Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » "...like a double-bladed space saber..."

Author Topic: "...like a double-bladed space saber..."
SaucyJim
Member # 7110

- posted      Profile for SaucyJim   Email SaucyJim         Edit/Delete Post 
(Any of you who contest my spelling of "saber" is gonna geta whuppin'!)

Anyway, I've been picking at a world that's been growing in my brain, and it's a standard galaxy-spanning dealie that's available in economy-size at your local Cosco. The plan was space opera with elements of neo-traditional fantasy, but recently, thanks to research I've done for a paper, I've been alerted to the fact that space opera is usually considered a tired and cliche subgenre with many negative connotations.

Now this offends my sensibilities, as 1.) I've grown up on space opera and what I've read has been nothing but good, and 2.) I love space opera, would love to write it, and therefore would be greatly wounded to discover that it's genuinely regarded as tired, cliche, boring, for the birds, etc.

So I put this to you, Hatters: do you think space opera is cliche? Why or why not?

Posts: 59 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing considered cliche is bad if you do it well and bring a fresh attitude to it.

Is the space opera genre overdone? To be honest, I stopped reading it a while ago, seeking more gritty realism in my science fiction than opera typically has (see: Battlestar Galactica). That being said, there is a huge appetite for science fiction out there, and a solidly constructed, well plotted and interestingly populated space opera would likely find a huge audience. I can't really think of a single book-based space opera saga that isn't based either on a movie series or video game franchise. Maybe John Scalzi's Old Man's War and its predecessors - can't say I've read them. So perhaps it's time for a new series to rise up and take Harry Potter's place in the literary pantheon.

Go for it, Jim.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not the biggest fan of it, but it is not cliche. In fact it is the trend so far as bestselling novels. The trend is also leaning toward British writers. I will convey the advice that I have recieved. Write what is clawing to get out of you.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure an entire genre can be cliche. Certaintly certain interpretations can be cliched, but that hardly precludes new and interesting takes on the source material.

I'm not too familiar with space-opera though. It may be like heroic-fantasy, in that the definition really limits the manner of implementation.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I love space opera. Particularly Steve Perry's Matador series.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, an entire genre can't be cliche, although it's true that since certain things are expected of space opera--interstellar travel, romance, heroes and villains, a broad canvas of space and time--it would be easy to fall into cliches.

Old Man's War is a standalone, Scalzi's first published novel.

http://www.scalzi.com/books/omwpreview.html

I'd classify Melissa Scott's SF as space opera, because her novels (e.g. Dreaming Metal) are interstellar and have a romantic element. I'd also include Chris Bunch and his Star Risk books.

Here's Wikipedia on Space Opera, classifying as space opera books that are still available in bookstores (still selling well) like OSC's Ender's books, and Catherine Asaro's Skolian Empire series, as well as older standbys like EE Doc Smith, Dune, Foundation and Forever War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_opera

If current bookstore shelves, TV and film is anything to go by, there's still a strong audience for this genre, overly neglected much to my disappointment--write it!

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

Doesn't Old Man's War go along with The Ghost Brigades and The Last Colony? At least in the same sense that the original Ender series of books followed Ender's Game?

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SaucyJim
Member # 7110

"I agree, an entire genre can't be cliche..."

I apologize for the confusion. I hadn't meant that the ENTIRE genre was cliche, just that most elements featured within (space battles, galactic governments, etc.) were overused. I can agree with those to some extent, such as the unlikelihood of having a galaxy-spanning government, but I stand by my belief that this is an awesome genre. I was just momentarily frightened by what increasingly appears to be a vocal minority.

But thanks to all who have posted! It's been very encouraging. Now if I could only find the #@&!!ing manuscript I seem to have misplaced, I could make some headway...

Posts: 59 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Doesn't Old Man's War go along with The Ghost Brigades and The Last Colony?

Dunno. But "Old Man's War" was his first novel, so I don't see how it can have had predecessors ;-)

quote:
just that most elements featured within (space battles, galactic governments, etc.) were overused

No more than guns and beautful girls are, er, overused in the spy thriller genre, or nuclear catastrophes, corrupt governments and corporate fraud in dystopian futures.

Indeed, I think some familiar elements are obligatory and readers welcome them because they are familiar--who wants to read space opera without getting excited about interstellar deeps, powerful space ships and jaw-dropping heroes and heroines? When the reader recognizes such elements, and provided they're freshly executed and avoid lazy cliche, he or she settles down in a comfy chair for a "good read".

quote:
I stand by my belief that this is an awesome genre

Excellent!

quote:
Now if I could only find the #@&!!ing manuscript I seem to have misplaced

So, not lost in space, but lost in the closet?

Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited April 22, 2008).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

quote:
But "Old Man's War" was his first novel, so I don't see how it can have had predecessors ;-)

Whoops! Great word choice there, Jay.

I did some looking, and those two books are related to Old Man's War, though only The Last Colony is a sequel. Consider this an advertisement.

Jayson Merryfield

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I like space opera...but I've come to dislike phrases like "space saber." I think it comes from a bit of dialog in the "futuristic" episode of the TV series NewsRadio, which went along lines like this:

LISA: I don't want to move to your space pod. It's too drafty.

DAVE: All right, then I'll get a space heater.

It's just that I doubt if the people of the future will say things that way. It smacks of the "isn't this life in the future wonderful" kind of writing that passed muster in the Gernsback era but doesn't much right now while we actually live in the future of then.

So I've tried to purge it from my writing, even taking out simple words like "spaceship" and "spaceport." (My spell checker kept telling me "spaceport" was wrong...maybe it's smarter than I give it credit for...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozwonderdog
Member # 7837

- posted      Profile for ozwonderdog           Edit/Delete Post 
Is Ian M Bank's sci fi about the Culture Space Opera? Coz if it is, wow..

I love space opera. Yeah, there can be cheese, and, like anything, it can be badly done. But it can be brilliantly done as well.

The CUlture, as I mentioned. Stephen Donaldson's GAP series totally changed me as a writer, and that was AWESOME.. Firefly/Serenity I would consider space opera, and that was well done.

I would say I write a bit of space opera, but I like to refer to it as sci-fi lite. I'm not a scientist. I dont know how things work, speeds of light, relativity and suchlike. But I find space tp be fun. So, I have 'down' in my space-ships, and gravity. I make up something that makes it happen, dont explain it in scientific detail, and just move along with the story.

Over-bearing evil faceless governments and empires are going to be everywhere, not just sci fi space operas. Perhaps not dressing them in black, nazi-esque, and having glowing swords or small-moon-sized space stations, might make it a little less cheesy

OH! And Flash Gordon was fun too!

Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
ozwonderdog, you might want to look for Mike Resnick's SANTIAGO and his other books of that type. He really knows how to do space opera.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SchamMan89
Member # 5562

- posted      Profile for SchamMan89   Email SchamMan89         Edit/Delete Post 
The space opera is one of my favorite genres. The Star Wars universe (books included) is probably my favorite fictional universe, despite some shortcomings.

I must say though, if you plan on using "space sabers," make sure that they've got some twists to it. Maybe the saber runs off a person's blood. Maybe the saber is powered by the heat. I think if you just use a regular saber, though, it's going to seem rather bland and cliche. Use everything you can to set your story apart.

Posts: 105 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slocum
Member # 7925

- posted      Profile for slocum   Email slocum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Firefly/Serenity I would consider space opera

In some ways, yes, this is space opera, in the same way that westerns are called 'horse opera'. Big bad government, beautiful heroines, lantern-jawed heroes.

But it also seems waaaay to gritty and dirty to be space opera.

But that's me.

Anyway, as long as you avoid 'actinic beams' (a reference to Doc Smith) and make it fresh and exciting, you're fine.

P.S. Don't tell the editor that it's space opera, so you can avoid the reaction some might give it.

[This message has been edited by slocum (edited April 26, 2008).]

Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

For me Firefly and Serenity were the best of recent TV space opera. Gritty men, beautiful women and dastardly villains in interstellar battles of good and evil. If EE Doc Smith's Lensman series had been made into TV it would--should--have been just as gritty, at least by the standards of its time. The villains had some nasty ways with torture, as I recall, techniques that Niska would have been proud of.

Firefly even had illogic something in the style of EE Doc Smith. The characters fire guns--on space-ships. They stay standing upright through take-off, landing and abrupt manoeuvres--except when the story line dictates that someone loses their balance.

From a writing perspective, I think the scripts are really tight and one can learn much about writing SF from them. Aside from how people talk in real life--Whedon's characters are delightfully philosophical and economical with their words at times of stress.

Cheers,
Pat

SaucyJim
Member # 7110

Firefly and Serenity are easily my favorite sci-fi TV show/movie duo ever. You can't get much better than that (the new Battlestar Galactica comes close, but I like the blatant western tinge on Whedon's work; it's like Johnny Reb in space!).

Why are you all getting hung up on the space sabers?? They have nothing to do with this and I don't plan on using any (well, there will be swords, but they're carried by officers and the individuals in question hate having to lug them everywhere). I was just doing what Robert Nowall hates: adding the word "space" in front of nouns to make them sound futuristic.

As to whether or not I was doing it with the deliberate intent of irritating Mr. Nowall will be the source of academic debate for centuries to come.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I work for the post office. Irritation is my constant state.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.