Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » How much can one borrow?

Author Topic: How much can one borrow?
psnede
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished the first Wheel of Time novel by Robert Jordan (see other post under published books and hooks)..

I noticed many parallels in the novel to Lord of the Rings. The enemies - Myrddraal and Trollocs are nearly identical to Tolkien's Ringwraiths and Orcs. Even the storyline is similar, with some untrained young men (similar to the hobbits) embark on a heroic conquest and are separated.

I've read OSC's Ender series borrowed "ansible" from Ursula Le Guin (I think my memory is correct???). This example is clearly strategic and gives credit to the author.

So that leads me to the post subject line: How much can one borrow? What if I wanted to write a children's fantasy series of some young wizards that attend a school called "Pigworts"? (Okay, I wouldn't do that...) Where's the line?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ansible and Ringwraith are listed in dictionary.com's encylopedia section. Orc is a listed word in the dictionary itself. These words are "big" enough that they are widely recognized. Someone at some point came up with Fairies and elves etc.

I think you can borrow, but it weakens your work. You could write about a race identicle to the Borg and probably pull it off if you're a good writer. To me it's all like writing in the Superhero genre. It just lacks originality and freshness... but it can and has been done... a lot. Just an opinion.

Tracy

BTW I thought that the Harry Potter idea was a total rip off of The Wizard of Earthsea and I refused to read any of them. So to answer your question about a Wizard school for children??... yer too late lol to steal that since HP already did steal it from Ursula Le Guin.

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited March 21, 2008).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I had the same issue with the first WOT book myself. However, as the series progresses, it diverges from the LOTR tributes. By The Shadow Rising, you'll forget all about that.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you asking how much you can borrow and avoid getting sued for plagiarism? Or how much you can borrow and avoid getting scorned by your peers? Or how much can you borrow and avoid being eschewed by readers? Very different standards, in my opinion.

I think the plagiarism part is largely up to the author/ publisher of the published work. But my understanding is, unless you copy chunks of prose, you're pretty safe. Having said that, I remember JK Rowling sued Russian author Dimitri Yemetz for writing a story about Tanya Grotter and a witch school Incidently, Rowling won, but think about the money she had backing her up. Was it fair? I don't think so--I've seen closer matches to Tolkien that the description I read of Yemetz's book, but I haven't read it.

I think the second question is the more difficult to avoid. On some level, we all recognize that we lift ideas from other authors. But I think we all strive to put an original twist on it, tweak it, or somehow make it our own. It's like a cover song, in a way. You can sing "Here Comes the Sun" but why do it in a way that sounds exactly like the Beatles? Rather, own the song. Make it yours (the lack of this twisting is one of Simon Cowell's common complaints). But writers who read other writers will be quick to similarities that might make themselves uncomfortable, and will call you on it.

As for the third issue... I think the very fact that Jordon's WoT books have been so popular, as well as a whole slew of Tolkien-oriented books, is testament to the fact that the reader is very forgiving. They want good stories. Many want original stories, but as long as you, again, make the universe your own, even if its a slightly foggy Middle Earth, it will work. I think the issue is that you have to have a story to tell that needs to be told in that universe. It's got to be justified. But because the Tolkien-esque world was so diverse and rich, I think readers simply couldn't get enough of it and wanted to be immersed in it again and again. Hence the success of subsequent books set in that universe.

But I think the magic is waning. Most readers seem to be turning away from the Tolkien books, largely because they have been done to death, and there are so many that are just bloody awful.

Edited to add:

I just thought of what might be the most important consideration: How much can you borrow and still feel good about your work?

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited March 21, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordmerchant
Member # 7778

- posted      Profile for Wordmerchant   Email Wordmerchant         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think a lot of this is a matter of borrowing as it is a case of genre specific writing. ( This does not include the store shelves full of talentless hacks who have nothing to say.)

Anytime you are writing about the Heroic Monomyth, which Tolkien, Jordan, and a host of others do almost exclusively, certain archetypes are going to be present. To some degree it may be a matter of borrowing from ones betters, but there is also an inate expectation from the readers of genre fiction. Certain character types are expected to appear within their traditional roles, and many readers are reluctant to expand beyond that limited view.

The difference lies, for my tastes, in the characterization of the archetypes. For Example, the Spiritual Guide, whether Gandalf, or Moiraine, are expected to fulfill certain functions, and only their individual personalities and motivations separate them from one another.

How the author creates these characters, within the logical framework of his own unique worldview, what they accomplish and how are the only real variants on the same old song. The variants are the things that will cause me to examine my own personal viewpoints and hopefully learn something new about the human condition.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll confirm that "ansible," in its science-fictiony sense, does come from Ursula K. Le Guin...but where Le Guin got it from, I don't know. (I'm thinking "language" here, not "concept"...its derivation, actually.)

Tolkien didn't invent "orc," either. But there's hardly any fantasy work since that doesn't in some way seem influenced by what Tolkien did---notice in particular the prevalence of multi-book series as a publishing category. Dwarves (spelled that way), orcs, good and evil wizards, elves, magic items to be possessed or gotten rid of, choice of names...there's a lot floating around.

(Even Rowling borrowed some from Tolkien, despite disclaimers---largely it's a matter of name choice. She's not the first writer to set stories in a British boarding school---which, when you strip away the fantasy elements, is what "Harry Potter" is. Fantasywise, well...I can't set any specific influences down...stylewise, maybe a resemblance to Brian Jacques.) (Disclaimer again: I've only read Book One, but a great deal has seeped out into the media.)

It's hardly unreasonable not to find writers who, in being influenced by Tolkien, reflect that influence in their own work. It's a matter of putting one's own spin on it.

[edited 'cause I had an extra "e" in "wizards."]

[This message has been edited by Robert Nowall (edited March 22, 2008).]

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Tanya Grotter.
lol
*sighs, wipes a tear*

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
It's an interesting question. All that matters, as far as I'm concerned, is done well or badly. Now here I may well offend some people, but I think that Jordan did it not only badly--but very badly. But what was bad less that he borrowed but that his characterizations were so godawful weak and what he did borrow with he invested with so little imagination.

Take another duology that I happen to admire: The Sundering by Carey. Not only was it modeled on Tokien, it was a deliberate retelling of LotR--from a different perspective. But (with a some exceptions that I won't go into here--because they have to do with a different subject) Carey wrote amazing characterizations. The end was so tragic, although fated from page one, I literally couldn't sleep when I finished book two I was so upset with the death at the end of one of the characters.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited March 21, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Tnwitz, you are missing some great reading by thinking Harry Potter is a rip off of Earthsea. Except for the existance of a Wizard's school, and idea that goes back to the middle ages, there is almost no similarity between the two. No writer is completely original. Harry Potter borrows from Tom Brown's Schooldays. LeGuin borrows from Tolkien. Tolkien borrows from Norse myths.

The important thing is to have a fresh outlook, voice, image, character, or plot twist.

LeGuin invented the word "ansible" and then told other writers they could use the word freely.

On the subject of borrowing -- you can borrow ideas, in fact, you cannot avoid it. Just try not to borrow too closely, if you don't want your work to be looked down upon. On the other hand, you cannot borrow phrases or character names without violation of copyright or trademark. The words have to be your own.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about names. If I can't name a character Paul because King used it in Misery I'm in serious trouble. Maybe I could even legally use Gandalf--I'd certainly be laughed out of the editor's office though. I'm not even quite sure where that line would be drawn as a name being unique to a work. And since there are no original phrases, I think we probably all repeat phrases as well. The point at which repeating a phrase simply because we're all working from the same language and concepts and stealing material comes into play, I honestly don't know.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I had the same issue with the first WOT book myself. However, as the series progresses, it diverges from the LOTR tributes. By The Shadow Rising, you'll forget all about that.

And three books after that, you'll forget why you started reading in the first place, and who is this character that you think you remember but you might be mixing him up with someone else? I loved the first few, after that I got frustrated.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Annepin, I break out my guitar all the time and sing 'Here comes the sun'. Though I try, I wouldnt say it sounds exactly like the Beatles, is that okay?
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.