Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » RIP Arthur C. Clarke

Author Topic: RIP Arthur C. Clarke
kingtermite
Member # 7794

- posted      Profile for kingtermite   Email kingtermite         Edit/Delete Post 
Writer Arthur C. Clarke Dies at 90

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka — Arthur C. Clarke, a visionary science fiction writer who won worldwide acclaim with more than 100 books on space, science and the future, died Wednesday in his adopted home of Sri Lanka, an aide said. He was 90.

http://www.comcast.net/news/articles/general/2008/03/18/Obit.Clarke/

Posts: 64 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that might pop up during my visit to Hatrack today.

Never read his work myself, but heard he was fantastic.

It has been a hard year for fans of the Science Fiction and Fantasy shelves.

Grant

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
He leaves behind a legacy. I am grateful to have been influenced by him.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozwonderdog
Member # 7837

- posted      Profile for ozwonderdog           Edit/Delete Post 
R.I.P.

the bit, in that article, where he says he sent his DNA into space? Nice...heh

Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
*Three minutes of silence* One of the great writers has left us.
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alye
Member # 5017

- posted      Profile for Alye   Email Alye         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the greatest minds on the planet died today. I can’t say that I am shocked by his passing, but I am saddened. He was the one reason I put a pen to paper, anything I have written is because of the kind words in a typed letter that he sent me. I have lost the letter, several years ago, while moving. But I will never forget the impact his encouragement had on my life.

I will miss the man, and I always think of him when I write.

Thank you Sir Clark.

I wish you are your family the best, and urge them, and your fans to celebrate your life.

Posts: 126 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh how terribly sad. I still remember my first reading of the book Contact (long before the passable movie with Jodie Foster...)
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Wasn't [I]Contact[?] Based on Carl Sagan?
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
At least he lived a long life--and even made it past 2001.

(And yep, Contact was written by Carl Sagan).

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post 
A trailblazer; visionaries follow in his wake.
Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
A true visionary who lived an extraordinary life.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

He will always have two shelves in my library.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted some comments over in Hooks and Books.

In my day, when you started out reading science fiction, you generally reached one of three writers first, and then caught up with the other two. Heinlein, Asimov, and Clarke. I stumbled upon Heinlein first, but Clarke came along not very much long afterwards.

Or maybe before...you've probably heard of the movie 2001: a Space Odyssey, which I saw part of in its first run, maybe a year or so before the books turned up. (I say "part of" because my grandmother, who took me, made us leave after about two-thirds of it---I didn't see the end until about seven or eight years later, on TV.) So maybe Clarke was my first...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alethea Kontis
Member # 3748

- posted      Profile for Alethea Kontis   Email Alethea Kontis         Edit/Delete Post 
He was a good man.

I am honored to have what little communication I did with him.

I still remember getting his signed contract for the intro to ELEMENTAL...I probably stared at it for an hour. I am such a geek.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I figured out the Carl Sagan bit sometime in that late night part of my brain where the truth comes out. Ah, well - they're indexed in my head close together (it's a C thing, apparently.) Both greats. And I'm still bummed about Arthur C. Clarke's death.
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Nowall is right. The first sci-fi book I read (in grade school) was Against the Fall of Night. I haven't looked at it since, but still remember it...
Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Hats off to one of the last true visionaries and a man well ahead of his time. With his death added to the list, this truly marks the end of an age of sci-fi.

Here's to hoping the next lives up to their standards.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the greatest of all time.

RIP Arthur C Clarke.

We'll miss you.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
My first thought when I heard this was, wow he was still alive, and then quickly, dang I never got to meet him.
I've only read "the nine billion names of god" But it still resonates with me.

*Lifts a glass to the giant on whose shoulders we stand.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SchamMan89
Member # 5562

- posted      Profile for SchamMan89   Email SchamMan89         Edit/Delete Post 
A sad loss to be sure.

You know, my friend (who knows far more about him than I do) spent about 2 hours telling me all about him the day before he died. He literally ended the conversation saying "It's good to know he's still alive."

He's still freaking out.

Posts: 105 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LCastle
Member # 7363

- posted      Profile for LCastle   Email LCastle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In my day, when you started out reading science fiction, you generally reached one of three writers first, and then caught up with the other two. Heinlein, Asimov, and Clarke.

Yep, second.

R.I.P.

Posts: 100 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Third, here. I discovered Andre Norton at the junior high school library, and read some of her stuff, then went to the public library and found Clarke, and read several of his omnibuses (a story collection with a novel before and after it).

His stuff totally blew my adolescent mind. I still think they should try making a movie out of THE FALL OF MOONDUST.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I noticed the other writers besides Heinlein, but it was a year or so before I bought any of them because I was busy cleaning out everything that was Heinlein.

The first Heinlein book I read (library hardcover) and bought (paperback) was Space Cadet.

The first Asimov book I read and bought (paperback) was I, Robot...earlier, but after my Heinlein infatuation, a chapter ("Robbie") turned up in a school textbook.

I can't remember the first Clarke I read or bought---it might've been 2001, the book, which was given to me in hardcover...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Andre Norton was the first I discovered. Clarke was much later for me.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Clarke was probably the fourth SF writer I read.

Heinlein took me from YA's into the adult section of our local library. Once I realised that SF was written for adults, in my usual systematic way I read all the Heinleins, then started working through Gollancz SF books in alphabetical order, probably Aldiss, Asimov, Blish, Clarke. Or something like that.

I enjoyed his books because his futuristic science seemed as though one day it would be real.

RIP

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.