Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Gramatical Broohaha

Author Topic: Gramatical Broohaha
urodela1
Member # 7907

- posted      Profile for urodela1   Email urodela1         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm often at loggerheads whether to construct a sentence in which strict gramatical principles are applied or maybe go out and hang a few prepositions. They do tend to kick up a fight when you start knotting that rope.

Not that these are mutually exclusive or that proper grammar needs to be clunky, but writing phrases like "Do not ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee" leave a bad taste in my mouth. I wonder if Hemingway felt the same way when he penned that one.

On a related side note, I'd just like to express my appreciation to feend a forum were the abcents of spelczech does not led to...well, the murdered english so prevalent elsewhere. lol

Sincerely,
Urodela1

Posts: 14 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
The rules of grammar exist to enable clear communication. I'm very fond of grammar. However, even I don't insist that proper grammar be used all the time, especially when writing dialogue or a person's thoughts. People don't always speak grammatically. The problem for me is when improper grammar leads to confusion or is used so often that it gets distracting.

For example, an occasional sentence fragment is fine. However, if you have four sentence fragments in a row, three of which could have been connected into one grammatical sentence, I find it distracting and disjointed. It's often confusing, too, because I have to pause and figure out which thoughts are meant to be connected together.

Improper placement of commas also is a major cause of confusion, at least for me. I guess, to me, it really depends of what grammar rule you want to break and how it affects the reader's understanding and immersement in the story.

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll refer you to John Donne's Devotions upon Emergent Occasions, specifically meditation 17.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited April 12, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.