Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Establishing a web presence

Author Topic: Establishing a web presence
innesjen
Member # 6126

- posted      Profile for innesjen   Email innesjen         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently read a very helpful article about marketing yourself and your books online: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/internet_marketing_for_novel_writers.php
I decided to establish my own web presence by starting a website and a couple of blogs but then I found (after all of my hard work - of course!)that only those that I specifically direct to my website or blog will find it (for the most part). I was astounded that my chosen blog site didn't even have a search engine to locate other blogs on that site. Has anyone else tried to establish a web presence and/or found that while you're out on the web you're still lost/hard to find, and does anyone have a solution to this problem?
Thanks for the insight

Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I have my own website and blog that is only discoverable through a major search engine (Google, MSN, Yahoo) and not one of the typical blog sites (Livejournal, Blogger, etc). So, from one point of view, I'm not that hard to find - if you search the internet for my name, I'm pretty much the first thing that pops up (humourous note - my middle name is my fathers name, and since I use my middle name on my website and to submit stories, I'm also the first link when you Google him as well).

Now, if you have no reason to search for me on the internet, then yes, I'm relatively invisible. To alleviate that, I participate in as many of my friends blogs as I can, comment on forums such as this, and try to make sure that I can link back to my own webpage/blog. At the very least, I leave my name behind, like so.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I found (after all of my hard work - of course!)that only those that I specifically direct to my website or blog will find it (for the most part).

Surely this doesn't really surprise you? You can have the greatest product in the world, but if no one knows about it, it will flop. A website won't sell itself. You have to be the one to promote it, since you are the one who is emotionally vested in it.

I do website design, and my career is in advertising, graphic design, marketing, and sales. A website is like any other business... you have to market it in order for customers to find it. Using cross-promotion, ie using other forms of advertising (TV, radio, newspaper, magazines, trade journals) and referring to your web address, is best. But if you aren't operating on that level, then cross promoting and exchanging links with other reputable sites is your best bet.

Google is highly protective of their search engine secrets, but in the 200+ elements it uses in its search engine algorithms to build relevancy, having links to and from other reputable sites is probably in the top 5 or 10 of importance. Do a search on SEO, or Search Engine Optimization if you truly want to learn how to rank higher on searches.

Don't submit your URL to search engine farms... those business trolls who advertise they'll send your address out to hundreds of places... That will actually decrease your rating on the search engines. The key here is that you need reputable links, not ones that are black listed as spam collectors.

Build your site so you have worthy content once you start getting visitors, build your link network, exchange links with reputable sites, increase your chances of going viral by padding in video, RSS, forums, etc., but most of all, make your content relevant. If you go beyond a pre-fabricated blog site, you want to pay attention to headline tags, domain name, page titles, and building your keywords into your text.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried it a while ago and gave up because there was too much hard work involved in driving traffic to my site.

I used APlus.net to host the website, and had companion blogs with Typepad.com, cross-linked of course. I paid extra for an APlus.net tool which registered the website with Google, Technorati and other major search engines.

I followed advice like the reference you quoted--here's another one: http://www.commoncraft.com/archives/000443.html

But the trouble is that (a) everyone else is following the same advice (so you gotta stand out somehow) and (b) most of the advice suggests contributing to other blogs in order to get trackbacks to your own. I could find few blogs I could be bothered to contribute to (aside from my own of course).

I concluded I'd have to put a huge amount of effort into promoting the site, more than I'm prepared to spend. And after all that, there's still an element of luck in it. But if you want people to find you on the net, you'll have to work at it, there's really no easy answer.

Sorry to be so negative,
Pat

p.s. Mind, you have to take every opportunity to tell people about your website, by putting a link in your e-mail sig for example. It's not in your Hatrack profile.

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
innesjen
Member # 6126

Thanks everyone for your comments. It's nice to get some perspective on a topic I know so little about/am so new to. Who knew that when you decide to write a novel so much more work goes into giving it life than just writing? I'm sure it was different prior to the internet, but this is the age we live in and we must adhere to its demands.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Your blog and your website need to be integrated, ideally with the blog embedded in the website. The website needs a unique domain name, ideally based on however you are credited for your published works. www.joeschmoe.com for instance.

Then you need to get into the scene. You need to have content that is updated frequently (in my observation, that's at least 3-5x/week.) You need to be linked to by others (best bet is to write interesting stuff, then people link to you and talk about what you wrote.) You need to link to others (this is often how people find good sites is by following these bread-crumb trails...let's see what JoeSchmoe says today, oh, he thinks that what HenryStevens wrote is bunk...but HenryStevens has some good things to say about HarrietBunkley, I like her, she's spunky, and she's just reviewed the book I finished last week and noticed the same plot hole I noticed!....)

I have gleaned this from conversations with some Industry Experts (I'm not going to unmask them, you'll have to trust me. They're the kind of people who are quoted in the Wall Street Journal a couple times a week.) I haven't yet implemented all the suggestions, but I do have two domain names purchased for my planned sites (I have two going, one specifically focused on technology, one as my "author site")

Good luck with this!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, you might want to try searching on the term "search engine optimization" and see what that can tell you.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jennifer,

It's good that the link is now in your profile--but it doesn't work: you don't need to type the http:// because Hatrack puts it in for you. Lesson 1: always check your links.

I'd suggest proof-reading your site. For example, it's "excellence" and "created". Also, each page has a different background, a different look and feel. Most websites use the same background for all the pages to create a strong sense of identity in the reader's mind.

There are several guides out there for designing websites. Here's a simple one, for example:

http://www.vorburger.ch/kissfp/styleguide/index.html

Welcome to the Internet!
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
innesjen
Member # 6126

Thanks for all of the input. I changed my website (backgrounds and spelling errors) and I'm hoping to obtain my own website (intead of keeping it running through geocities). Does anyone know of the best place on the web to obtain a domain name? I was considering staying with yahoo/geocities because their rates seem reasonable. Any suggestions?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just "bought" my name as a website (well, three, actually) over at Registry-dot-com...it was expensive, but it'll do. I don't know enough about where to find "the best deal," and didn't feel like going overboard looking for it.

I am still researching the actual setting-up of a website, though...

[Added edit:]

I shouldn't say "website," I suppose, I should say "domain name." I said I was still researching...

[This message has been edited by Robert Nowall (edited April 18, 2008).]

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Looks a lot better, Jennifer.

Buying the domain name itself is very cheap, provided the name you want hasn't been reserved already by one of those companies that invent them, sit on them and charge a fortune for reselling them.

What does cost is the provision of web-site services. There are many of them out there, designed to make it easy to create the website. They'll buy the domain name, host the site with a server, and provide software that enables you to create, edit and maintain the site as well as monitor statistics. Many offer add-ons like shops, shopping baskets, the ability to take payment with credit cards, etc.

When I did the research a couple of years ago there were two main contenders that fit my criteria (cheap, with editing software and page templates, and with statistics)--APlus.net and godaddy.com. I finally selected APlus.net but cannot remember why--I think their software was more flexible and in tune with my detailed needs.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
You can buy a domain name for under $10 at www.godaddy.com
Hosting can be had for less than $70/year.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.