Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » One book, three parts? or trilogy?

Author Topic: One book, three parts? or trilogy?
KoDe Nichols
Member # 7884

- posted      Profile for KoDe Nichols   Email KoDe Nichols         Edit/Delete Post 
The book I'm writing has always been a series in my head. I have at LEAST two solid character groups in the same world, in the same plot, with only one overlapping member, (at least at first) and the third part/book would be bringing the groups together.
I have thought about writing a third group but at the start is separated from the others by an ocean, so I might leave that for either book 2 or the second trilogy, depending on what I do.

So the question is, if I can write 100k works for each of the thirds, do I put it in three separate books, or do I cut each down a little and write a massive 3-part book?

Posts: 60 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a similar issue. My conclusion was to either keep it as one novel but cut cut cut, or to cut it into three novels, and try to make each one as stand-alone as possible (hard to get publishers to commit to publishing a series).

The result: I have a duet of two books, heavily edited. So I've lost that magical triad, and yet feel if I edit much more I'll lose sight of my original story.

So, now I'm considering plan B, or C, or whatever, which is to get famous with another book or two, and then whip out my trilogy (after I re xpand it!)

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited March 31, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen Lucienne Diver say that she is more likely to be interested in representing a series than a complete stand-alone. So... maybe it's not a bad thing.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KoDe Nichols
Member # 7884

- posted      Profile for KoDe Nichols   Email KoDe Nichols         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I probably have enough to write 9 books or three three-part books, plus a 3 part/book prequel. So I've probably got the first 15-20 years of my writing career planned out already, and thats IF i don't diverge and write some other series/stand-alones. And thats of course, if all goes well and it works out. Its one of my aspirations to be a full time writer/poet, maybe even do some comedy writing, but right now I'm stuck in the world of politics and developmental support services.
Posts: 60 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd worry more about finishing writing than exactly how to market your work at this point in time. When it comes time to start shopping this book around to agents, if it's good enough to get picked up, the agent will be a good sounding board on who to divvy it up - a 9 book series or a large trilogy.

That being said, from what you've outlined here you have at least a million words to write, and I'm willing to bet you're not past 100K quite yet. With some dilligence and a pile of hard work you should be able to complete the first third of the work (the first part of the trilogy, or the first trilogy, regardless). Then, edit, polish, get opinions, edit & polish some more, and then submit that, as a whole. And then keep writing.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
It occurs to me there are different kinds of series, too. There are series like Robert Aspirin's Myth Adventures--the characters are the same, there's reference to past events, but they are largely independent novels. Then there are series like Harry Potter, where each book is a mostly complete adventure but is linked to an over all story and provides new pieces to the greater quest. Then there are series like Lord of the Rings, which aren't really distinguishable as separate books in that the story is continuous. Lots of other fantasies fall in this category. The book ends on a cliff hanger. So, the latter are what I've heard are difficult for an untried author. I'm not sure what the technical terms are for each type of series, and I'm sure there are many other permutations in between what I've roughly carved out here.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KoDe Nichols
Member # 7884

Well, right now I'm going to aim for a trilogy that will have enough conclusion to be a stand alone trilogy, and then worry about the rest later. I'd like to write the whole trilogy before I submit the first book, in the hopes that a publisher that likes the first book will be happy that the next two are already written and ready for publication whenever. then I can use the 3-4 year stretch that the release of the first books to write the next trilogy.
Of course this all is dependant on wether or not I can write a book that a pubisher will like. heheh

Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
The fabled trilogy.

Over the last year I have done way too much time thinking and research on this very subject.

I have read that if you are a first time novelist, an agent finds a trilogy a very hard sell at best. But if you feel you must go this route, it is best to have all the books completed as the agent will want to know if you can finish the story you started with book one.

As far as a series, it goes either way. A hard sell unless each book truly stands on its own. Somehow the agents can detect a trilogy masquerading as a series.

Now on the otherhand a true series of stand-alone novels is from what I understand a great asset in the eyes of agents, as it shows you have ideas for writing beyond just the first novel.

I hope that helps.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorwenElda
Member # 7871

- posted      Profile for MorwenElda   Email MorwenElda         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first decided to become a writer, my story was almost completely formed in my mind, as a very distinct trilogy. I refuse to cut it down, so this is what I decided.

I keep making my notes, writing bits and pieces, but it's not my primary focus. I want to get another book or two published first, for two reasons. If they know my books will sell, they might be less hesitant to buy a whole trilogy, and I feel I owe it to the story. We all know the more you write, the better you get, and I think it would be completely unfair to the fantastic story I have planned to give it my all when I still have so much more to learn. That story is my baby, and I don't want to commit to being a parent until I know I'm ready.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
That used to be my view, the whole baby thing. Recently, I've come to a new conclusion. I can keep having babies, and luckily, they make me money once they leave the house, not the other way around.

I LOVE some of my first, early ideas, but I need to stop delaying the writing of them. That could, of course, come around to ruin my life.

*shrug*

Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Try to sell the first book by itself - make sure it will stand alone so the sale won't be dependent on the sequels. Just mention the series possibilities (and how far along you are) as an additional selling point.
Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorwenElda
Member # 7871

- posted      Profile for MorwenElda   Email MorwenElda         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, all my stories are my babies. I love them dearly, but this one is incredibly intense. The way I've always planned to split it up, there is something of a closing to each one, each of the three parts has an event it's working up to. But I don't think that I could say the first part would really stand alone. Kind of like with the Harry Potter books, each one has it's own plot, and resolves something, but you know there's more to come, and so it doesn't feel complete. Maybe I'm only making sense to myself now though lol.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a crude saying, but sometimes, you have to slay your babies.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
AKA "kill your darlings."

But don't delete them. Save them in a "darlings" or "babies" file and then go through them every so often to see if they will work in something else you are writing.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Of late, I'm giving a downcheck to works that are "first in a series," or, also, "nth in a series." I like books to be complete in themselves---I don't like to have to buy a dozen more to know and understand what's going on right in front of me. I've gotten burned too many times. (One book I picked up a while ago didn't even mention it was second-in-a-series anywhere on the cover.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.