Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Accidental Pun-ification

Author Topic: Accidental Pun-ification
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else noticed how easily puns seem to surface in conversation? I'm not talking about deliberate puns (the kind done on purpose by people who think they're clever and want everyone else to think so, too); I'm talking about the accidental puns that seem to come from the mouths of even the most serious people (the kind of people who try to ignore the pun when it pops out of their own mouth).

In my amateur opinion, I think this is how it works:

When a topic of conversation is being discussed, your brain searches for every piece of vocabulary you own that is related to that topic. Because many words have multiple meanings and applications, some of the words related to the topic will slip into the conversation, but used for some of their other meanings.

For example, in a recent discussion thread relating to vampires, blood and technology, I replied with the expression "in another vein". I rarely use this expression, using something innocent like "How about this", or in another direction". But there was vein.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Association is an interesting thing. I wish I were a good enough craftsmen that I could use that as a tool in my writing.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday a friend told me that he had to go for a colonoscopy. I replied, without forethought, "I hope everything comes out OK"
It was not until much later that the connection occurred to me. I hope that he is still my friend.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
The connection...bleuh..
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.