as making the font bold, I didn't--it looked fine when it printed out on my printer--but I may next time. After all, we all know how much I like bold.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I just put the title on the top and started a few lines below that. They didn't throw it away so it must have been all right with them.
On a seperate note, a few other fellow rackers felt my use of underlining my italisized text to be wrong. I have been told that when you submit a story you are supposed to do that way, so it is easier for them to see that it is supposed to italisized. Am I wrong?

quote:
Completely unrelated question: does anyone know if OSC ever looks in this forum? I would assume he does but if he comments he MUST use a pen name. Who do you reckon it is?

Wouldn't you all be shocked if I was Orson in disguise.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Underlining italics is correct.

I find these good resources for proper formatting:
http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html
http://www.sfwriter.com/mschklst.htm
http://www.sfwa.org/writing/vonda/vonda.htm

Of course, the last link is on SFWA's website, which is the horse's mouth.

Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Hmmm... well, based purely on writing style and voice the only possibility is Rommel Fenrir Wolf II.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper, what people are saying, I would think, is that not to underline your italicised text, just to underline it without italicising it first. Does that make any sence?

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Right. Underline REPLACES italics. Don't do both.

Also, Courier New tends to look pale on lots of laser printers. Ink jets don't print quite as sharp, and it generally seems okay there. The solution is to use Courier 10 BT. If you don't have it on your computer, tell me and I'll email it to you.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

D'oh! Now with a night's sleep, I see that "Underlining italics is correct" is not exactly clear. Taken by the literal word, that could be truly misleading. My apologies. Fatigue and multitasking and typing don't mix.

skadder
Member # 6757

Well, its in the envelope and ready to go. I haven't done a cover letter (blurb about me and the story etc.), just the cover sheet (My name, address, email, etc., word count, byline and title). They don't ask for one.

Any thoughts?

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

No cover letter needed for WOTF.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx on the whole underlining/italisize fromat thing everybody.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
“Hmmm... well, based purely on writing style and voice the only possibility is Rommel Fenrir Wolf II. “

Doctor You did it, you caught me I am OSC.

NOT.

Just found this by sheer chance.

And yes I have been drink ing.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.