Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » My first rejection

Author Topic: My first rejection
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got my first rejection letter. I am so excited. Why do I feel so good?

Did anyone else feel happy about theirs?

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. It meant I was a writer not just someone scribbing stories on legal pads between docket calls.

Congrats on sending it out.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Not remotely. I suppose it probably bodes well, though, that you seem to enjoy rejection.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Oh--I just notice why. There was a wierd glitch in the manuscript (electric submission) A fragment of a line got locked into some weird format. It repeated itself on three lines. I hate Word '07
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats--you are an aspiring professional now! Did they say why they rejected it?

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I was thrilled by my first rejection. It's the later ones that got hard.

And I swear the ones that are the hardest are the ones that say we really liked this BUT... LOL

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited March 07, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Thanks Skadder. It was an auto response and it only took two weeks, so I was a little bummed that it was in the slush pile. The I realized that there was the format error that I mentioned above. I guess that is good though. I corrected it by cuting and pasting into a new file piece by piece. The old doc had a bermuda triangle in it that would keep jumbling things.
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
You rock. Rejections mean you're sending stuff out there. Some writers never make it that far. Good on ya...

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

That makes me

6-1-0
submits-rejects-accepts
plus three on deck.

KStar
Member # 4968

- posted      Profile for KStar           Edit/Delete Post 
I've just had my first 5 rejections. I'm over it now.

Kudos to you for feeling good!

Posts: 141 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn’t actually send anything out, but last night I turned over in the bed and bumped my wife's shoulder. Without really waking up, she mumbled something about having to get up early tomorrow. Does that count as a rejection? I mean there was no actual letter- but then there was no real inquiry, so…. Hmmm.

Still, I kinda know how you feel.

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you BT!

I felt pretty good about my first rejection. Number 21 is a little tougher. Now that first acceptance, thats nice. Still waiting for my first pro-sale.
Keep it up.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
lol tnwilz.

I am actually really excited about getting my first rejection letter. I think I might even frame it.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I am sure that the next one won't feel nice.
gobi13x
Member # 6837

- posted      Profile for gobi13x   Email gobi13x         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember my first rejection. They said they thought it was very well written, but the editor did not like the content. O well, it could have been worse.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I hated my first, and the next so many after that. These days, I'm just glad to get them back so I know one way or the other and can move on.

I did enjoy getting a letter asking for a partial, but then the wait is agonising until you get a reply, then when they reject after that, you realise all the worry was for nothing.

At least, Bent Tree, you know you're a writer now, good luck the next ones.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would have been more excited by my first rejection if it had been a first acceptance...but, then, all those early rejections were deserved. It's the more recent ones I have issues with.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
My first rejection, they didn't even send a form letter. They just sent the manuscript back. Of course, back then, I misunderstood proper formatting. Hopefully my name is not on their reject-on-sight list.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Some publications will write a rejection that will help your story, while others will have you making an appointment on the shrinks couch.
My favorite is from Flash Me magazine. You will get at least four opinions of a couple of sentences or more on what they thought of your piece. Getting a single 'yes' or even a 'maybe' is a great moral booster.

While others like Postcards From... will give you a

Your story has been sent to the Lake of Fire. Have a nice day.

Not much help but it does make me laugh and they are quick. It took four hours for my last rejection to come back from them. Now thats service.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited March 08, 2008).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that first rejection... Torn between expecting that your writing will appear in the public venue, and afraid to see what they say. I actually don't remember what my first of many form rejections said. Mostly because it took me a while to figure out that the forms were nicely written but impersonal.

My first rejection that I actually remember was my first personal rejection, where the editor took the time to say that he liked the story, and really enjoyed the writing, BUT...

You'll notice I don't remember much after the BUT...

Good luck. Keep submitting. Do you best to roll with the punches. For me, it got harder when I'd gotten 21 rejections with no acceptances. Then I started to wonder if I was delusional about all this writing stuff.

And then, I got published. Sorta reminds me of the AA perspective. You got to hit rock bottom, whatever that means in writing. I think of it as hope, well hidden behind a "if no them, then somebody will like it" approach.

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozwonderdog
Member # 7837

- posted      Profile for ozwonderdog           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had 2 rejections. The first was like...meh. I got rejected from Allen and Unwin's Friday pitch. Not so bad.

It was the second, short story rejection, that sucked. Liked the writing but the story didn't really stand out.

But hey. As someone said- rejection means you're writing. Rejection means you've sent your writing OUT there.

Yay us!

Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Thanks Oz. Good to see you out and about in the forum. I just got my second rejection from the same story. This time I got a detailed response. The editor said that it was well written and kept her attention, but was unsatisfied with the ending. As well as other positive comments about the piece. At least now I know it made it to a set of scrutinizing eyes.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.