Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The real deal or a pen name?

Author Topic: The real deal or a pen name?
Oblomova
Member # 7846

- posted      Profile for Oblomova           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm nowhere near getting anything finished, much less published, but I'm curious: Is it still possible to start out with a pen name any more, or did that go out with gas lamps and corsets?

My problem is that I love my job, but I'm teaching in the Bible Belt and there are some nuts here, particularly with regard to "witchcraft," sexuality, and the like. My district would support me, but I don't want to show up on some Google search (yes, parents regularly check teacher's names now) and cause a big mess. It doesn't help that my last name is a distinctive one. Would that be possible?

Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Pen names still work. I have seen at least one hatracker admit to using a pen name for his material. You sound like you have a real good reason for using one as well.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
No, lots of folks write with pen names. Judith Tarr has, like, dozens of them.

The way to do it, I've heard, is to identify your self in the query letter but say "Davey Jones, writing as Allesandra Cassanova".

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I understand it's a common practice.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
I just claim multiple personality disorder. I'm Justin, but Frank writes all of my stuff.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
If it went out with the corset then Robert Jordan wore a corset since that was a pen name.

David Wolverton writes his fantasy under the pseudonym of David Farland as another example. It is done by many authors and is nothing unusual.

However, I would disagree that you should mention it in a query letter. There is no reason to raise the issue at that point. Just send out the queries under your own name. I've seen agents say it looks a bit unprofessional for an author to worry about a pen name in a query. Once you have an agent, they can handle details like that.

If you send out short fiction, then on you put your pen name in the byline space under the title.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited March 29, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oblomova
Member # 7846

Wow, thanks for all the information. It's good to know I won't have to worry about anyone picketing the school if they find my name on a fantasy piece somewhere.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Why call them "nuts?" Is it really "nutty" to be a concerned parent with faith beliefs based on Biblical principles? If you worry about the ramifications of publishing certain works, fine. But please respect beleagured parents who are struggling to raise moral children in an increasingly secular culture.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

And he should have the right to write fantasy without harassment from "concerned parents" who find it necessary to try to force their religion on everyone around them. We're not talking about something that even borders on the illegal. It should be no one else's business. But for some, freedom of speech and freedom of religion seems to be a foreign concept.

Since avoiding the entire issue is the best solution, I do advise a pen name. I know a couple of authors who use pen names for exactly that reason.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited March 30, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

What JeanneT said (and well put).
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SchamMan89
Member # 5562

- posted      Profile for SchamMan89   Email SchamMan89         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh...Does raising your kid in a "moral" society mean raising them in a society where they're only given crumbs of the truth?

It's a shame that anybody even has to worry about using pen names in fear of the consequences of being discovered. The only time that should even be an issue is if you're publishing government secrets...in which case, I would have my pen name be my next door neighbor's =D

Posts: 105 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that "moral" and "secular" are mutually exclusive.

Nor do I think it's "moral" to push one's unsecular views upon others to the extent they feel obliged to write under a pseudonym.

I'm not sure how well a pen name would work though, if your objective is to hide your identity. Suppose the book sells--how will you handle publicity, book signings and the like?

Also, if you live in a community where everyone talks to everyone about everyone, and if your book is successful, you'll tell your friends, right? And they'll tell their friends, and so on, and someone will be a parent ...

I think it would be sad to visit the bookshop and have to not say, "Hey, look at that--my book!"

Good luck.
Pat

Edited to add: If your district would support you, and if you'd be able to take work in a more liberal part of the USA, maybe publishing under your real name and causing a big mess would be the right thing to do.

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited March 30, 2008).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've considered pen names and ultimately rejected them. Such is my morbid need for attention and praise that I want to see these things I write put out under my own name---the same one you see me posting here, by the way. I even risked lawsuit by putting my Internet Fan Fiction out under my own name. "I've gotta have the recognition, baby..."

Only once did I stray from this...the time I wrote a Harlequin Romance, where they pretty much insist on them being published under the names of women. Didn't matter in the long run: the manuscript was bounced everywhere I sent it.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

The reality is that some worldview is “forced” on everyone in our laws, media presentations, academia, and so on. The Bible Belt/faith partisan is just as upset about having someone else’s views foisted on them and their families through these very avenues, and is just as subject to harassment -- probably moreso considering the great lurch of the culture toward liberal secularism.

One method of harassment is ridicule, and using the pejorative “nuts” did just that.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to use a pen name, go ahead. Various people will give you different advice about when to start using your pen name. I don't know which advice really is the best. However, you might have some trouble keeping your pen name/real name connection a secret, so I'd share those concerns with your agent/editor as soon as you've got one.

And, um, as a person who lives in the Bible Belt and who definitely doesn't read erotica and such (i.e. a "nut"), I wonder how much of your concern is real and how much is perceived. Frankly, I don't care if you write about witchcraft, about sex, or about witches having a orgy. I just wouldn't want you forcing my children to read it "for their own good." I think you'll find most "nuts" aren't trying to sequester their children away from all "immoral" contact, they just want to have control of when and how that contact is made so that they can discuss the differences between worldviews. As in, they want a fair chance at passing their worldview on just as much as you want to pass your worldview onto. Fair is fair, after all.

[This message has been edited by DebbieKW (edited March 30, 2008).]

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to defend Oblomova here, because he is taking some pretty nasty hits that he doesn't deserve. He didn't say that Bible Belt Christians are nuts. He said "There are some nuts here". I know the like. He wasn't saying that people who check their kids' teachers out are nuts.

My Grandparents won't let me play frisbee on sunday because it is the Lord's day of rest. They also, when I was a young boy, wouldn't let me go to the pool on hot sundays at our family church camp.

I don't live in the Bible Belt, but I am a christian. Don't attack him. He has approached this manner in the most mature way possible.

Oblomova, my advice to you would be not to use a pen name. If you publish a book that a parent has a problem with, you can deal with that rather simply. If the parents of your children see a book you have writen under a "fake" name (as that is what pen names are), it could be a much bigger problem.

If you act like you are wrong, they will tell you that you are. Defend your belief.

Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
This could be the new flame wars post!

A moral person can be secular and religious person can be capable of the most horrendous acts.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Oblomova did not say everyone in the bible belt are nuts.

Also he or she did not say he or she was going to force his or her work on anyone.

One aspect of avoiding flame wars is mutual tolerance, methinks.

Um ... If you google Oblomova you get dozens of results, too many to go through. But if you google "Oblomova writer" your introduction to Hatrack turns up on the third page of search results, so just by posing the question you might have blown your annonymity if your name is really Oblomova.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Pen names are fine. I use one. Editors just can't seem to wrap their minds around the complex grammar of Spanish surnames (grin) so I decided to make it easier for them.

I don't know about novels, but in short stories you format thus:

Real Name
Pen Name
adress
email
telephone number

THIS IS A FAKE STORY
by Pen Name

Story starts here

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
i say hide your real name and use a fake.

who will care when when we are all dead and gone but our works are quite fameious.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to say that, even if you are morally right there is a value in avoiding conflict, which I believe was Oblomava's intent.
Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6449634.html
http://www.post-gazette.com/regionstate/20010921subp3.asp
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/24/literal_truth/

I would say his concerns are justified.

I would say more, but this forum is valuable to me.

And I too fear censorship.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
My greatest fear, where writing is concerned, isn't lack of recognition---I get a lot of that. Pen nems prevent that recognition, but that's not it.

My greatest fear is that, I sell something to somebody, and when I finally get a copy, I find---my name is misspelled...

[edited for clumsy phrasing---it's still no great shakes.]

[This message has been edited by Robert Nowall (edited March 31, 2008).]

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
What about a fake resume? You could give yourself a Phd. Say you worked for the CIA or MI5. Most authors have a resume on the book. Can you do that?
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Writers have done that and gotten caught--much to their extreme embarassment. That is unrelated to using a pen name since when you do that the agent and publisher is well aware of your real name. But I don't know many fiction writers who bother with some kind of resume on a book. Why would anyone care when they pick up a piece of fantasy or sf, for example, what degrees someone has? It might matter to an agent if you have a MFA, and I would certainly not advise lying about it.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited March 31, 2008).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd never hide my real name...*whistles innocently*
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oblomova
Member # 7846

Please let me start by apologizing for using the words "nut" and Bible Belt in such a flippant way. I should've known better, and I would never have done so had I known that some Hatrackers, perhaps those who have been riduculed for their beliefs in the past, would feel this so keenly. I hate to have been responsible for perpatuating such an injustice.

Moving on to my next dilemma, I feel I should mention that I'm female. I'm curious how it turned out that everyone thought I was a male, but that's a discusison for another thread! I'm also not named "Oblomova." Oblomov is the titular hero of a book by Goncharov--he's really lazy, like me, and I thought the addition of the "a" would feminize it a bit. This must not have worked very well since people thought I was a man.

I also appreciate the discussion of academic freedom and the need for honesty. I especially like the "cumbs of the truth" metaphor. I agree in many ways, but still want to make sure that future students won't be able to pick something up under my name that they shouldn't be reading. Most students can't even understand that teachers leave the classroom at night to go shopping in the grocery store, much less that they write fantasy or science fiction!

As a compromise between total integrity, which would be publishing under my own name, and total secrecy, which would require posthumus publishing, I'm hoping for a pen name as a kind of fig leaf.

I'm also hoping that most parents will agree with the poster (was it Debbie KW or Kolona?) who said she was more concerned with protecting her children from force-feeding in the classroom than with punishing teachers for their private lives. Is that true?

I hope that either Debbie or Kolona will weigh in on the idea of using a pen name being more or less offensive than the real thing. Do either of you think it is worse for a teacher to write under another name? I'd like to think of it as a signal that I'm keeping my writing and teaching separated.

Oh, and in case we want to read each other's stuff someday, I don't think that people who avoid erotica or witchcraft are crazy. I don't even know whether I would write it myself. I was, albeit clumsily, trying to say that crazies were just those who would read something they didn't enjoy for the sole purpose of checking up on a public servant's morality.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this issue, and for the good advice about pen names and fake biographies. I'm glad this didn't degenerate into a complete flame war; I would've hated to be responsible for the first step in that direction!

Edited for grammar and wording

[This message has been edited by Oblomova (edited March 31, 2008).]

JeanneT
Member # 5709

I think people were reading that as a sir name. *smiles*

And many people use he as a default if they don't know a poster's gender. I try not to, but it does slip in at times.

Oblomova
Member # 7846

Oh, now I get it. Duh. Thanks!
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

On "Oblomova" as a male-or-female name...well, I would've thought everybody knew that Russian first names feminize when spelled (in Roman script) with an "A" at the end...ah, the perils of having too much knowledge in my skull...oh, yeah, other rules also come into play, but I don't remember them offhand...the perils of having too little knowledge in my skull...
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert - Reading both Anna Karenina and War and Peace did teach me at least that much.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SaucyJim
Member # 7110

- posted      Profile for SaucyJim   Email SaucyJim         Edit/Delete Post 
I admit, I tend to male-itize most everyone on the internet unless they say they're otherwise (which, admittedly, isn't always the truth).

On the subject of pen names, I know I was shocked to recently find out that "Lewis Carrol", the author of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, was a pen name. It turns out his real name was Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, and when asked about it directly always denied having written the books.

So not only could you use a pen name to hide it, you could also make a reputation for yourself by denying the press associated with it!

(Okay, maybe not the best suggestion...)

Posts: 59 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm also hoping that most parents will agree with the poster (was it Debbie KW or Kolona?) who said she was more concerned with protecting her children from force-feeding in the classroom than with punishing teachers for their private lives. Is that true?

I was the one that said this. All I know is that this is true of me and my friends.

quote:
I agree in many ways, but still want to make sure that future students won't be able to pick something up under my name that they shouldn't be reading. Most students can't even understand that teachers leave the classroom at night to go shopping in the grocery store, much less that they write fantasy or science fiction!

I appreciate your concern for your students. I never knew the first name of any of my K-12 teachers and only for a few of my college professors. When I was a kid, if I saw a fiction book with my teacher's last name on it, it never would have crossed my mind that it might be my teacher. But that was in pre-internet days, and information is much easier to access now. Here are some suggestions:

-Start your writing with stories that you wouldn't mind the students reading and see if anyone connects the writing to you. If not, the coast may be clear to push the boundries.

-Write the stories that you wouldn't mind the students reading under your real name and your other stories under a pen name.

-Do all your writing under a variation of your real name that people wouldn't immediately connect to you, like (using my name, since I don't know yours): D.K. White or D. Kristine White or Kristine White or Deborah Krist.

Hope this was helpful.

[This message has been edited by DebbieKW (edited April 01, 2008).]

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

To a certain extent, kids are people too, and they have to learn to live in this world and make their own judgments. How much do we want to shelter them? Obviously this answer varies widely for people.

My point is, by taking a pseudonym, you're taking a good step in removing yourself from work that might be deemed inappropriate or whatever to children. If someone later outs you it might be unfortunate, but as I said, kids have to learn to cope in this world on their own at some point. It doesn't seem to me to be such an aggregious thing to be "caught" writing fantasy, sci fi, or what not.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

Good lord, we're not talking porn here. Why should fantasy be something she would mind her students seeing? I mean please.

Writing fantasy is NOT something to be ashamed of.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited April 01, 2008).]

Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow too much to post about.

First: I never thought Oblomova was your real name. I never assumed you were male or female, though if I had to address you using gender I would have used male gender(that is standard practice in our society though many are trying to make that not so.). I do not have the too much knowledge problem of Robert. A very funny post BTW.

Second: I dont think very many people understand the freedom of speech and religion clauses(or second amendment rights)which is very sad.

Additional notes:
BTW I always thought JustlnProse had a split personality.

We've established quite firmly that pen names are alive and well.

That was an interesting story about Lewis Carrol. I think I heard it once before, but thanks for reminding me.

I also know of the nuts that you described Oblomova, and didn't think for a minute that you meant me. *Wipes foam from mouth* You caught a lot of flak there. Many people will read the post under your original and take that person's skew on it one step further, making you more radical each time till someone finally steps out and says "That's not what she said at all." thank you Justln. (I know it has happened to me )

I don't think Oblomova was talking about writing pornographically, merely how sensitive christians can be when the words 'sex' or 'witchcraft' are concerned.

Oh and, Annepie; Kids should stay kids till I say they can grow up, darnit!

Lastly: Yes it is appropriate to use a pen name, even if just to avoid conflict.

And please do. You will avoid a lot of silly flak, and save a lot of parents a lot of time argueing about something silly.

Much of my writting touches on subjects political, moral, and religious. And often, almost always, I write from a perspective I do not agree with. I make it a point to have multiple characters with different points of view on things. And if I have a unicorn or a witch in my story I am not necessarily endorseing the wiccan religion, and do not think that people should react so passionately to it. But they do and will.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oblomova
Member # 7846

Thanks again to all those who posted. It's good to know that there's somewhere on the web where one can open a discussion about pen names and end up discussing everything from Russian naming conventions (Robert, you are my twin) to First Amendment protections. Now I'd better get pubished one of these days, if only to justify all the time we've spent discussing it! Y'all, if I may be so bold, are the best.
Kolona
Member # 1438

quote:
I hope that either Debbie or Kolona will weigh in on the idea of using a pen name being more or less offensive than the real thing. Do either of you think it is worse for a teacher to write under another name?

What a person does in the time away from his job is usually not an issue, unless of course he’s a terrorist plotting some nefarious escapade, but with teachers and a number of other professions there’s a notable distinction. My plumber isn’t messing with my kids heads, for instance.

I tend toward qualifying what a teacher might be doing, to say whether I personally would feel better about knowing or not knowing, and the writer using a pen name. Sometimes what you don’t know can hurt you—or your child. I wouldn’t want a published pedophile at the head of my child’s class. And, quite frankly, neither would I want a pole dancer there because I don’t believe that person would value the innocence that is inherent in children. Ditto for someone who writes erotica. Where there's a more innocuous subject matter, like fantasy or sci-fi, a pen name could be appropriate, and might be in Oblomova's case.

But I think we have to distinguish between censorship and censure. Being forbidden to write is not the same thing as enduring disapproval about what is written. Basically, governments censor and the marketplace censures. Words have meanings and sometimes there are consequences. If I’m working for the IRS and publish works that advocate how to cheat on taxes, I don’t think I’ll have a job before long. But I can go on writing about tax cheating all I want.

Having said all that, had Oblomova merely voiced her concern about someone in the Bible Belt complaining about her literary pursuits, I would have nodded and thought, yes, she might have a legitimate concern. But I objected to her referring to those who might complain as “nuts.” I didn’t object because of hurt feelings. I objected because it was just plain wrong. My word, I’ve heard of Hollywood stars who don’t let their kids watch movies or a lot of tv fare because of the content—even if they starred in it—and they are about as far from the Bible Belt as you can get. An involved parent is a good thing.

I have a hard time envisioning someone who “would read something they didn’t enjoy for the sole purpose of checking up on a public servant’s morality,” though I suppose they’re out there. But that would be like someone reading the Bible just to complain about all that morality.

Oblomova graciously apologized for the “nuts” comment, then seemed to negate that apology by commending the “crumbs of truth” metaphor. Especially with the original “Heh” of that comment, it read like an insult. Should I infer that those who value old-fashioned morality have intellectually stunted children? Are they feeding their children crumbs of truth? Hardly. They’re refusing to feed them the garbage that masquerades as truth, such as situational ethics. And they’re trying to preserve and protect that which is most precious in children—their innocence.

Beyond that, though, there was a time when someone with no basic familiarity of the Bible wasn’t considered well educated. Our formerly great universities like Harvard and Yale began as religious institutions whose original mandate was to train Christian ministers to spread the Gospel. Today, there is an appalling ignorance of basic Biblical knowledge, but that’s a soapbox for another venue. Suffice it to say that a person with a Biblical background has that much more knowledge than one without.

Annepin, you made me chuckle when you wrote, “To a certain extent, kids are people too.” To what extent, I wonder.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited April 06, 2008).]

lscott
Member # 7870

- posted      Profile for lscott   Email lscott         Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, this is a subject with many considerations.

I will comment that one could debate at length on the ethics, morality, religion, politics, economic and other aspects of this topic at length...and some might say that it's already been done.
Many of you make good points on either the "pro" or "con" "side" of this issue. One might also say that this can not be an easy choice for a writer at times.

I know that I feel like Oblomova does, myself. I am in a different profession, but still one that has an influence on others, from young to old. Don't most of us in one way or another? Isn't that one of the purposes of sharing one's writing?

I am also a parent and a Christian, in fact, I am a "preacher's daughter". There are times when I feel as if I must have a "split personality" or something (<grin> ) because I still value the beliefs I was raised with and taught at length while exploring how my own belief system will "go" as an adult.

I value giving my children(I have three, btw) good morals and values. I also know that there are many different religious and ethical belief systems out there and that, no matter what you do, you are likely to be in "conflict" with someone else's.

In my case, I have debated the use of a pen name because of my own family and the fact that some of the stories I might write, while not "criminal" or "pornographic", could make my family members or people who know me professionally "uncomfortable" because they present adult content with varying perspective of one kind or another.

As someone else pointed out, I try to have characters with different viewpoints in my stories and, invariably, someone will not like one of them. That's part of having a FICTIONAL but plausible world for your stories, I think. Sometimes, just writing about different ideas, causes a writer to think deeper about what they believe or feel. I think that is one of the purposes of it.

Having said all that (yes, one of my problems as a writer is verbosity, sorry), I would like to say that I personally feel as if we've given her (another female writer, yay!) enough "food for thought" and that, ultimately, our purpose here is to provide support for fellow writers, give them that "food for thought", and then allow them the freedom to choose for themselves as their own conscience leads them.

Maybe we should give her credit for being a concerned adult, and some "leeway" for the fact that a writer does not always know exactly how to express oneself in words, after all, and give this subject a rest. Everyone, including Oblomova, had "good points" to make.

Just a "newbie's" perspective,
"Claire"

Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.