Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » seeing red

Author Topic: seeing red
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Every couple of weeks, I log onto Hatrack and every single topic in every single section shows the little red folder, and every topic line is blue. I get all confused. Not knowing which ones is acutally new, and which ones I've already read. And which ones have new posts, and which don't. Why does this happen?
*breaths out*
It's not that big of a deal . . . I just wanted to vent.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 

I'll be honest, I dont much care for this forum as far as the features and layout and all. I'm used to being able to see who posted last, quote buttons good stuff like that. At least I finally figured out you can see the previous posts while writing a reply...

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you see the previous post while writing your own?
Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hit "post reply" so you see the editing window. Move the right scroll bar all the way down until you see the Hatrack banner. Another scroll bar appears to the right of the banner, just inside the window. Scroll the new bar down and presto! You can see the thread you're resonding to. (It only works when you first reply. If you edit your reply, like I'm doing now, you can't see the thread except by opening it in a new browser window.)

It's true the colours of the folders and threads aren't reliable. The only solution I've found is to keep mental track of the threads I care about and check them out periodically.

Updating the forum software would cost money, I believe, since it's powered by UBB. Since Hatrack is free (or run at OSC's expense, I've never figured out which), discussions are useful and the moderation is excellent, I ain't complaining.

Cheers,
Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited April 15, 2008).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I lose the "new posts" feature somewhere along the line, from switching from one page to another...but I can usually pick them up by the dates, so I don't lose out on them altogether...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
It's most likely a session/cookie type of thing stored locally on your machine expiring. The solution would probably be to come here more often.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Since Hatrack is free (or run at OSC's expense, I've never figured out which)

With a site that gets traffic like this, as tracked by alexa.com, its cost would be about $10 per year to protect the domain name, and like $15 per month for basic, shared hosting.

So, practically free.

[This message has been edited by Doctor (edited April 15, 2008).]

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

Kayti, I think you might be right that this probably has something to do with my own crappy computer/internet. I have weekly . . . no, daily problems.

Either way, I didn't mean to bash Hatrack. I love this place.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

One more thing. Talespinner, you're brilliant.
In my two years on this site, I have never scrolled down far enough to notice the box with the thread. lol. How many times have I wished I could glance back at a previous post?
Ah, learning.

Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
I too thought I had been seeing things. The red folders that told me which threads had been added too since my last visit were there on one or two occasions when I first joined and then stopped showing up, only to make a brief appearance again in the last week. Are there people who see these red folders everytime?
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 

No.

Maybe that's a Firefox thing?

Anyway, on the main Hatrack River Writers Workshop page, where you see the different discussion areas listed, there should be a link in the upper left, right above the list of discussion areas and right below the ULTIMATE BULLETIN BOARD logo that says

quote:
Click Here To View Today's Active Topics (all public forums)

I know that won't help if you've been gone for a few days, but it will at least link you to a list of topics that have been added to today.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I see what you're talking about. It's not a firefox thing.

I haven't paid that much attention, but I have noticed that sometimes when I log on, they don't really tell me what I need to know, so I tend to go by the date of the last post more than by the folder color.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.