Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Call off the search! Researcher says little chance of extraterrestrial life

Author Topic: Call off the search! Researcher says little chance of extraterrestrial life
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Harumph! Being a big sci-fi fan and a dreamer, I find this to be an annoying and depressing news story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7351428.stm

and find myself finding all kinds of flaws in the logic of the lead researcher as well as glimmers of hope (if there's only .01% chance of intelligent life times the bajillions of possible planets...there's still a lot of other life out there in the universe, right? right???)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Millions of people buy lottery tickets each week with a significantly smaller chance of winning that that. And there are regularly winners.

I'll disagree, and then go put on my tinfoil hat again. My fillings are singing to me again for some reason.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Annoying and depressing is what scientists do best in my experience.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I wouldn't think too much about it. They seem to switch in their predictions every decade or so.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Take an intelligent Creator out of the equation and the statistics become pretty grim.
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
The dear professor says,

quote:

"The view that evolution involves a predictable progression, such that the emergence of intelligence is inevitable, is today generally considered to be overly anthropocentric.

"Any directionality to evolution; and, in general, the kind of outcome seen on Earth may be vanishingly unlikely.

With obfuscation like this I'm surprised that journalists understood it. Maybe they didn't. I think it means that he's calculated the probability that some other race evolves exactly as we did.

There's no reason to suppose that ours is the only way of evolving intelligent life (if, indeed, we are intelligent). Just because we didn't meet any little green aliens yet doesn't mean they don't exist. It's a logical non-sequitur to say that we evolved this way, therefore all intelligent life evolves this way. If that were true the Earth would be full of intelligent monkeys.

His calculations are about evolution our way, and say nothing about the possible evolution of little green men, intelligent lizards, or Daleks or Klingons.

Bah, humbug.
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
"...tbere's still alot of other life out there in the universe right? right???"

I don't remember who it was, it may have been Sagan, who had an interesting idea about this. The idea is that even if civilizations are present throughout the universe, the chance of any one of them finding another is very small. A civilization must be around for a long time before their technology allows for space travel - even now we have yet to land a man on a planet. Because of the immense distances involved and the high state of technology required for space travel, it is probable that any given civilization will become extinct before they can in any meaningful way travel through the universe in search of other civilizations. Should they survive until they have such means, the chance of their extinction before finding another civilization is still very probable. The idea is that civilizations, if they are out there, simply don't last long enough to find one another.

[This message has been edited by nitewriter (edited April 18, 2008).]

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends on one's initial assumptions and follow up assumptions.

Isaac Asimov wrote something on the chances of civilizations existing. He used the presuption of averages. We are an average planet, have the average chances of having a moon orbiting it, the chances of the planet being in the right general orbits are average, our sun being rather average, and so on. His conclusions were that there were a number of civilizations in the stars at any one time, and even more in the universe. He even included civlizations blowing each other up and life having to recover to develop from it.
At the time, it was pretty good, but now I question a few of his assumptions.
Just change one assumption and the odds either improve drastically or end entirely when predicting the chances of civilizations.

"Scotty, Beam me up, there is no intellegent life on earth."
"Sorry captian. Even with you on the planet, we canna find intellegent life on earth...."

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
The dear professor says,

quote:
"The view that evolution involves a predictable progression, such that the emergence of intelligence is inevitable, is today generally considered to be overly anthropocentric.

"Any directionality to evolution; and, in general, the kind of outcome seen on Earth may be vanishingly unlikely.

Boy is HE going to have egg on his face when a saucer full of greys lands on the White House lawn!

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Take an intelligent Creator out of the equation and the statistics become pretty grim.

Nice.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
They can have my way seeking mind when the remove it from my cold lifeless skull.

I'll keep my telescope too!

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah what a bunch of rubbish.

It seems to me that he's mostly making the case that it's very unlikely for us to ever find other intelligent life. Which, I think we already knew.

But to suggest there isn't other intelligent life out there in the universe somewhere, that's nonsense. It's as inconclusive as "Is God real?" There's a true answer to both questions, but nobody on earth can know it. Both lakcing control, to the extreme, and so a scientific approach is absolutely useless, leaving the matter to personal belief and opinion.

After all, even the darkest spot in the sky conceals billions of galaxies. And if you wnat to talk probability, the probability that humanity would evolve and develop was exceptionally low. But we did. And the probability of you being here is lower still, and exact sperm matched to an exact egg. Probability is a useless measure in situations like this.

IMHO.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't actually read the article, but for me any opinion coming from a 100% materialist standpoint is almost irrelevent, because I feel they are making conclusions based on highly incomplete information. Or rather, an incomplete worldview.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
not to be rude but, i know for a fact there is inteligent life out there. 6 other races in our own galixy. only 1 of them has been to earth before well twice before. the last was 1000 years ago. they should be here "soon" another 100 years or so. 50 at the least.
RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Clarke's First Law: "When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong."
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Oh my lord...you actually found an instance of Clarke being right about something! Congratulations!

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Clarke's First Law: "When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong."

:-) Nice juxtaposition of current(ish) events.

quote:
Oh my lord...you actually found an instance of Clarke being right about something! Congratulations!

He's the only SF writer I can recall who was ever right about something.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with scientists speculating on the existence of extra-terrestrial life, and the probability of communicating and/or meeting such life forms... is that it is not science.

Science is about reproducible results. Experimentation. Prediction based on evidence and data, and then observation to verify those predictions. All four "critical steps" or whatever this scientist calls them suffer from EXTREME low number statistics. To be more precise, he is generalizing from exactly ONE case: Earth.

Now if, one day, scientists have studied the evolution or lack thereof of life on 100 very-similar-to-earth type planets, then at least our statistics should be roughly right, to a factor of 10% or so.

So far, all we know is that for Earth there is a 100% liklihood that intelligent life did, in fact, develop. Generalizing 1-instance of something into a universal trend has a +/- 100% margin of error, so speculating on it is absolutely pointless.

Now in some areas, science IS actually progressing. We are beginning to spot many extra-solar system planets, and where scientists had always presumed that our model of inner rocky plants and outer gas giants was "the norm" our first observations were nothing of the sort, instead finding giant hot jupiter-like planets at orbits like Mercury's distance from their stars. So sometime in the forseeable future, we might have good statistics on the liklihood of a star having an earth-like planet in a habitable zone.

But we still would need to observe enough earths to predict how often single cells emerge. We would need to observe enough cases to actually know how likely single cells turn multi-cell, etc. etc.

Sorry for the rant. As a research scientist, myself, I find it annoying that "scientist claims .01% chance of E.T. life." when his estimate is so poor in statistics it should really say something like "scientist claims somewhere between a 0-100% chance of E.T. life."

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
The basic problem is that scientists are just mean.

It's true...
Mean Scientists Dash Hopes Of Life On Mars

The world needs us SF writers!

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Given current data I would have assumed the chances to be much lower.

To clarify though: the scientist is not saying there never was or will be intelligent life on other planets. He is saying in our small slice of time the chances are low. It is an educated guess.

Sure statistics are unreliable but before an actual theory is invented or life is found it is all we will have.

quote:
scientist claims somewhere between a 0-100% chance of E.T. life

Good evening ladies and gentlemen this is your Captain Halogen, we have begun or descent to O'Hare and I'd just like to let you know that we've decided to abandon statistics from all colleges and universities. Therefore the chances of landing safely on the tarmac or spiraling into Lake Michigan in a burning corkscrew of steel is either 0 or 100%

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

Also, plenty of times the result isn't as important as the research.

What this guy is saying is there is a 0.01% chance of finding intelligent life. Why? Because we would need to find a planet that fits requirements A, B, C and D.

The important part is he's identified the requirements, now instead of spending time looking at all planets that fit requirements A,B or B,D people can triage the billions of stars and start at the most likely places.

[This message has been edited by halogen (edited April 19, 2008).]

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

For me the question is, why does he care? What can we do with this theory?

Does he mean we should not go into space? That we can be as electromagnetically messy as we like because nobody's going to detect us and come visiting with menace? That SETI programmes should be abandoned?

Here's what I think. The scientific method involves proposing a theory, then devising an experiment to prove or disprove it. Let's go and test his theory. Let's go to the stars and count intelligent life-forms.

Optimistically, unrealistically, yet always hopefully,
Pat

halogen
Member # 6494

quote:
For me the question is, why does he care? What can we do with this theory?

It really depends on how the study was taken.

If we were to compare the ocean and plankton to the galaxy and intelligent life then we could replicate the process.

I would take a glass of water from the ocean and examine it for plankton. I would then take a glass of water from another section of the ocean far-far-away and examine it. I would continue to do this to the extent of my abilities.

This would tell me:

1: The % of chances of finding plankton in a given area of the ocean

2: The common aspects of plankton, the variety, the percentage of finding a specific organism

3: What characteristics to look for (water temperature, ph, salinity) when searching for plankton.

I'm assuming they did the same thing. Took a sampling of the galaxy (by examining solar systems and planets) and applied the same method to come up with a percentage.

That isn't fully accurate but it is the best we can do with current technology.

And TaleSpinner is correct, the only thing you can do with this study (or really Science in general) is prove it right or wrong.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, There are hundreds of millions of stars in the Milky Way galaxy. Lets say, 1 percent have viable planets in the habitable region. That leaves...a few million I think (I calculated all this out years ago) and then if only 1 percent of those millions develop some form of life (Excluding Divine intervention) there is still the possibility of thousands of world containing life, and even possibly intelligent life. Now multiply that by the millions of galaxies....

The concept that we are the only life in the universe, even with such low odds, is dumb. The number favor more life, if based on evolution, and if we were to look at it from a Divine intervention perspective, the numbers would be far greater.

I think it amusing to assume that life must be like us, and it must communicate in the same manner as we do.

[This message has been edited by Lord Darkstorm (edited April 20, 2008).]

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Thats the thing...I've always thought there could be life in our own solar system of a type so alien we wouldnt even realize it was there. I think it depends how you define "life"

And thats not even getting into other intelligences on this planet..

MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't buy this article. Not by a long shot. Not because I really want ET life to exist, but because all this man did was guess. The whole of science is nothing but guessing.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
I was doing some curious research and I've made a discovery.

There is a .01% chance that my brother could exist somewhere else in this world. I've narrowed down his four "required" attributes (Complaining, yelling, eating, and sleeping), and the data isn't looking so good.

I'm hoping to get out of my house soon to continue that study in other areas, which will hopefully increase its validity.

Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.